Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-15-2015
jhj0112
Status: Offline
Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Greater Vancouver, Canada
Keeping: F1 Kalambo/multies/eretmodus
Posts: 64
Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
Metro won't harm your BB so don't hold back on that account mate!
ok !! I just added metro in the tank now.. the instruction is bit different than what is suggested here.. it says repeat the treatment every 48 hours up to 3 weeks... hmmm
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-15-2015
dannyt's Avatar
dannyt
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Australian living in Toledo OH
Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!
Posts: 708
Thanks: 228
Thanked 156 Times in 135 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhj0112 View Post
ok !! I just added metro in the tank now.. the instruction is bit different than what is suggested here.. it says repeat the treatment every 48 hours up to 3 weeks... hmmm
It is your call but I would definitely recommend following Mastiffman's protocol...he is a very well researched & intelligent individual and he & others have used it successfully specifically for troph's...your call
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dannyt For This Useful Post:
jhj0112 (09-16-2015), Mastiffman (09-15-2015)
  #13  
Old 09-15-2015
Mastiffman
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 40
Posts: 4,502
Thanks: 960
Thanked 889 Times in 733 Posts
Images: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhj0112 View Post
Thanks Andrew and Dannyt! so should I skip 3% epsom salt solution plus adding epsom salt to the tank and treat the entire tank with metro??

I will be honest.. I'm hesistant to try metro as it may kill beneficial bacteria in the filter.. I have it in my hand as we speak but have not put it in the tank yet..

the rest is still eating. the one in picture is pretty much same condition as 24 hours ago( no white poops yet)

I added 9 Table spoons of epsom salts in the tank. I'm just watching one very closely..
I'm hoping it is just constipation...
My Pleasure.

Yeah, just hit the tank with the Metro at full dose every 8 hours for maximum effectiveness. Metro is a mild med and will not harm your BB Colony. In the discus community it's even been used at 3-4 times the recommended dose. It's completely safe. What you don't want to do is not use enough for long enough.

Treat the whole tank and you'll be good to go after a week.

Yeah the instructions on the label I believe were made for very mild cases of suspected cases. Not full blown Bloat issues with fish currently dying. I've even called SeaChem directly and spoke to them for quite a while in regards to Metronidazole, it's uses, potential effects (none really) and what meds it's capable to potentially mix it with.

Nitrofurazone and even Bi-Furan (80% Nitrofurazone/ 20% Furazolidone) mixed with Metronidazole will both create a synergistic effect when used together with Metro. When illness sets in on fish, there is always a possibility of secondary infectioins caused by pre-existing bad bacteria that are in all none UV Filter/ regularly medicated aquariums. SO using something like BI-Furan or Nitrofurazone will take care of the secondary infections as they cover gram positive and gram negative bacterial infections.

Great mixes for sure.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
jhj0112 (09-16-2015)
  #14  
Old 09-16-2015
jhj0112
Status: Offline
Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Greater Vancouver, Canada
Keeping: F1 Kalambo/multies/eretmodus
Posts: 64
Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
My Pleasure.

Yeah, just hit the tank with the Metro at full dose every 8 hours for maximum effectiveness. Metro is a mild med and will not harm your BB Colony. In the discus community it's even been used at 3-4 times the recommended dose. It's completely safe. What you don't want to do is not use enough for long enough.

Treat the whole tank and you'll be good to go after a week.

Yeah the instructions on the label I believe were made for very mild cases of suspected cases. Not full blown Bloat issues with fish currently dying. I've even called SeaChem directly and spoke to them for quite a while in regards to Metronidazole, it's uses, potential effects (none really) and what meds it's capable to potentially mix it with.

Nitrofurazone and even Bi-Furan (80% Nitrofurazone/ 20% Furazolidone) mixed with Metronidazole will both create a synergistic effect when used together with Metro. When illness sets in on fish, there is always a possibility of secondary infectioins caused by pre-existing bad bacteria that are in all none UV Filter/ regularly medicated aquariums. SO using something like BI-Furan or Nitrofurazone will take care of the secondary infections as they cover gram positive and gram negative bacterial infections.

Great mixes for sure.
Thank you so much for the information and I don't want you and danny to think that I was doubting your suggestion.. In fact, it was the other way around

I don't know how severe this case is but I hope it is not too late.. I'm watching them really closely..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jhj0112 For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (09-16-2015)
  #15  
Old 09-16-2015
Mastiffman
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 40
Posts: 4,502
Thanks: 960
Thanked 889 Times in 733 Posts
Images: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhj0112 View Post
Thank you so much for the information and I don't want you and danny to think that I was doubting your suggestion.. In fact, it was the other way around

I don't know how severe this case is but I hope it is not too late.. I'm watching them really closely..

Oh now worries, just wanted to make sure that you were confident in our recommendations. Thanks for the explanation though.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
dannyt (09-16-2015)
  #16  
Old 09-16-2015
dannyt's Avatar
dannyt
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Australian living in Toledo OH
Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!
Posts: 708
Thanks: 228
Thanked 156 Times in 135 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhj0112 View Post
Thank you so much for the information and I don't want you and danny to think that I was doubting your suggestion.. In fact, it was the other way around

I don't know how severe this case is but I hope it is not too late.. I'm watching them really closely..
It's all good mate. We all hope it never happens to anyone and the 1st step to treatment is admitting there's an issue. A tough decision for anyone cause of the possible negative outcome. Early action is always best. You're doing great and we are all hoping the best outcome for you and lil kalambo troph fella
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dannyt For This Useful Post:
jhj0112 (09-16-2015), Mastiffman (09-16-2015)
  #17  
Old 09-16-2015
jhj0112
Status: Offline
Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Greater Vancouver, Canada
Keeping: F1 Kalambo/multies/eretmodus
Posts: 64
Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

So 24 hours after, pretty much same.. the one has got worsened but not better either.. pretty much the same..
I hope it is the good sign.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-16-2015
Mastiffman
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 40
Posts: 4,502
Thanks: 960
Thanked 889 Times in 733 Posts
Images: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhj0112 View Post
So 24 hours after, pretty much same.. the one has got worsened but not better either.. pretty much the same..
I hope it is the good sign.
NO news is sometimes good news.

But give it time. If it's regular bloat, you should see a good difference by day 3-4.

Are you using a full dose of Metro dissolved in water every 8 hours?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-17-2015
jhj0112
Status: Offline
Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Greater Vancouver, Canada
Keeping: F1 Kalambo/multies/eretmodus
Posts: 64
Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Yes I'm doing full dose but can't do it on 8 hours because of work schedule.. it's every 12 hours..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-17-2015
Mastiffman
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 40
Posts: 4,502
Thanks: 960
Thanked 889 Times in 733 Posts
Images: 17
Default

Gotcha. You could set a feeder to dump in the dose as it would be better than nothing. I've tried 112 hours before and it's definitely not as effective but it still can help, depending on the severity of the case.

Keep us posted.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bloat, time, troph

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NLS and bloat Hayzoos Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition 22 12-06-2013 03:50 AM
Can this be bloat? ogom Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition 8 07-02-2013 09:37 AM
Urgent: Bloat trophs1 Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition 15 05-25-2012 01:33 PM
Will this cause a bloat?? Toneloc Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition 2 05-29-2011 08:37 PM
Bloat? Jon Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition 10 12-29-2007 02:45 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.