Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 12-09-2010
WillZ

::Profile::

I stripped one of my holding females last night and got five fry. It was the first time I tried stripping fish and thanks to all the posts here I got 5 babies She still looks like she is holding, so I may try stripping her again. I released two into the adult tank and they were promptly eaten, so I put the remaining three in my other tank and I saw two of them this morning before I left for work. Cute little buggers. :wub:

Going to go buy a tank tonight since I have another one holding plus the ones I didn't get the first time from the other fish. Any size tank recommendations? I was thinking 20 long until they get big enough not to get eaten in the species tank.
75 Gallon Salt Water
120 Gallon WC Ikolas and E. Cyanosticus
125 Gallon Chimbas (25, they are breeding!)
230 Gallon Acrylic, 240 Gallon Acrylic, 40G long, 30G, 10G, 20G are all in storage pending our home purchase (whoohoo!)
Old 12-09-2010
gonefishingaquatics

Congrats! Get a 55 gallon with undergravel filter. Right now i have over 60+ fry in there that are about 1 inch.

Troph mpimbwe, namansi reef, duboisi maswa, malasa island

cyprichromis leptosoma kitumba, Cyatopharynx foai Mbita, callochromis melanostigma, benthochromis tricoti, cyphotilapia gibberosa moba, Placidochromis Phenochilus Tanzania, gnathochromis perximillaris

Tanks: 360, 150, 135, 125, 125, 90(reef), 55, 55, 20, 20
Old 12-09-2010
swk

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WillZ @ Dec 9 2010, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I stripped one of my holding females last night and got five fry. It was the first time I tried stripping fish and thanks to all the posts here I got 5 babies She still looks like she is holding, so I may try stripping her again. I released two into the adult tank and they were promptly eaten, so I put the remaining three in my other tank and I saw two of them this morning before I left for work. Cute little buggers. :wub:

Going to go buy a tank tonight since I have another one holding plus the ones I didn't get the first time from the other fish. Any size tank recommendations? I was thinking 20 long until they get big enough not to get eaten in the species tank.[/b]
congrats! You must be doing everything right, and as you can see, it does pay off. Check your local craigslist before you buy new. Also, bigger is always better with tanks. I started with a 30 gal for fry and ended up needing more space so I bought a 55 gal a few months down the road.
Old 12-09-2010
wth57

I currently have 2 55 gallon grow outs, and am thinking about adding a 75. Right now I have about 20-25 Kiriza Kaiser and 25-30 Nkonde Yellow in one of them. The other has about 35-40 Simichromis diagramma. Problem is I have Red Rainbows, Nkonde Yellow, Kiriza Kaiser and Petrochromis famula Chimba holding right now. Looks like things are going to get crowded for a bit.
Old 12-09-2010
WillZ

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(w_havens @ Dec 9 2010, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I currently have 2 55 gallon grow outs, and am thinking about adding a 75. Right now I have about 20-25 Kiriza Kaiser and 25-30 Nkonde Yellow in one of them. The other has about 35-40 Simichromis diagramma. Problem is I have Red Rainbows, Nkonde Yellow, Kiriza Kaiser and Petrochromis famula Chimba holding right now. Looks like things are going to get crowded for a bit.[/b]
+1 on Craigslist, just got a 6" 125 with lights, two nice filters and a stand for $325 I just have to convince my girlfriend that I "need" another tank. I have bought 2 125 gallon tanks in the last 2 months. It'll be a hard sell, but the babies being so cute should help. Haha... I'll see what I can find in the 55 gallon size range. Thanks for the feedback!
75 Gallon Salt Water
230 Gallon Acrylic, 240 Gallon Acrylic, 40G long, 30G, 10G, 20G are all in storage pending our home purchase (whoohoo!)
Old 12-09-2010
LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Trophs.com Owner Sponsor And Admin

Keeping: A lot
Send a message via MSN to LittleAfricaAquatics.com

Good deal, told you thats how it starts then you have 30+ tanks. That is a nice group of fish you got, enjoy them, Greg
Old 12-09-2010
gonefishingaquatics

Yeah thats what happened to me. I have a 30 gallon sitting in the garage now but i have two 55 gallons for fry. The more water you have the easier it is to clean. I use undergravel filter because the tank can handle the bio load of 60+ fish in a single tank!

Troph mpimbwe, namansi reef, duboisi maswa, malasa island

cyprichromis leptosoma kitumba, Cyatopharynx foai Mbita, callochromis melanostigma, benthochromis tricoti, cyphotilapia gibberosa moba, Placidochromis Phenochilus Tanzania, gnathochromis perximillaris

Tanks: 360, 150, 135, 125, 125, 90(reef), 55, 55, 20, 20
Old 12-10-2010
WillZ

Found a 65 gallon Craigslist with ugf, powerhead, hood, and aquaclear filter for $150. Just have to find a stand for it now. They should have lots of room now. Thanks for the feedback and encouragement
75 Gallon Salt Water