Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 11-17-2011
Neinhorn

::Profile::
Keeping: Lufubu
Default Water change and color change

I have a colony of 17 wc lufubu in a 90g tank. Most of the time the majority of them stick to one side while the king takes the other. But, when I start to do a water change they love it. They swim all around starting grazing off the rocks and their colors go wild. My first question is how can i get them to do this all the time especially with their color? When I start adding water back they color up like you wouldn't imagine, then ten minutes later back to normal. How can I keep them colored up. I typically do 30-40% changes and usually 3 times within a two week period. I do also have a theory that f1s tend to hold their color better than wc. Anyone hear of this or know of this. Other than their weekly tease of brilliant color these guys are great!
Old 11-17-2011
crawdaddy

Keeping: nothing right now

Read this post and get in touch with the guy who started it, he uses a souped-up shrimp-mix that does wonders for his lufubu.
http://trophs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22259
Old 11-17-2011
dylz

Keeping: MOOPS

i know you just moved them again nate i think they will show more color once they settle in. and yes F1 lufubu show a more saturated color than the wild trophs, i have both in my group now and its pretty noticeable.
also like to add that ive tried the souped up shrimp mix and they go bonkers for it.
Old 11-17-2011
crawdaddy

Keeping: nothing right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylz View Post
and yes F1 lufubu show a more saturated color than the wild trophs, i have both in my group now and its pretty noticeable.
So WC are more colorful?
Old 11-18-2011
dylz

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdaddy View Post
So WC are more colorful?
no im saying just the opposite. my beta male and smallest female are F1 from two different sources. i notice a sharper more robust color to them and the WC are just a wee bit more subtle and smoothed out if that makes any sense, haha. although i prefer the color to the wilds, i think an adult group of F1 lufubu would blow them away.

nate, when you say their not coloring up, u mean they show barring down the side? and is it all of them or just a few? for the most part mine stay uniform color however their are a few sub dominant females that put the strips on and dont look color up all the time same goes for my beta when the alpha gets on his case.

Last edited by dylz; 11-18-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 11-18-2011
Neinhorn

Quote:
no im saying just the opposite. my beta male and smallest female are F1 from two different sources. i notice a sharper more robust color to them and the WC are just a wee bit more subtle and smoothed out if that makes any sense, haha. although i prefer the color to the wilds, i think an adult group of F1 lufubu would blow them away.

nate, when you say their not coloring up, u mean they show barring down the side? and is it all of them or just a few? for the most part mine stay uniform color however their are a few sub dominant females that put the strips on and dont look color up all the time same goes for my beta when the alpha gets on his case.
Theres a couple that have the barring, and i suspect they are the younger females but the others are for the most part and my lack of a good description a uniform purple. Theres one guy who realy stands out and is my beta and the alpha is a deep purple. But, during a water change greens come out more on the top of their head and i see more flares of red and blue. Idk if this makes sense but i do understand why they are callled rainbows lol.
Old 11-18-2011
raemaruk

Keeping: Tropheus Murago, Ilangi & Petrochromis Red Bulu Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinhorn View Post
Theres a couple that have the barring, and i suspect they are the younger females but the others are for the most part and my lack of a good description a uniform purple. Theres one guy who realy stands out and is my beta and the alpha is a deep purple. But, during a water change greens come out more on the top of their head and i see more flares of red and blue. Idk if this makes sense but i do understand why they are callled rainbows lol.
They really do show their appreciation for a water change. I have an oversized trickle filter which flows at about 1800 litres per hour and also a nitrate filter, so my water is highly oxygenated and has around zero nitrates. This provides as close as possible to conditions constantly being how they would after a huge WC, if not better. My nitrate filter is a DIY job. There are loads of youtube videos showing how to make one. Just choose one that suits you/your set-up best.
Old 11-18-2011
dylz

ahh yes i use an aquaripure nitrate removal filter as well. that could be the difference. i really need to get over your house one day nate and check out your group. were not going up to atlantis this weekend now they want to go next sat.
Old 11-18-2011
Neinhorn

Quote:
ahh yes i use an aquaripure nitrate removal filter as well. that could be the difference. i really need to get over your house one day nate and check out your group. were not going up to atlantis this weekend now they want to go next sat.
Its all good been a busy week for me. But let me call you today or tomorrow to find out more of this nitrate reducer.