Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > General Aquaria Forums > General Aquaria

Notices

General Aquaria Discussion for general topics of aquaria.

Old 05-15-2013
MrFlow

::Profile::
Keeping: Pembas, Ikola, Maswa and Kasangas

In running a total of 5 tanks right now and in the near future will run a 6-8' petrochromis tank. My wife doesn't really get involved. She likes the fish and enjoys when people visit and are amazed by the setups. However all of my tanks are in our common living space, living room and dining room so I don't really mess with "homemade" stands just because it takes away from what we've worked hard to put together. I search for setups that are furniture worthy. Plus I'm kind of crazy having to match things so all of my setups are on identical stands and 2 of them are actually identical setups where even the lighting and decor match. Lol anyway to get to the point. My wife kind of sits back and let's me do what I want with my hobby, but it something doesn't look right in a room she has no problem letting me know lol. From what I see and hear I guess I'm pretty lucky.
Isaiah 54:17 NKJV
Old 05-15-2013
moorii603

Keeping: Hoping to have a group of each species at some point.

My wife grew up in a home with "thrifty" parents. Needless to say, this trait has been passed down to her. I'd have to say that this has served us well financially, in almost all aspects. She doesn't like the hobby, because she perceives it as frivolous spending. She also doesn't see the beauty in the fish I have been keeping over the last few years (trophs included). She seemed to not mind my involvement in the hobby when I was keeping malawi haps, peacocks, and mbuna. She thought these fish were pretty. However, even when I had these fish she didn't want a bunch of tanks all over the house (or apartments before we bought a house).
Essentially my wife doesn't understand my love of fish keeping. She doesn't have any hobbies or expensive habits like some women. She's not addicted to buying designer clothes or handbags, so I can't really complain. That being said, marriage is a series of compromises, and I have to take her opinion on the matter. There are plenty of things I have shot her down on, so when she doesn't want more than a couple fish tanks around the house I have to respect that.
I've heard several guys on these forums say thing like "Why do y'all let your wives tell you how many tanks you can have?" Well, these guys are either not married, or if they are they have a brainless subservient wife, or more likely an unhappy one. Not allowing 10-20 fish tanks in the house is pretty much my only valid complaint about my wife. I think I can live with that. Maybe someday she'll come around on this. Then my life will be perfect, but if not I still have it pretty damn good.

The Following User Says Thank You to moorii603 For This Useful Post:
1711FM (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013
JimA

Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

Quote:
Originally Posted by dww-law View Post
My wife takes pride in our house. She likes a show tank if it adds to the beauty of the overall decoration. However, hoarding fish tanks and fish inside her house is not going to cut it.

This!

Great thing is I am happy with one large show tank, I don't know how some people have time to take care of multiple tanks, I know I don't.. 2 or 3 is fine but when you get into much more I don't really want to spend the time messing with them. Guess it's what your in to!
Old 05-15-2013
GMfrontosa
Site Advisor

Keeping: Nothing at this time

Currently I have 100, 90, 75, and 70 gal tanks however only the 75 is currently set up coz we live in military base ans its kinda hard to move around. I acquired all the tanks here in CA and I keep telling my wife I want a bigger tank! Her response is with all these tanks in the house we gonna look like a fish store, so I just laugh...getting close to my retiement and settling down hopefully i can upgrade to bigger and setup all the tanks I have with no problem....I came up with an idea of a fish room and she said we'll see....
Old 05-15-2013
LanceN34

I would say my biggest issue is just the size of our house right now, my wife got our house we live in now before we got married and it isnt the biggest house by any means. We are in the process of looking at houses but are in no hurry to move. I would be ok with only 1 tank but I would want a BIG tank (6 footer) but right now the only thing that she is down with me having is a 90G. She thinks I have an obsessive personality (prolly do) and that once I start I wont stop. I've always told her if we move, I am going to have a big in wall tank in the basement, we'll see if that happens.

Ideally I would like one 6 footer with a group of petro's and a large group of trophs.
Old 05-15-2013
kraven08

Keeping: T. Ikola, T. duboisi, Frontosa

In my case I'm running a 90Gal so far.... have shoot some times to my wife that i would love another tank, her response was, why dont you better go with saltwater fish instead of freshwater (trophs)... my answer was the financial situation, and the more cares this involves.

Hopefully in some time now i can make her to approve probably another tank for our living room that can be a show off in the house, but i see this in the long term.

She likes my hobby and goes with me to my LFS, buy me some stuff, talk to the fish (probably a little crazy lol) but she like it, hopefully she will recapacitate. Her concern is the financial and time spending this hobby gets, so much cares, maintainance, and all the stuff we have to do to have healthy looking fish and a tank for us to show.

best luck to everyone getting those approvals .... hahahaha ... its gonna be a challenge.... never back down... stick to a good idea ...

Regards everyone
Old 05-15-2013
moganman

It's all about give and take. Keep things nice and neat like most women like and pay the bills while giving her her own luxuries should be good enough. If a woman doesn't know about the hobby before marriage it's the man's fault for not bringing it to the table before hand. I try to let my girl know what it would be like to marry me and she shows me what I would be getting into. Don't agree with current habits and hobbies, break up. Misery loves company.
Old 05-15-2013
rhickman

Keeping: Currently DRY :'(

When I was 14 I had 15 tanks in my house, all over the place some were show some were breeding but I maintained them all. When I turned 16 I cut back. Went down to one tank at that time and was only keeping Duboisi, then I got a second and a third and was up to 8 again in no time. This time buying quality tanks. My parents don't mind how many I have except they have to be in good shape, kept clean and out of the way. I have one show six foot tank which I keep in immaculate shape and I built everything custom for and the rest are in my new fish room. My parents started me in the hobby and now my mom is bugging me for another show tank with only Mobas ! I'm thinking about scaling back a bit but the bug bit me again. My girlfriend likes the hobby. She drives me to get the fish and loves helping and I believe as long as I remember our anniversary, her birthday, and every 6 months we celebrate shell continue to be ok with my tanks.

Speaking of which, 18 months together is in 13 days.... And all I've got right now is my troph money lol

Last edited by rhickman; 05-15-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-15-2013
moganman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhickman View Post
When I was 14 I had 15 tanks in my house, all over the place some were show some were breeding but I maintained them all. When I turned 16 I cut back. Went down to one tank at that time and was only keeping Duboisi, then I got a second and a third and was up to 8 again in no time. This time buying quality tanks. My parents don't mind how many I have except they have to be in good shape, kept clean and out of the way. I have one show six foot tank which I keep in immaculate shape and I built everything custom for and the rest are in my new fish room. My parents started me in the hobby and now my mom is bugging me for another show tank with only Mobas ! I'm thinking about scaling back a bit then I found how much space there was to be had in my new basement and the bug bit me again. My girlfriend likes the hobby. She drives me to get the fish and loves helping and I believe as long as I remember our anniversary, her birthday, and every 6 months we celebrate shell continue to be ok with my tanks.

Speaking of which, 18 months together is in 13 days.... And all I've got right now is my troph money lol
LOL!!!! How old are you? Your parents must give you a big allowance with that many tanks.
Old 05-15-2013
TrophAddict

Keeping: WC Chaitika, WC Nkonde, WC Moba II

My girlfriend was the one that got me into fish and tropheus, in the future when we get married i dont think it will be a problem on having all the tanks that we want.