Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 03-18-2009
linhlinh

::Profile::

Hi there,

I'm wandering what kind of tank size you guys would use to breed ? By intuition if I had to keep multiple species and breed them in a efficient way, I think I'd go for 75-100g aquarium. I'd stay away from anything that is too tall and too deep. I have a 150g and a 75g and I think that it is much easier to work on my 75g and I feel like it is as good as the big one + you can have 2 x 75 that will take less space than your 150g if you stack them up...

What do you guys think / would do / are doing ?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2009
asriel

i go for the biggest i can find and fit in
bigger tanks are much better for stable conditions
Old 03-19-2009
t-position

i'm starting to feel pretty good about my 125 with tropheus pemba. lots of rocks (big and little) and they are covered with fry! i wanted to set it up so i didn't have to strip and they are everywhere!
<span style="color:#ff8c00"><span style="color:#000000"><span style="color:#ff8c00">showmethosekazumbas</span></span>!!!</span>
Old 03-19-2009
billansor

Send a message via Yahoo to billansor

Hey LinhLinh

You stated;
I'd stay away from anything that is too tall and too deep
and I can certainly relate to that. There have been so many times I have stuck my arm inside a tank and got my armpits wet. Try explaining how come your shirt, armpits are wet to your wife.

The 125's are nice and long which as asriel so aptyly noted is stable in water conditions. Several examples come into mind.
Water quality does not go downhill as fast, heaters will not easily cook the tank before you can find out, the landscaping is easier to provide more protection as Tpot said.
And the fish love the more natural feel of the wide open spaces.

There are people who will take and build a stand for a bottom 125 and then another on top. The one on top will slightly be higher than a normal stand and 125 but still be able to work with. Using a stepladder will help.

I have seen a 75 and a 90 which are both the same width and length. The 90 is higher by a bit and a pain to reach into unless your a 7 foot basketball player.

The fishroom that I am rebuilding will have the extra depth for 75's which will replace the 55's I have now. If there were a way I could get the 125's into the basement, I would have them instead but I can't.

Hope that helps..
Bill
Old 03-19-2009
linhlinh

You guys have very valid points,

Another little aspect I missed is that It took us everything to move the 150g inside the house. It's super heavy + you need to find a way to pass it through your house !

Staying below that volume will guarantee you that wherever you might move in the future, you'll have the space to fit those tanks in. I simply love the size and footprint of a standard 75g

As far as the parameters go, of course if you are keeping a high PH like me and you are using tons of buffer + salt it might be harder on the 75g. It's mainly the reason why I have a 150g !

It seems to be a trend around here to have an automatic water change system. No buffer, no additives but you have stable water parameters! I'll test my water again, last time I did was 5 years ago...
Old 03-19-2009
billansor

Send a message via Yahoo to billansor

some food for thought?

Another idea for you Linhlinh is the inbetweener... the 110 gallon is a 5 foot puppy. Not six foot as the 125, 135, 150 gallon nor 4 foot as the 55,75,90 gallon tanks. So try for the 110 and I think you will be extremely pleased..
Bill
Old 03-25-2009
punman

I had my 22 Kirizas in a 90 gallon and a 180 gallon. They thrived and bred in both tanks. I needed to sell the 180 so they are back in the 90. Only difference was, the spawns were larger in the 180 (probably less interuptions).
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
Old 03-26-2009
Mr. Johnson

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Johnson

depending on m/f ratio and total number in a colony.

75g and up will work.
Old 03-26-2009
nattswlon

I prefer biger tanks but i do have a 4 foot juwel vision 260 and my colony of duboisi doing well and breeding as normal there. cheers Matt