Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > General Aquaria Forums > General Aquaria

Notices

General Aquaria Discussion for general topics of aquaria.

Old 05-15-2013
Mastiffman

::Profile::

Some good comments her and some comments that seem a bit bitter in one manner or another. No offense. Just a simple observation. Forgive me if I overstepped boundaries in commenting so.

I myself don't believe in keeping junky looking tanks that look like the "old school" garbage can tank just for breeding purposes if it's a tank kept in a living space of any kind. That stuff is not out in the wild where these fish are found so why have it in the tank. But if it's a tank in a space where this not an asthetic issue and it works, that's perfetly fine to me.

I like a clean and healthy tanks and this requires weekly 40- 50% water changes on all of my tanks. I have 2 180g (6fters) tanks in the Family room of the lower floor of our addition, a 135g (6fter) and 110 (4x2ft) in the front room of the first floor as well. These are only tanks that I have on the first floor. The other 110g, 90g, 40g, 4x8g farm tanks (fry), 15g(fry) and 2x10g (fry) are all on the second floor of the addition above the 180g's room. I have 5 species of Tropheus, Cypho. Mobas, P. Trews, Eretmodus, Ink Fin Calvus, Leleupi and Raganochromis between the 40-180g tanks.

My wife enjoys the look of the tanks and the Beautiful fish that we have. She has always been an animal person and loves how I clean I keep the tanks. I typically take a few hours one day a week and hussle through cleaning the tanks so that I can enjoy watching the fish the other 6 days with my 2 kids and wife. If the tanks looked crappy and smelled on a regular basis or even occassionally I might hear a bit more rightfully earn disapproval. But that's just not the case.

I don't hire people to do repairs on our house unless it's a major job like dropping one of the 70ft+ maples on the lot or a furnace install or something of that nature. So I also earn the right have some happiness in my life as well, in the form of a hobby. We have a great marriage and it's only getting better with time (like a fine wine)... One thing that I hear from my wife is that she likes all of this most because it makes Me Happy. I've heard time and time again from older fellows that "yes dear" is a term that I would "learn" when I get older and was married. I still use that word unless it's to make my wife laugh as she does when she hears it.

So as others have said, it's a give and take situation. I don't completely know where all of my work will go at this point in time. I have some ideas but I typically roll with the punches. I may not make the money in the house like my 11 year standing RN wife does, but I hold my own with many other aspects and I'm not the typical lazy pig guy that us men have been labelled as for so long... Not that any of you are either, but my wife complains about my open opinon of how orderly I like our house more so than I do of hers. That's just how it is around here.. I didn't choose my for me. I believe The almighty creator did and who am I to deny that. And vise versa.

But growing together is another key compenent is a long term happy relationship. It's good to be able to talk through things together but also good to be able to vent to fellow friends about things like this.

But it's also healthy for each individual to be able to have some type of stress releaving activity in their life to maintain healthy mental and physical fitness in ones own life and their relationships, whether it be friendships or Intimate in nature.

AC
Old 05-15-2013
MDTrophs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moganman View Post
LOL!!!! How old are you? Your parents must give you a big allowance with that many tanks.
LMAO..

Russ
Old 05-15-2013
rhickman

Keeping: Currently DRY :'(

I dont get allowance actually, I work two summer jobs, I now have a new job that gives me a more luxurious life especially for my age, I sell my fish food, buy and sell my fry and adults for more stuff and constantly search for deals. I have made a tonne of contacts so that always helps and hey Im only 17 but I try not to act like it. Right now I only have 6
The Following User Says Thank You to rhickman For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (05-18-2013)
Old 05-15-2013
TrophAddict

Keeping: WC Chaitika, WC Nkonde, WC Moba II

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhickman View Post
I dont get allowance actually, I work two summer jobs, I now have a new job that gives me a more luxurious life especially for my age, I sell my fish food, buy and sell my fry and adults for more stuff and constantly search for deals. I have made a tonne of contacts so that always helps and hey Im only 17 but I try not to act like it. Right now I only have 6
That sure shows it how you behave on this forum, Ive seen many hobbyist your age that act like complete idiots on forums.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrophAddict For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (05-18-2013)
Old 05-15-2013
rhickman

Keeping: Currently DRY :'(

I appreciate that, I try my best to conduct myself in a formal manner, I mean when there are amusing things on here I cant help but comment but I try not to act like an immature child who's thoughts are obfuscated by drugs, partying and other unimportant things that surround most of my friends.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rhickman For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (05-18-2013), moorii603 (05-15-2013)
Old 05-16-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhickman View Post
I appreciate that, I try my best to conduct myself in a formal manner, I mean when there are amusing things on here I cant help but comment but I try not to act like an immature child who's thoughts are obfuscated by drugs, partying and other unimportant things that surround most of my friends.

Which no matter the age.. this is how we should all strive to be.
Old 05-16-2013
SFCichlids

Thought rhickman was older too! Great way to carry yourself there pal!

Wifey's reasons: Space, electric bill, and she's not fond of animals, period. Thus, one 240g tank in the garage only. Used to have a 150g and 75g in the garage, but figured I get one big 8 footer. One day I'm going to upgrade to a 10 footer and hopefully that'll be it. Hahaha...I bet we all say that!
Old 05-17-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCichlids View Post
Thought rhickman was older too! Great way to carry yourself there pal!

Wifey's reasons: Space, electric bill, and she's not fond of animals, period. Thus, one 240g tank in the garage only. Used to have a 150g and 75g in the garage, but figured I get one big 8 footer. One day I'm going to upgrade to a 10 footer and hopefully that'll be it. Hahaha...I bet we all say that!
Yeah I thought he was older as well.

I don't know if I just "Sell" things a bit more to my wife or what... lol But I try to come up with valid reasons for everything that I do around the house. I'm currently working a Renewable energy setup to help power some if not eventuall all of Aquariums. SO If I can't come with a good reasons myself then I typically don't bring up an idea as it's probably not a good anyhow.

One major thing about aquariums that I think is quite a benefit is that studies have proven them to reduce blood pressure by watching them.

There are SOOOO Many other things that Us "men" could be doing that could potentially get us into trouble or risk our lives and health so I don't see why there is such a negative aspect to this hobby for so many wives/ women out there.

A Healthy aquarium should smell like the breeze that comes across a big lake. Which for one isn't really even noticeable unless you get close and take a big wiff of the water. But just the thought of being able to be around these creatures on a regualr bases to look at whenever we want should be more a Privilege than a problem for most people.
Old 05-19-2013
MpimbwePete

Keeping: duboisi, "firefox"

Very simply the cost of electricity - if I could afford it I'd run another dozen tanks -restricted to 3 tanks so I am trying to make the most of them.
Lab Caeruleus; Lab Hongi – “Hongi”; Mel Joanjohnsonae-;
Nim Polystigma- ;SciFryeri "Electric Blue";Placi Gisell Electra;
Prot Taeniolatus; Pseudotropheus Elongatus Mpanga
Old 05-19-2013
Johnnyb76

Keeping: Ilangi, *Golden* Kazumba, Moliro, Bulu Point *Cherry Spots*, Kabimba *Canary Cheeks*

The major complaint coming from my other half is time.....if I'm spending too much timing w/ maintenance...or "tweaking up" the tanks (& not on her, well w/ her) then I get some $h!t about it from her. Other than that, she loves the tanks. Has her favorites but loves to see me happy. Just a lil' bit of a give & take, just like in any relationship....
Definitely a good thread though. Just be honest from the get-go. I just let everyone know I'm a little weird w/ this....even though they all tell me I'm not & just worry about being happy in life!!!