Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > General Aquaria Forums > General Aquaria

Notices

General Aquaria Discussion for general topics of aquaria.

Old 06-05-2013
Mastiffman

::Profile::

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpimbwePete View Post
Very simply the cost of electricity - if I could afford it I'd run another dozen tanks -restricted to 3 tanks so I am trying to make the most of them.
That makes sense. This is exactly why I"m building a PV Panel SYstem soon. I built a Small wind turbine with a used Servo Motor but I have to many trees in the yard at this point and need to put it higher than the 35f that it's at to get it inot some actual Clean Air. So I need to take a few trees down first and I'll be putting up some PV Panels that should do the trick just fine. I have roughly 800- 1000 watts running on my second floor including lights and heaters. Which I"m sure I could lower than donw through the use of a Blower and Sponge filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyb76 View Post
The major complaint coming from my other half is time.....if I'm spending too much timing w/ maintenance...or "tweaking up" the tanks (& not on her, well w/ her) then I get some $h!t about it from her. Other than that, she loves the tanks. Has her favorites but loves to see me happy. Just a lil' bit of a give & take, just like in any relationship....
Definitely a good thread though. Just be honest from the get-go. I just let everyone know I'm a little weird w/ this....even though they all tell me I'm not & just worry about being happy in life!!!
SOunds about right here as well. I try to always maintain my 15 tanks on the same day each week that shes working. That way it doesn't cut in to any of her time.
Old 06-06-2013
jrogo

When I met my wife she had 1 tank with some tropical fish, tetra's, neon and some others. After about a year we had tanks all over the apt. we lived in. The spare bedroom was a fish room/office, our bedroom had a few tanks (I will never do that again) the hallway had a few and then I expanded into the basement. Good thing my sister owned the house, so there wasn't an issue. After we got married and were looking for a house, other than the house looking nice and well kept the basement had to be dry and level. When ever we would look at a house and the basement was crappy or just bad she was like that's not the one. We found a house and I built my fish room in the basement, at one point I had 48 tanks. Since my son was born I cut back to 22-23 tanks. My wife is an RN also and works the 7pm to 7am shift so that when I do all my cleaning and fiddling around. It's a give and take, she has her things she likes, purses and such so it all evens out.

Thanks
Joe
The Following User Says Thank You to jrogo For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogo View Post
When I met my wife she had 1 tank with some tropical fish, tetra's, neon and some others. After about a year we had tanks all over the apt. we lived in. The spare bedroom was a fish room/office, our bedroom had a few tanks (I will never do that again) the hallway had a few and then I expanded into the basement. Good thing my sister owned the house, so there wasn't an issue. After we got married and were looking for a house, other than the house looking nice and well kept the basement had to be dry and level. When ever we would look at a house and the basement was crappy or just bad she was like that's not the one. We found a house and I built my fish room in the basement, at one point I had 48 tanks. Since my son was born I cut back to 22-23 tanks. My wife is an RN also and works the 7pm to 7am shift so that when I do all my cleaning and fiddling around. It's a give and take, she has her things she likes, purses and such so it all evens out.

Thanks
Joe
Very cool and understandable. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-07-2013
MYC

Keeping: Nkonde, Illangi, Lufubu, RR,

There may be opposition to an additional tank, but First of all we have to know what we are dealing with.

Although the wife & I may see the living space/apt as "ours", she believes that the task of designing & arranging the living space as their duty.

Most men like myself don't really care about how the drapes, furniture, & carpet match up with each other in a theme. Since we have given up this task to our spouses, they take it as an invasion upon her over all plan to see how things fit in her space, when we bring in an E-z seat or an additional tank.

She may have the vision to see a large SHOW TANK, in the living room, but may not see the benefits of having additional breeding tanks, because these tanks don't fit into the theme of her overall plan of her dream house.

Remedy: Find a space that she wouldn't mind giving up to you to use as a "man cave". (ie, basement, garage, spare bedroom, jr fore room). Then propose a contract/promise that you will keep all fish related things in that room. Convince her that all the fish clutter will never be in her dream space.

If you are not able to contain your fish keeping endeavors to this space, you have to get a bigger house.

Good luck to all,
The Following User Says Thank You to MYC For This Useful Post:
moorii603 (06-07-2013)
Old 06-15-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYC View Post
If you are not able to contain your fish keeping endeavors to this space, you have to get a bigger house.

Good luck to all,
Ha! Nice. This all makes sense with sensible people...

I will admit that my Wife is not really motivated about the dream house ordeal. not to say that she wouldn't do it. Just that it's not high on her list at this point time. Which may be part of the reason things are more relaxed about it all. But I think also, that I may be a bit more particular with the way that things "fit together" in the house than your average bear. It's more an symmetrical and proportional thing with a twist of an artistic mind. So it all balances out at this point in time.

I always bring things up in advance those. Kind of like a proposal like you mentioned. But also in with the intention of creating that image for her to get used to seeing and thinking about. But in the end, if she didn't care for the idea I would respect that and withhold the idea. There always should be a happy medium in any relationship.
Old 06-15-2013
gonefishingaquatics

In order to get what I want I have to get my fiancÚ the same value or up there. I bought a 8ft 360 gallon tank for two stacks and got her a Louis Vuitton purse that cost about one stack. Other then that ill tell here fish cost half as much as I paid lol

Troph mpimbwe, namansi reef, duboisi maswa, malasa island

cyprichromis leptosoma kitumba, Cyatopharynx foai Mbita, callochromis melanostigma, benthochromis tricoti, cyphotilapia gibberosa moba, Placidochromis Phenochilus Tanzania, gnathochromis perximillaris

Tanks: 360, 150, 135, 125, 125, 90(reef), 55, 55, 20, 20