Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 05-23-2016
MStatebulldog

::Profile::
Keeping: Red rainbow kasanga

Thanks for the replies everyone! Ive got the temp right around 80. I held off on the clout for another day.

Treborgh- I've added an air stone and put diffusers on the eheim to shoot air bubbles into the water.

I've noticed after my water changes they all ball up together (minus the few not feeling well) and swim up and down the glass nicely. I fed a tiny *pinch* of metro flake to see who all would go for it. Most hit like great white sharks except the few "wobblers".

After watching them today, I am beginning to wonder if the ones not feeling well are dealing with something g besides bloat- reason I say this is I noticed a small white dot/worm possibly on one "wobblers". This one does tussle with another male so it was hard to tell if it might have been a nicked scale. Gonna check on it in the morning.

Also seems like a few seem a little red around the pectoral fins and between pectoral fins and gills.

Thanks again for the input!
Old 05-24-2016
johnnyblade

Keeping: Tropheus moorii Ikola "Kaiser Yellow"

Could possibly be an internal parasite.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnyblade For This Useful Post:
MStatebulldog (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016
MStatebulldog

*update* still no losses. Im starting to think that im not dealing with bloat. I notice that the non eating group tends to hover with their heads slightly down. Every once in a while I'll notice one "cough".
Another thing I noticed is some of them grabbing air bubbles from the surface- almost like my old wc cyphos would do when they were practicing tumbling. Anyone's trophs ever do this?

Thanks to all who have replied!
Old 05-25-2016
emeraldtroph

Keeping: Kapampa and Lufubu currently, have kept Ikola and Bulu Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStatebulldog View Post
*update* still no losses. Im starting to think that im not dealing with bloat. I notice that the non eating group tends to hover with their heads slightly down. Every once in a while I'll notice one "cough".
Another thing I noticed is some of them grabbing air bubbles from the surface- almost like my old wc cyphos would do when they were practicing tumbling. Anyone's trophs ever do this?

Thanks to all who have replied!
On the coughing....I once had a group of juvies who were eating and vomiting! Kanaplex from Seachem combined with Metro, which did the job, and in 4 days all were fine. Kanaplex at recommended dosage, but 3/4 teaspoon of Metro powder for a 55 gallon tank every 10 hours for four days.
Gasping for air...I recall them doing that after I used maybe too much Stability (good bacteria), as it competes for oxygen
The Following User Says Thank You to emeraldtroph For This Useful Post:
MStatebulldog (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016
MStatebulldog

Thanks emerald! I actually ordered some kanaplex from amazon 2 days ago and just got it. Gonna combine it with metro today. Only thing is today is the 10th day of metro dosing so I think im gonna stop the metro tomorrow.

I noticed one troph that will not leave "it's rock" for anything has either had his tail nipped pretty good or has a little fin rot the bottom. Hard to tell.

Status still the same this a.m. with the rest of the group. There's 20 or so very active healthy fish. And then there's the bystanders who hover to themselves at a slight angle.
Old 05-25-2016
JimA

Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

Sounds like an aggression issue as well. Who knows what happens after the lights go out, and you can't be watching 24/7. Good news is you haven't lost any yet, so there is hope it's something other than bloat!
The Following User Says Thank You to JimA For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016
gehandylan

A lot of surface agitation and go very easy on the food. If you have not lost any so far, you may be turning the corner. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to gehandylan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2016
flyn dutchmn

Keeping: WC mpulungu, F? Ilangi, F1 Duboisi Halembe

I would agree with the Kanaplex. I had a WC moop that didn't respond at all to metro but did perk up when I treated with Kanaplex. I did end up losing this fish but believe if I treated earlier/longer with Kanaplex the results would of been different.

Hope they get better!
MStatebulldog (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016
JkdJedi

Your dealing with wild caught so they're gonna take a little longer to acclimate to your water parameters, (tank breed can take up to a week without eating sometimes!). All to often when a Troph acts a little funny we juice them up with meds that imo can do more harm than good, especially if nothings wrong with them. Epsom salt is my go to when I'm a little stressed out and only when I see the sure tell tale sign of clear feces (with lethargic energy) is when I start dosing with the meds. Your doing the right thing with keeping the lights low but be weary if your overdoing it with the meds. they're instant energy after water changes is kinda telling me that's whats going on here. Good Luck!

PS.

Wishing the email notifications or even Tapatalk was working in this website, to many promises and I'm to busy and excuses going on here. It's ashame a great site like this is still in the Dark Ages.
The Following User Says Thank You to JkdJedi For This Useful Post:
MStatebulldog (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016
MStatebulldog

Flyn dutchmn- giving kanaplex a try right now. Thanks for the encouragement!

Jkdjedi- thank you for the info. I think you may be on to something- I plan on letting this kanaplex run its course than Im going to bring the temp back down to 77, and just do water changes and see how they react.

I haven't seen any of their conditions worsen. So the symptoms right now are - hovering in one spot with a slight wobble and not eating. That's it. In fact some that do this are scraping algae occasionally. Maybe these symptoms are present due to a new environment/stress and not illness related.

I'll keep yall updated!!