Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 10-30-2015
rufretic

::Profile::
Keeping: Kasanga, Maswa, Ulwile, Bulu point, Moops, Nkonde, Lufubu, Pemba
Default Beat up outcast

Once a fish is beat up and needs to be separated from the colony to heal, is there any chance of a successful reintroduction? I have a small group that the dominant male started picking off the others one by one. They where added to another large colony that are larger and more dominant to hopefully disperse the aggression. It has been a successful move thus far. The issue is one of the original beat up fish was removed in time to save it and was healed by the time I added them to the new group but on introduction he was already the target of aggression. I didn't want him to get injured again so he was put in an in-tank separater to let him have some time to get used to the new water and hopefully regain his strength. After a few days he was eating and seemed fine so I gave it another chance. He was almost instantly attacked by both males and did nothing to defend himself. I had to seperate him again. He almost seems like something is wrong with him, does not swim unless bit and then just a foot and pretty much just lays at the bottom until he gets attacked and then makes a little effort to get away. Another odd thing about him is he always seems cocked to the side but hes not like this when separated. I feel bad for the poor guy, not to mention the group is so small I really dont want to loose any. Is there any chance this guy will ever be accepted?
Old 10-30-2015
kyfront33

Keeping: More then I should be

Sorry to hear, unfortunately it's part of tropheus. I have had luck with reintroduction, and I have had failure. Usually reintroducing 1 single fish is very tough. Its much easier to do multiple fish. I am driving out of town for business. I'll reply more in depth tomorrow.
Old 10-31-2015
rufretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfront33 View Post
Sorry to hear, unfortunately it's part of tropheus. I have had luck with reintroduction, and I have had failure. Usually reintroducing 1 single fish is very tough. Its much easier to do multiple fish. I am driving out of town for business. I'll reply more in depth tomorrow.
Thank you, I would really appreciate it.

This is my first time failure. Usually, the add multiple fish, completely rescape the tank and lights out for 48 hours, works. But this time it was like they instantly knew it was him, even with this completely new environment and three times as many fish as they are used to, the two males went right for this one. The thing that concerns me the most is that he doesnt swim around, he just lays at the bottom until they find him. I don't know if he is just scared or not well.
Old 10-31-2015
kyfront33

Keeping: More then I should be

Sorry took so long to get back.

Here is my experience and what has worked for me, Every colony is different so that's why I say this has worked for me, and may not work for everyone.

When I first had a fish get beat up on and basically descaled on the sides I caught the fish and put it in a 10 gallon and treated for around a month so it was basically healed and had its appetite back, I then drained about 80% of the water out of the main tank and moved some décor around (although not much, as I am not much on décor other then sand a few pots). I reintroduced the fish while I was filling up the tank with the water hose. And as soon as I was done filling the tank I fed a small amount of food. Everything seemed smooth, About 2 weeks later that same fish starting getting pick on again, and after a few days was descaled again, I repeated steps, but this time I had some F1s that were around 2" that I wanted to introduce to the colony. so when I reintroduced all the fish I also added 8 F1s and that has been several months and no issues.

I have also left fish that have been beaten up alone, and with the colony, and just added some meds to the tank that help with healing as directed and had them heal on their own, and not be killed off.

In your case, it sounds like there may just be an issue with that fish, and it has something wrong with it, and the others pick on it. It may never do well with that colony. I have done this as well. I have a single tropheus that is now 4.5" that was literally floating on its side and bleeding and near death living with a large group of Cyphos. They all get along well.

I don't think there is anything you can do right or wrong in this occasion, I think it Is all about acceptance, I think you increase your chance by adding a lot of fish at once, but it seems you tried that, so maybe there is something wrong with that individual fish.

I hope this is somewhat helpful, this has been my experience. There really is no fool proof way.
The Following User Says Thank You to kyfront33 For This Useful Post:
rufretic (10-31-2015)
Old 11-01-2015
JkdJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
Once a fish is beat up and needs to be separated from the colony to heal, is there any chance of a successful reintroduction? I have a small group that the dominant male started picking off the others one by one. They where added to another large colony that are larger and more dominant to hopefully disperse the aggression. It has been a successful move thus far. The issue is one of the original beat up fish was removed in time to save it and was healed by the time I added them to the new group but on introduction he was already the target of aggression. I didn't want him to get injured again so he was put in an in-tank separater to let him have some time to get used to the new water and hopefully regain his strength. After a few days he was eating and seemed fine so I gave it another chance. He was almost instantly attacked by both males and did nothing to defend himself. I had to seperate him again. He almost seems like something is wrong with him, does not swim unless bit and then just a foot and pretty much just lays at the bottom until he gets attacked and then makes a little effort to get away. Another odd thing about him is he always seems cocked to the side but hes not like this when separated. I feel bad for the poor guy, not to mention the group is so small I really dont want to loose any. Is there any chance this guy will ever be accepted?
Doesn't sound good, once cornered they are done. The more the merrier is the Tropheus Golden Rule. Good Luck.
Old 11-01-2015
dahling

Keeping: Kasanga, Mpulungu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
Thank you, I would really appreciate it.

This is my first time failure. Usually, the add multiple fish, completely rescape the tank and lights out for 48 hours, works. But this time it was like they instantly knew it was him, even with this completely new environment and three times as many fish as they are used to, the two males went right for this one. The thing that concerns me the most is that he doesnt swim around, he just lays at the bottom until they find him. I don't know if he is just scared or not well.
That's sad to hear, seems like it's accepted it's fate. I hope it goes well. I have a couple of outcasts on the mend in it's own tank too.
Old 11-02-2015
dirt4949

Keeping: Chilambo,bemba,kaiserII,Green Murago,Brown Murago

When i have this issue i remove the alpha male put in the beat up fish re decorate than reintroduce alpha male 10 days later. this always worked for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to dirt4949 For This Useful Post:
rufretic (11-04-2015)
Old 11-02-2015
LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Trophs.com Owner Sponsor And Admin

Keeping: A lot
Send a message via MSN to LittleAfricaAquatics.com

A couple options are as above, reset the aquarium. Change the setup, décor, move things around and this resets territory and its kind of a free for all to reestablish. Now if hes just a really laid back fish he might just fall right back to the punching bag. So another technique is reset the aquarium but also remove the alpha and maybe if needed the beta male. Let the male being picked on establish himself and run the show for a day or so. Then add the 2 high strung males, sometimes they will become the hunted, sometimes they will take back over but its your best shot if you want him back in the colony. Hope that helps, I have had to do it many times with many groups and it can work, just depends on the will of the fish. Fish are like people some will jump at a chance while some will just wither.
rufretic (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015
rufretic

Great info guys, gives me a couple options to try. Thank you.
Old 11-04-2015
JimA

Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

This poor guy is the strongest survivor I have ever seen. He has been picked on since he was a fry. I doubt his fins will ever grow back, his brothers and sisters are twice his size. He eats great, has the ball to chase some around just a tough little fish. Kids named him Nemo of course

The Following User Says Thank You to JimA For This Useful Post:
rufretic (11-05-2015)