Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 08-14-2011
jaymusson1

::Profile::
Default DIY Tanganyika salt and buffer mix

Does anyone know of a good Salt and buffer mix for Tropheus which can be made by myself.As Seachem is getting fairly expensive over here in the UK.
1 Kg of cichlid salt used to be 1.4 Kg over here for same price.
So i am wanting to make my own salt mix with buffering also included.

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-14-2011
JkdJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymusson1@hotmail.co.uk View Post
Does anyone know of a good Salt and buffer mix for Tropheus which can be made by myself.As Seachem is getting fairly expensive over here in the UK.
1 Kg of cichlid salt used to be 1.4 Kg over here for same price.
So i am wanting to make my own salt mix with buffering also included.

Thank you in advance.
http://trophs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16574
Old 08-15-2011
WillZ

Here is a pretty good article that has the exact measurements (it's not in metric though):

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/buffer_recipe.php

Keep in mind you'll need to test prior to, and after to tweak the amount needed for your water's chemistry. Also, if you are at 7.8 or higher, I would just let it be, it's better than tinkering with it and having unnecessary Ph peaks and valleys. Remember, the Ph being a few tenths low consistently, is much better than having it at 8.6 one day, then crashing to 6.0 the next, then adding more buffer and peaking and crashing. It's the changes that really screw the fish up. Consistency is your friend

Good luck!
75 Gallon Salt Water
120 Gallon WC Ikolas and E. Cyanosticus
125 Gallon Chimbas (25, they are breeding!)
230 Gallon Acrylic, 240 Gallon Acrylic, 40G long, 30G, 10G, 20G are all in storage pending our home purchase (whoohoo!)
Old 08-15-2011
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillZ View Post
Here is a pretty good article that has the exact measurements (it's not in metric though):

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/buffer_recipe.php

Keep in mind you'll need to test prior to, and after to tweak the amount needed for your water's chemistry. Also, if you are at 7.8 or higher, I would just let it be, it's better than tinkering with it and having unnecessary Ph peaks and valleys. Remember, the Ph being a few tenths low consistently, is much better than having it at 8.6 one day, then crashing to 6.0 the next, then adding more buffer and peaking and crashing. It's the changes that really screw the fish up. Consistency is your friend

Good luck!

Good advice! I will add to that that Ph is not as important as Gh.... OP, have you tested your Gh and Kh? What are they at?

Using Aragonite or texes holey rock (Limestone) is probably the easiest and safest way to raise Gh, which will also raise your kh and in turn raises your Ph... So just using one of those two above will be best. JMO though. But if you like to use the more time consuming and least cost effective method, just for fun then that is definetely your prerogative...