Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Aquascaping

Notices

Tropheus Aquascaping Discussion of suitable rocks, substrates, tank decor, layout, etc.

Old 01-06-2015
rufretic

::Profile::
Keeping: Kasanga, Maswa, Ulwile, Bulu point, Moops, Nkonde, Lufubu, Pemba
Default What do you think of my tanks so far?

Just wanted to share my tanks aquascaping. Please feel free to share your opinions, good or bad. I'm pretty new to this so try not to be too harsh

I have 4 tanks for trophs setup so far. I forget some of the tankmate names but I'll do my best.

75g 17 Nkonde, 5 syno petricola, 5 bn plecos

125g divided 13 Red Rainbows, 1 dwaf pleco
11 Ikola & 6 Red Ndole, 1 dwarf pleco

135g divided 15 Bemba & 5 Moliro, 5 syno upside down cats, 3 clown plecos
15 Duboisi, 5 syno petricola, 1 rubber lip pleco

75g Still deciding what to put in it but leaning towards relocating the 6 Red Ndole from the Ikola tank and adding 10 more.

Eventually I want to take out the dividers on the large tanks and give each group their own 75g or larger so this is more of a temp grow out situation. Let me know what you think.
Old 01-06-2015
Ogrodii

Really nice set ups no complaints here
The Following User Says Thank You to Ogrodii For This Useful Post:
rufretic (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015
rufretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrodii View Post
Really nice set ups no complaints here
Thanks man!

What kind of troph is in your avatar, canary cheek? I'm really starting to think I need to add a Brichardi type since I dont have any. I've been looking at Ulwile but I'm really liking the look of that fish you have.
Old 01-07-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
Thanks man!

What kind of troph is in your avatar, canary cheek? I'm really starting to think I need to add a Brichardi type since I dont have any. I've been looking at Ulwile but I'm really liking the look of that fish you have.
I agree! Nice setups!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
rufretic (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015
fishdisease

Send a message via Yahoo to fishdisease

Just a few personal remarks:

Tank 1, 75g 17 Nkonde: nice hardscape, nice arrangement of rocks...but, the rocks in an ecosystem are generally very similar in origin, type, and color. So, too many colours: red, gray, even greenish.

Tank 2, 125g divided...I would remove the reddish stone, left bottom, in front of the great one, the second from the wall to the right, having an edge in front of...The remaining arrangement is gorgeous.

Tank 3, 4, 5 and 6....very nice setups, the same type of the rocks, a proper hardscape, maybe a bit too symetric (a group of rocks to the left side and another one in the right...)... BUT: I'm not sure...artificial plants ???..seems to be plastics. Why did you do that for?
The Following User Says Thank You to fishdisease For This Useful Post:
rufretic (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015
Ogrodii

Quote:
Thanks man!

Yes Canary Cheek one of my fav Brichardi had a nice wild group but had to sell due to moving but there awesome
Old 01-07-2015
rufretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
I agree! Nice setups!
Thanks Andrew. How do you think some of your Ulwile would look in that emty 75? I've been looking around trying to figure out what I want to fill it with. Was thinking about your Bulu points as we talked about before but I'm starting to really want a Brichardi group. Have any available at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdisease View Post
Just a few personal remarks:

Tank 1, 75g 17 Nkonde: nice hardscape, nice arrangement of rocks...but, the rocks in an ecosystem are generally very similar in origin, type, and color. So, too many colours: red, gray, even greenish.

Tank 2, 125g divided...I would remove the reddish stone, left bottom, in front of the great one, the second from the wall to the right, having an edge in front of...The remaining arrangement is gorgeous.

Tank 3, 4, 5 and 6....very nice setups, the same type of the rocks, a proper hardscape, maybe a bit too symetric (a group of rocks to the left side and another one in the right...)... BUT: I'm not sure...artificial plants ???..seems to be plastics. Why did you do that for?
Thank you, this is really what I was looking for, a very helpful critique. For tank one, your right, too many types of rocks. This one kind of just got thrown together with available rocks from my yard. Was trying to stick with granite even if color varied I thought it could pull together but wasn't as successful as I would of liked. The one I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to replace is the large greenish one front left. I wanted to use it because it is such a cool rock, really neat detail up close, but it really just doesn't fit.

I'll take a look at the reddish rock your refering to, I'll take it out or move it to see if your right.

The plants are plastic. Four reasons I decided to add a few. 1st to mask equipment a little, I like all the sponges and power heads and of course the required equipment but I'd rather have it a little hidden if possible, plants seemed easy. 2nd to help with aggression, I've noticed if a fish is being harassed, as soon as it gets out of line of sight, the chase stops. 3rd is for future fry hiding, I'd like to let them spit in the tank and grow the colonies. 4th I like plants I wish I could have some real ones but from the research I've done it sounds hard with trophs.
Old 01-07-2015
fishdisease

Send a message via Yahoo to fishdisease

Quote:
4th I like plants I wish I could have some real ones but from the research I've done it sounds hard with trophs.
I understood. If you wish natural plants, try Anubias !!! They are african plants; they have a kind of plastic-like leaves, being hard consumed by the Tropheus; they can be easily attached to the rocks and looks mooore natural than plastic-Egeria.