Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tankmates

Notices

Tropheus Tankmates Discussion of compatible Tropheus tankmates.

View Poll Results: keeping Petrochromis and Tropheus in the same tank? Does it work?
Yes 56 52.83%
No 50 47.17%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2010
gonefishingaquatics

::Profile::

I have 20 red moliro tropheus and 11 petro trews in a 210 gallon and both tropheus and petros spawn. currently have 6 female petros holding and 2 red moliro holding. I think the bigger the tank, the better it is for spawning because the my male petro controls the left side of the tank and my male moliro holds down the right side of the tank.

Troph mpimbwe, namansi reef, duboisi maswa, malasa island

cyprichromis leptosoma kitumba, Cyatopharynx foai Mbita, callochromis melanostigma, benthochromis tricoti, cyphotilapia gibberosa moba, Placidochromis Phenochilus Tanzania, gnathochromis perximillaris

Tanks: 360, 150, 135, 125, 125, 90(reef), 55, 55, 20, 20
Old 11-20-2011
iggyan

I have a 240 gallon tank and i keep tropheus ilangi , namansi fiery fry and petrochromis moshi. all adult size. they are doing really well. a few spawns. the only bad thing about this is feeding. my moshis are just a little bit skinny. (wish they can be healthier), but the tropheus are the healthiest they can be!

hope that helps!
Old 11-20-2011
swk

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyan View Post
I have a 240 gallon tank and i keep tropheus ilangi , namansi fiery fry and petrochromis moshi. all adult size. they are doing really well. a few spawns. the only bad thing about this is feeding. my moshis are just a little bit skinny. (wish they can be healthier), but the tropheus are the healthiest they can be!

hope that helps!
What are you feeding? My mix tank gets mainly 3mm pellets and my petros are chunky!
Old 11-20-2011
iggyan

Veggie FX 3mm small sinking pellets thats it. feed them twice a day, but a little. (scared of bloat from the tropheus over eating.) (What do you feed yours?????)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swk View Post
What are you feeding? My mix tank gets mainly 3mm pellets and my petros are chunky!
Old 11-20-2011
swk

They get 3mm NLS thera-a, 3mm veggie deluxe, hikari excell and veggie fx 1mm. Plus frozen krill 2-3x a week. I feed ALOT of food. Petros need a ton of food to thrive IMO. No problems with the trophs and this tank has been running a couple years. I change 50% once a week, filter heavily and have heavy flow with a wavemaker.

They're not as fragile as you might think! But it's always best to err on the side of caution and under feed as opposed to the opposite.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
1oscar (12-02-2011)
Old 11-21-2011
PsAfricanCichlids

Keeping: Ikola,Ilangi, Moops, Bemba, Red RB, and rare Malawis and Victoria
Send a message via AIM to PsAfricanCichlids
Default Trophs and Petros Together

I have and currently keep Petros and Trophs together with no problems at all. The trophs constantly breed even with the Petros. My petros also breed. I currently have a colony of F1 Petro Bangwe Red Fins and Petro Bulu points in the tank with the Trophs. I have about 6 different trophs with a total of 13 trophs. Never had any issues!
13" WC Blue Zaire Frontosa Male. Cyps and many more.
2 X Eheim Pro 3 2080 XL.
6x T5 HO. Acitinic and white.

20 Gal. w/ 4 Petrochromis Red Bulu Males. 2"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoWiB4566Pg
Old 12-15-2011
jaymusson1

I find hand feeding my trews prawns and krill helps keep the Trophs on the right diet.

Its working for me
Tropheus Brichardi Ulwile
Tropheus Bulu Point
Petrochromis Moshi Yellow
Petrochromis Famula Kilewani
Petrochromis Trewavasae
Cyprichromis Leptosoma Utinta
Neolamprologus Brevis

Tank
Tropheus Ikola
Tropheus Chipimbi
Tropheus Kasanga
Petrochromis Polydon Chinga
Petrochromis Orthognathus Tricolor Mvuna
Old 12-20-2011
thedude

Keeping: t. ikola, several petros

I have 5 P. Reds 5", 5 trews 4-5", 9 famula 3-4" & 4 BGs 7-9" in with 8 or 9 T. Ikola and 5 or 6 Muragos all around 4". The trophs spawn regularly and provide stock to trade for food at LFS. No successful petro spawning yet. The famula are f1s and have had holds that didn't carry through in the last couple of months. Reds are also f1s and I've seen the couple that are coloring up scuffling with each other but no real throw down and divide the tank stuff. Not much activity with the trews yet either. Only had the BGs a couple of months. They're getting real fat and healthy so I expect it's only a matter of time before things could get real interesting with them. Also have some cyps. a pair of adult l. cylindricus and a 5' julie in the tank (210). How's it working? Been doing this setup for a year without a funeral. Of course just added the BGs.
Old 10-26-2012
Floridagirl

Keeping: F1 Tropheus Ikola

I have 15 Troph Ikola, and 7 F Petro Ortho Ikola and 6 Tang Irsacae Ikola in a 5 ft 120. My male Petros killed each other. I just pulled 10 Dewindti out of the tank. We will see if this takes the aggression back up. But the Dewindi and the Trophs have been spawning. Here is a Iphone video of the tank before removing the Dewindti.
Clicking on the picture will take you to the Photobucket Video.

Old 10-28-2012
thedude

Keeping: t. ikola, several petros

Sorry to hear about the P. Okola. That's a very aggressive Sp. and varient. Might have had better luck with 15 or so but it's history now. T. Ikola sure look good. So that leaves you with 7 female petros?. Might be able to add 2 or 3 more trios or pairs, dependent on how they are available, and have it work out. Of course, another 7-10 f1s would probably yield a good ratio too and they grow pretty fast. I'd get them someplace different from the first ones though.