Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 09-22-2013
rhickman

::Profile::
Keeping: Currently DRY :'(
Default Tropheus Duboisi Maswa

Only Trophs I have right now before I FINALLY get my beloved group of Red Rainbow's and I cant seem to get them to GROW!

Ive had them for 10 months now, I got them when they were .75" max and theyre over 2" for the most part now, should they have not grown more? Ive fed them very well, I do water changes religiously, they have good flow, and seem to be happy. Maybe it could be me just seeing them everyday and not noticing a lot of a difference. It does seem like the newer members I added 4 or 5 months ago havent grown much either. Any ideas ?

There is 26-28 Trophs in a 75.

Thank you everyone
Old 09-22-2013
JkdJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhickman View Post
Only Trophs I have right now before I FINALLY get my beloved group of Red Rainbow's and I cant seem to get them to GROW!

Ive had them for 10 months now, I got them when they were .75" max and theyre over 2" for the most part now, should they have not grown more? Ive fed them very well, I do water changes religiously, they have good flow, and seem to be happy. Maybe it could be me just seeing them everyday and not noticing a lot of a difference. It does seem like the newer members I added 4 or 5 months ago havent grown much either. Any ideas ?

Thank you everyone
That seems normal to me, good growth going on there.
Old 09-22-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhickman View Post

Thank you everyone
Yep, I agree Rick. They reach a certain size and seem to just stop. Don't worry. I remember feeling the same way. I just stopped worrying about it, focused on water changes and feeding and then all of the sudden Bam! WOW, they are like a .5" bigger now. Then 4.5"! lol

It's like mastiff puppies. The first year their growth rate is ridiculous. They go from a 1.5lbs newborn puppy that I'm pulling from their Amniotic sack and wiping clean to a 140lbs Canine and then they just fill out from there to a good 175 to 200lbs over about 2.5-3 more years... seems like they don't grow. But when you weigh them in, you're like WHAT???? lol
Old 09-23-2013
rhickman

Went in and netted a middle size fish and it was 2.25" give or take 1/8" because he was fidgeting lol. I think he was a little bent up when he was 2.25" so that's good. It wasn't the biggest fish it was one of the mid size ones with its band coming in nicely.

I also don't think Ill notice a tonne right away because I see them constantly every day, so hopefully one day they have jumped to 4" and are breeding their faces off :p

Mastiffman, I thought you bred those big beauties. I have three dogs, one we saved from the pound and is a Boxer mix, one we got when one of our dogs passed away and he's a pure American bulldog and my last dog we got last Christmas when we had to put our oldest dog down due to the fire and the new one is a Rottweiller shepherd and is one of my most beloved and favorite dogs that I've ever owned.

We had a mastiff shepherd mix before and he was 150 lbs of love, no droole though thanks to the more shepherd face/ mastiff body

Video to come later this afternoon for the dubs, especially to update how clear the tank is now.
The Following User Says Thank You to rhickman For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (09-24-2013)
Old 09-23-2013
moganman

2.25-2.5" in ten months seems a little slow from what I've seen. What do you feed and how often?
Old 09-23-2013
rhickman

I was thinking that as well Mogan, it's funny you ask what I feed I'm thinking that has something to do with the slow growth. Back before I moved, I was feeding shrimp mix 2-3 times a day and started feeding some light veggie flake to help keep them poopin'. Ever since I moved to my house in May I haven't been able to feed shrimp mix cause I haven't had enough room in my freezer because we got a smaller fridge and our deep freeze was toast! They haven't grown much since I stopped feeding the shrimp mix, and only feeding Northfin Veggie and recently omega one super color kelp pellets. I have a feeling that may have something to do with it. It's almost going into the eleventh month now and I usually have them at 3" in 8-9 months.
Old 09-23-2013
moganman

Yeah not enough protein. I've had fish breed at 8 months. They should be 3-3.5" in a year's time.
Old 09-23-2013
rhickman

Time to figure out a way to get the shrimp mix going again. This is just proof! Trophs need protein
Old 09-23-2013
DireWolf

Keeping: Petro "Orange Fin Kigoma" Tropheus sp. Red Moliro

Maybe not Rick.

I got my recent F1 Red Moliro from the guy who bred the WC I sold him last July 15. They started breeding for him in August. He fed only Veggie and Spirulina 3 times a day, nothing else in their diet. 50% Water Change once a week.

All are minimum 2.75 up to 3.25 in a years time, and are a very nice red.

This one is in the mid range size. I can't believe I took this photo over the blue band in the towel, duh!

Last edited by DireWolf; 09-23-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2013
rhickman

Dried spirulina is on avergae 60% protein so they would be getting protein from that, NorthFin is basically a veggie pellet, not a lot of protein. Either way I just whipped up a fresh batch of Shrimp Mix lol, in the freezer now