Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 08-19-2012
TylerB

::Profile::
Keeping: 25 RR

[QUOTE=MYC;186384]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerB View Post
I use a 4 bulb t5 fixture with the following bulbs and really like the results. They make my RRs look amazing and they're still only juvies.

54 watt 12k x 1
54 watt actinic x 1
54 watt 10k x 1
54 watt 8k x 1

Tyler, are these bulbs T5 in a 4 footer or is your fixture (2) 24" T5 bulbs?

If you have the T5 in a 4 footer, how much do they go for each one at the LFS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYC View Post
Tyler, please, I'd like to request those pics of thr rr from Mike McGee. Can you post at least one pic with regular room lights & then the next one w/ the lights stated in this thread.

Please post in this thread since it is about the lighting that you mentioned in this thread.

Thank you
Sorry just saw this post. I'll try and get some pics when I'm back at my place this week. The room the tank is in has no natural sunlight and very low light so pics without the lights on might be difficult but I'll do my best.
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerB For This Useful Post:
MYC (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012
MYC

Keeping: Nkonde, Illangi, Lufubu, RR,

Another question, Do you think, the light helps Tropheus color up or Is it a "trick of the light"? In other words, does the fish change in response to the light or is the situation like when a photographer turns on the light for better appearance. The difference in the two is in the 1st case, fish changes its mood & color. In the 2nd case, our eyes sees the fish in brighter light.

I ask this because, if the fish changes according to the light, then I should keep the light on. If the light changes the perception for our eyes, then I can save some money & turn on the light when viewing or taking pictures.

What do you think?

Thanks
Old 08-20-2012
atorres

Default AquaticLife 48 inch 4 bulb T5 HO light fixture

MYC
I have an AquaticLife 48 inch 4 54 watt bulb T5 HO light with LED moonlights and built in timer fixture for sale. It is in like new condition. See link below:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/aquaticl...t-fixture-48in
Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks
Angel
Old 08-20-2012
JkdJedi

Quote:
Is lighting important for Tropheus to color up?

On another site, I was told a few breeders only have the light of a ceiling flourescent fixture in a warehouse. It was not specified that this breeder breeds Tropheus.

Does lighting affect the coloration of Tropheus? If so, how many hours of light are needed?

Are Led lights too weak in potency to see Tropheus color up to fruition?

In our goal to see our Tropheus reach its maximum coloration, is lighting more of a priority to diet. I ask this because, I've been told that Astaxathin is an anti-oxidant agent that helps bring out the red color in fish.

I'm wondering if I'm concentrating too much on fish food rather than lighting. Should I spend more money on lights or "color enhancing" fish food? I'm also wondering if the Tropheus species can still color up in low lighting tanks. Has anyone had any success with this experience?

Thank you & very interested in all your responses & help...
If they're deep water go with blue hues and if they're surface type you'll want daylight spectrum, but it's really down to Personal preferences. These are mine.
Old 08-20-2012
gw12269

Keeping: Polli, Murago, Lufubu

Here is a picture of my red rainbows. They are in a 90 with the stock 4' T-8 fixture that came with my set up. Clean water, light substrate, and diet are all key to good looking Trophs.

Follow me on twitter @buckslayerwells
The Following User Says Thank You to gw12269 For This Useful Post:
MYC (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012
SunnyHouTX

Quote:
Does anyone know the kind of light that will bring out the yellow, orange & red in my adult Illangi?
I use a single T8 ColorMax bulb to enhance red in my Moliro colony. My main tank lights are 8000K LED strips, the T8 Colromax just adds a little boost to the red spectrum. T5 is too much.
Old 08-20-2012
Gene D

Keeping: Namansi I, Kambwimba

Hopefully this will provide a little insight:

The basic concept is that the fish has to have the color present. If you have lighting that effectively reflects that spectrum it will make that specific color more vibrant or more specifically "visible". The most colorful specimen will only "show" those colors under the correct spectrum of lighting.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gene D For This Useful Post:
electriceelcat (08-20-2012), gw12269 (08-21-2012), MYC (08-21-2012), nicadmous (08-22-2012)
Old 08-21-2012
MYC

Keeping: Nkonde, Illangi, Lufubu, RR,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene D View Post
Hopefully this will provide a little insight:

The basic concept is that the fish has to have the color present. If you have lighting that effectively reflects that spectrum it will make that specific color more vibrant or more specifically "visible". The most colorful specimen will only "show" those colors under the correct spectrum of lighting.
Wow, that's very interesting. Then diet is primary to get the fish to "color up"

So finding the correct lighting is also crucial. For example, if you want the red & yellow in the Illangi to be reflected, should we look for bulbs that would reflect the lower infra-red part rather than the ultra-violet side of the light spectrum?

If that is so, shouldn't I buy the 6,000K or the 7,000K over the 10,000K light bulb?

Has anyone experimented or compare these bulbs side by side?
Thanks
Old 08-21-2012
Gene D

Keeping: Namansi I, Kambwimba

That would seem to be the solution. The issue is that with lower k rated lighting it tends to give your water a yellowish appearance as well. I think emphasis on think the best way would be a 4 bulb T5 that provides an almost full spectrum including the colors you want to highlight. By using 10k + with lower k ratings you get rid of the yellowish appearance of the water.
Old 08-21-2012
TylerB

Keeping: 25 RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene D View Post
That would seem to be the solution. The issue is that with lower k rated lighting it tends to give your water a yellowish appearance as well. I think emphasis on think the best way would be a 4 bulb T5 that provides an almost full spectrum including the colors you want to highlight. By using 10k + with lower k ratings you get rid of the yellowish appearance of the water.
+1 I agree