Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > General Aquaria Forums > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects

Notices

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects Discussion of DIY projects for tanks, stands, filtration, etc.

Old 02-10-2013
rhickman

::Profile::
Keeping: Currently DRY :'(
Default 6 foot tank stand

So when I moved into my new house in December, the landlord offered me a 6 foot tank with stand and light. Of course losing all my trophs and still needing to feed the addiction I said yes.

This is how it looked before I got to it. The stand was 54 or 56" from the ground to the bottom of the tank, it was a pig to clean and it was very disproportional and not attractive to the eye because of the height.

This tank soon became home to my super prolific Tropheus Black Caramba colony.

Today I sold the group and decided I would use some of the money for a slight upgrade. So I had already built the frame of the stand, using 2x4"s and my new framing nailer. After seeing it and how nicely the mitered corners looked and the wood style I thought Id try somethin new.

So here was the top of the frame in a quick jig I snapped together.

After using a jig for the first time ( my parents used to own the company who supplied Toronto Big Als and PJs Pets and a few other places with all the metal stands and all the custom stands as well so my dad helped me and taught me about jigs ) I was quite pleased with the outcome, here are two of the "trays" tops of the stands together. All of my boards were warped, Im still working on the picking the straight ones thing lol.

Here is the frame all put together ( 4' version and a bit taller for a sump but same design ) You can see my framing nailer on the ground. Works great for this thats for sure.

After spending most of my day tearing the tank apart, buying some more MDF moulding and painting the tank blue instead of black like I painted it at first. I moved it into place on the new stand. The moulding was $.67 a foot and the 2x4's are dirt cheap, the paint was most expensive and I ended up with a multi hundred dollar stand for under $100. Heres a picture of my partner, my brother, with the tank and stand, as you can see hes quite pleased.

I just wanted to share cause I was quite impressed and happy with how it turned out, first time cladding straight onto a 2x4 rather than laying down some Pine first. Ill have another build photo thread for an extra tall stand for my extra tall 110 Gallon 4' tank. Instead of white moulding I used Pine Crown Moulding
Old 02-10-2013
GMfrontosa
Site Advisor

Keeping: Nothing at this time

very nice Rhick i like it nothing better than a DIY when you put your hard work and sweat on it and love and see the finish product...awesome
Old 02-10-2013
rhickman

Thanks a lot man, at first I was a tad skeptical about the MDF over the pine but now I'm rather impressed
Old 02-10-2013
1711FM

Lookin good Rick.....
So what are you planning to put in there???
Old 02-10-2013
gw12269

Keeping: Polli, Murago, Lufubu

I have concerns about your design. I built a stand for a 55 gallon just like yours. It was perfect. Until I put water in the tank. After a few days it started leaning, and is still leaning. Has been for a few years now. I believe if the tank was bigger, it would have collapsed. I may show up to work someday to soggy carpet. I could be wrong, but just an observation based on my experience. It looks great. The next stand I build, will be studded like a wall in the front and back, with some of the vertical support boards running parallel width wise with the length of the tank. Check out Mastiffmans build thread. That's the way to do it. Be careful filling it, and keep an eye on it. Good luck.

Greg
Follow me on twitter @buckslayerwells
Old 02-10-2013
JimA

Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

That was my thought also, can't really tell but I hope you have the shear strength not just the vertical support.

Nice build all in all and it's a great for you to learn this stuff, so many kids these days don't have a clue! So is your brother showing off a big booger he just picked??
Old 02-10-2013
rhickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw12269 View Post
I have concerns about your design. I built a stand for a 55 gallon just like yours. It was perfect. Until I put water in the tank. After a few days it started leaning, and is still leaning. Has been for a few years now. I believe if the tank was bigger, it would have collapsed. I may show up to work someday to soggy carpet. I could be wrong, but just an observation based on my experience. It looks great. The next stand I build, will be studded like a wall in the front and back, with some of the vertical support boards running parallel width wise with the length of the tank. Check out Mastiffmans build thread. That's the way to do it. Be careful filling it, and keep an eye on it. Good luck.

Greg
Thanks for the input. I have 4 vert posts, two sandwiched together in the middle, then the trays around the outside obviously. Then on in the inside of the post a cross beam, then on both sides of the "sandwich" in the middle more crossbeams and on the far side again another crossbeam. Built a couple stands for 5 foot tanks with this design and it worked great. Never built for a 6 foot that's why I added the sandwich in the middle rather than just one vert post. Thanks again for the comments, hopefully all goes well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimA View Post
That was my thought also, can't really tell but I hope you have the shear strength not just the vertical support.

Nice build all in all and it's a great for you to learn this stuff, so many kids these days don't have a clue! So is your brother showing off a big booger he just picked??
I think Ill have the shear strength. As for my brother, I have no clue. We used to be major rep hockey players so I'm guessing he was forgetting how to raise a thumb instead of one finger, and posted up in front of our "new trophy". Now on the other hand, he may just be holdin up a saw dust boog, proving he was there when the wood was cut and assembled. But who knows lol.

Thanks for all the input and compliments guys, I love it and its a lot nice than the huge metal stand it was on previously. Can someone post a link to mastiffmans thread please, I would love to take a look.
Old 02-10-2013
rhickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1711FM View Post
Lookin good Rick.....
So what are you planning to put in there???
Hopefully some Moops. But well see what happens
Old 02-10-2013
JkdJedi

That's a very nice project there. Nice.
Old 02-10-2013
TrophAddict

Keeping: WC Chaitika, WC Nkonde, WC Moba II

i like the new stand, so what colony of trophs are you getting next since you sold the caramba