Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 01-23-2014
crispyythree

::Profile::
Keeping: Duboisi Maswa
Default Is this for real?

Hey guys, I got a question, But to get to the question I need to explain first. This will be a long post

So I sold my Kasanga's to a fellow member here and saved up for the christmas season and thought I would take a break from fish-keeping for now. But I can't really resist. So i got a good referral from Sean aka swk for some good dubs. It took a while for me to save up but I got them. And I am seriously satisfied. These guys are great. I have 21 Duboisi. 2 of them are quite large and were paired off in a sense. So when I introduced them to my tank I left it bare the first two days then added rock work. Within that time I saw them attempt to spawn.

But after i added the rock work the larger male started bullying the female and I had no choice but to put her in my hospital tank cuz she was pretty beat up. But my male kept bullying the smaller dubs so I separated both of them. into hospital tanks within the tank and rearranged the rocks.

Now this is the weird part. The female and male were reintroduced to the colony and they both took to opposite ends of the tank attempting to spawn with the smaller dubs. But have you guys ever seen a female try to seduce a male to spawn? Especially if hes smaller? If my largest male goes to her territory then she dances to him. But I've seen the same male dance to another fish on the other side of the tank! I wish i could get a video cuz this is confusing me.

Is it that both fish are Males and just like to dance around each other? I know the difference between fighting and spawning and I know both of these guys were dancing.

But can the female actually establish a territory and have other fish spawn with her? Cuz i know the male was doing the same thing on the opposite side of the tank. And they never tried to court the same fish. So they have to be male and female right? Some insight would be appreciated.
Old 01-24-2014
timber317

No telling what Sean was watching on the television but I get the sneaky suspicion that it involved modern day cougars and somehow this fish learned all it needed to and is out there cat scratching right now! That or you have gay fish. Try turning on the television to a more suitable channel and re-educate your fish. Leave it on all day and with any luck you will be good to go by the time you get home.
Old 01-24-2014
crispyythree

Uhh ok? That didn't seem to be of any help but I like the sarcasm. Like I said I'm confused and was hoping someone has had the same experience. It's either that or I got cheated but I doubt that. I wanna try venting the said female but i don't wanna interfere with her scales still healing.
Old 01-24-2014
Mikecullen1979

Keeping: Ikola and ilangi

I actually have a smaller female Ikola that will stray from her Alpha and dance with the younger males every now and again. She never actually spawns with the other males but she gets fairly aggressive in her seduction attempts.
Old 01-24-2014
CiscoKid

Keeping: Maswa, considering other colonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyythree View Post
Uhh ok? That didn't seem to be of any help but I like the sarcasm
It was *slightly* funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyythree View Post
It's either that or I got cheated but I doubt that.
How do you go from "I am seriously satisfied. These guys are great" to "It's either that or I got cheated"? Is it really that hard to believe that a ripe female would 'flirt' with other males?
Old 01-24-2014
CiscoKid

Keeping: Maswa, considering other colonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber317 View Post
Try turning on the television to a more suitable channel and re-educate your fish. Leave it on all day and with any luck you will be good to go by the time you get home.
Avoid Springer and like shows for sure!
Old 01-24-2014
crispyythree

@Ciscokid- I was trying to explain my disbelief. I really am satisfied with them. I've never had this occur before not with cyphos or peacocks and haps. I am a troph newbie after all. Cuz even the owner said he's never experienced that. Haha I probably got it coming to me. He said people would poke fun at it and it is weird to ask. But I was simply asking for input. I guess it is possible.
Old 01-27-2014
SunnyHouTX

Tropheus have some left field behaviors every now and then like that. That's says what makes them so interesting.