Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 03-20-2011
cichlids_rock

::Profile::

hello all im just playing with the idea of this atm. so i was wondering if my filtration will work currently im running an eheim 2217 and an aquaclear 100 on this tank. i have sand as the sububstrate and lava rock and some flat rocks in the tank as well. i would also like to know how many youd suggest in atank this size. im thinking about doing a kaiser tank but would also like to find some that are really red or blue in color not sure what the names of these would be but im sure that someone on here might have an idea of variants. im new to the troph thing but have been keeping mnuba and vics for several years now. any ideas would be much appreciated.
Old 03-20-2011
Mr. Johnson

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Johnson

For red...red rainbow.

For blue...blue rainbow.

Get 25 fry for your tank. Once they get bigger kill of the males.

Keep 2-3 males and the rest all females.

Some people might say that your tank is too small but I know for a fact that it's doable.

Good luck!
Old 03-20-2011
cichlids_rock

ththatha<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Johnson @ Mar 20 2011, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
For red...red rainbow.

For blue...blue rainbow.

Get 25 fry for your tank. Once they get bigger kill of the males.

Keep 2-3 males and the rest all females.

Some people might say that your tank is too small but I know for a fact that it's doable.

Good luck! [/b]
Old 03-20-2011
cichlids_rock

thanks for the quick response if i decide to keep the males would i be able to put them in my 120g mnuba tank without a ton of problems
Old 03-20-2011
cichlidomaha

The aqua clear 100 If it is a small aqua clear filter. I am not familiar with a aqua clear 100

I would go with an aquaclear 110 which is the biggest they sell, along with the Eheim. I would also add a few med. powerheads one on each upper corner. I would get rid off any flat sharp edge rocks and replace with either Lace, holey rock or Round edge smooth stones. In a narrow tank such as a 55 gal. They could be alot of fin and Fish scrapes on the jagged rocks due to limited space. Just a few suggestions.If you switch it over do a water change before switching the fish in the tank, otherwise leave the tank intact. The set up will work except for the jagged sharp edged rocks, and the added filter suggestions I mentioned.

Thomas

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cichlids_rock @ Mar 20 2011, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
thanks for the quick response if i decide to keep the males would i be able to put them in my 120g mnuba tank without a ton of problems[/b]
Old 03-21-2011
cichlids_rock

ok i did say 100 but it must be the 110 it was the biggest they make formerly the 500 i do believe so id be better off with possibly some river rocks as well have thr in my 120 and like the way it looks but sounds like ill need to make more rock piles than what i have in the 55 at the moment like i said im just starting to toy with the idea thinking its time to switch have had my vics for several years now and want to try something different something a little more challenging. once again thank you for the quick responses.
Old 12-10-2012
jpcreative

Keeping: Red Moliro, Duboisi
Thumbs up My experience and OP with a Tank 55g

Contrary to the former suggestion, do not kill off the outcast males (I really hope he didn't mean that literally, can't believe that was said on a forum like this one), give them away, sell them etc. yes, but killing would be really irresponsible and just bad keeping practice and not to mention a complete waste of life showing poor stewardship.

I did exactly what you want to do in a 55g tank (total conversion from a planted tank -can see it here - http://imgur.com/a/69a1X#15), the depth (f to b only 12 inches) sucks but it's totally doable.

I do not think you filtration will be suitable with any kind of decent rock work though. These fish are pigs and make a mess like most cichlids. I run 2 XP3's on mine and it still doesn't seem to be enough (but I have a good amount of rock work plus the tank is Tang mixed so I have to get food below the tropheus etc.). IMO with my experience. Going Fluval 30/40X and or FX series next time around I think.

That being said, I only have 4 T.Dubs and 5 what I was sold as Ilangi but people are telling me are an sp. red species and the 55g tank has gotten tight as they have gotten older, but overcrowding is a known technique and it works and I don't think I had enough to taper the aggression, def. do not have enough females.

Also, personally, I would avoid the holey and lace rock - I know it's popular for cichlids but I hate it for one (think it's lame, just my opinion) and for two, it's very sharp/rough, don't see how anyone can say it isn't. If your doing rock work, these fish are going to form territories and the others are going to be getting chased like crazy, especially weaker males, from what I've read you def. want to avoid sharp rocks. When I was visiting TX, I found Basalt Lava Rock at a stone yard that was perfect, smooth, yet really interesting and cheap. I didn't quite know exactly what I was looking for, just had an idea and knew I would know it when I saw it. Carted 135lbs of it back with me to PA. Now I'm actually moving down to TX ironically, you'll see that if you visit the thread below, lol.

You can see my tank/fish here for reference: http://trophs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23965

Tank after conversion (looks way different, fish tore it up as they got big):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpowell...ream/lightbox/

Good Luck, my input based on my first run and actual experience with Tang. Fish/Tropheus in a 55g.

PS - What Vics do you keep? Have always been interested in those.