Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > General Aquaria Forums > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects

Notices

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects Discussion of DIY projects for tanks, stands, filtration, etc.

Old 07-18-2011
Joey

::Profile::
Default 3D Aquarium Background

Hey Guys... this will be a bit of a spoiler, if you havent seen the entire acrylic aquarium build yet.... but here is the background video i made for it as well...

Old 07-18-2011
Heather

WOW Joey, excellent job... what a great video... great presentation as well!
Thanks for sharing
Old 03-24-2012
WhosUrdadi

really nice...

i want to know how to install this kind of background to a normal acrylic tank. when im doing my research, i couldn't find any regular acrylic tanks with 3d backgrounds... wonder if this is even possible.
Old 03-25-2012
pinoy

Keeping: cherry spot,duboisi,mpulungu,Ikola

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhosUrdadi View Post
really nice...

i want to know how to install this kind of background to a normal acrylic tank. when im doing my research, i couldn't find any regular acrylic tanks with 3d backgrounds... wonder if this is even possible.

here's my 3d background that i got from design by nature. on my 240 gallons tank ( acrylic ). i cut them in 4 pieces to make it fit. and use "great stuff" to put it all together, i posted this @ cyphos.com and would like to share it here.

and here's the link on youtube
http://youtu.be/Nkc82XtsGWM
Old 03-25-2012
Joey

Quote:
really nice...

The video i posted at the top of this thread, is a 3D background being installed on a normal acrylic aquarium.
Old 03-26-2012
WhosUrdadi

I see... How did you cut it? And how can you cut that straight? I really want to see a video from start to finish on how to install a 3d backgrounD to an acrylic tank with bracing on the top already.
Old 03-29-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
I see... How did you cut it? And how can you cut that straight? I really want to see a video from start to finish on how to install a 3d backgrounD to an acrylic tank with bracing on the top already.

Digging up an old one here.. but something came to mind when reading this on how a 3D Background should be cut if it needs to be to be fit into a tank...

I think that it would be best to find natural lines in the rock and instead of cutting directly stright through from front to back, it should be cut at about a 45* angle. This will allow for a much more seamless reconstruction of the background once in the tank and siliconed in.

This is a trick that I've used before when making long runs of Crown Molding and Base Board in houses..
Old 03-29-2013
JimA

Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Digging up an old one here.. but something came to mind when reading this on how a 3D Background should be cut if it needs to be to be fit into a tank...

I think that it would be best to find natural lines in the rock and instead of cutting directly stright through from front to back, it should be cut at about a 45* angle. This will allow for a much more seamless reconstruction of the background once in the tank and siliconed in.

This is a trick that I've used before when making long runs of Crown Molding and Base Board in houses..

I would agree with that!

Where as mine looks like it's been cut it was actually broken in shipping. Not an issue because I would have had to cut it to fit it in my 110 acrylic. When I had it in the 165 I actually siliconed the 2 psc together. On this tank I obviously went for a different look, which I kinda like the crack or crevice in the middle to break it up.

Tough thing with the Design by nature ones vs the one Joey has, is mine or pinoys (which looks fantastic!) is like 1" to 1.5" really rigid foam type stuff. It's not very easy to cut, not sure what pinoy used to cut his with?? Hopefully he will chime in! I guess it's just FYI for those interested...
Old 03-29-2013
GeraldM

I have been able to cut the designs by nature with bread knives and thin hacksaws. To be honest though the bread knife worked the best to cut them because it gave more control. I have one from designs by nature that was 2 to 4 inches in some spots also. I had to cut it because it was a solid piece and I had to get it in an acrylic tank. The tops of acrylic tanks have very small openings.
Old 03-29-2013
JimA

Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldM View Post
I have been able to cut the designs by nature with bread knives and thin hacksaws. To be honest though the bread knife worked the best to cut them because it gave more control. I have one from designs by nature that was 2 to 4 inches in some spots also. I had to cut it because it was a solid piece and I had to get it in an acrylic tank. The tops of acrylic tanks have very small openings.

So it wasn't to bad to cut then? I honestly never tried, not sure what kind of foam it is exactly? I know its hard to hold down, I used 3 landscaping bricks on that small one alone, with a few bricks behind it which you don't see..