Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2015
kyfront33

::Profile::
Keeping: More then I should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
Really sorry to hear that mate...not much you can do really Troy when they're sick upon arrival...still sucks big time...makes it more sucky actually cause it is a rare thing that the supplier would take responsibility for fish that survive the "live arrival" guarantee but are actually "sick on arrival"...it should be an "alive & well arrival" guarantee with a 48 hour window to let the stress of transportation subside so the behavior & feeding of the fish can be observed...we all know they shouldn't be fed day 1 and everyone knows a troph not eating is a sick troph...
anyway end of rant...sorry you have to go through this mate
You can't guarantee fish that long because you dont know if the person keeping them knows what they are doing. Such as their acclamation process. I put my fish on a slow drip. And as far as not feeding for one day. I don't feed any of my New arrivals for a solid week. Then they get metro soaked food for a week.
I'm not saying these fish weren't sick and destined to die. But some fish just don't do well regardless of how they were before shipping.
Old 08-31-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfront33 View Post
You can't guarantee fish that long because you dont know if the person keeping them knows what they are doing. Such as their acclamation process. I put my fish on a slow drip. And as far as not feeding for one day. I don't feed any of my New arrivals for a solid week. Then they get metro soaked food for a week.
I'm not saying these fish weren't sick and destined to die. But some fish just don't do well regardless of how they were before shipping.
I understand that. But don't you think that if it's an acclimation process or something in the tank, that most of the fish would have a problem from the get go of introduction into the new tank? I do. But that's JMTCW...

I think that general awareness of the health of every fish should be a concern for every Exporter, Importer, Seller, Buyer and general fish keeper. Especially these days. I typically always probe buyers (mostly when I'm not aware of their habits, like non-forum members) a bit to see how well they know their way around a fish tank. And then I go into a bit of care and best practices of my own just to make sure that they are aware of what I think would be the best course of action if need be. To many people are just about the sale and not about the livelihood of the fry afterwards in their new owners care like I try to be. I want to have a good reputation for having healthy stock and providing a buyer with a long time enjoyment of their new investment. This is how I'd want to be treated so I try to do the same with others.

Bottom Line... If I knew a fish was showing signs of illness I would never let it go no matter what anyone told me that they were willing to deal with. It has nothing to do with the buyers knowledge or willingness to accept accountability for the deaths of fish. It has everything to do with the life of the fish. Shipping a sick fish will always do harm. It's not worth it to me.

This is why I try to do so much reading up on disease, diagnosis and medication for fish. It can only help me and the community when shared. There's not enough talk about in my opinion. But I'm stickler for that kind of stuff.
Old 08-31-2015
kyfront33

Keeping: More then I should be

Andrew I know you do a good job with your fish, and you go above and beyond. However Fish don't always show symptoms immediately. I also do my due diligence when it comes to care of my fish, after all they are an expensive investment.
But I was making a point on why fish are only live arrival guaranteed. You never know. some guys may still float bags and then shock fish with crazy PH levels etc etc. I know you study up on health and disease of fish, and you care. However don't you think it is counter productive to ban one of the most knowledgeable people in our hobby? Especially if worried about benefiting our community?
Old 08-31-2015
Mastiffman

Thanks. I honestly think that if a fish is becoming ill, with most common diseases, they show signs immediately. They become antisocial, lethargic, listless, stop eating, chance color or start becoming emaciated quickly.

I do understand your point on why most do live arrival guarantee only at this point. It makes sense with people that are, lets just say, "not as proactive as they could be" about ensuring the least mount of stress on their new fish as they could be.

I don't understand the "Ban" part and don't think that it's appropriate to discuss in Troys thread. Lets focus on him. I'll send you an email.
Old 08-31-2015
dannyt

Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfront33 View Post
My point here Kyfront was that as the consumer we are expected to trust the integrity of the supplier...I think the trust should go both ways...I am not saying that the onus is completely on the seller, but it shouldn't rest completely on the buyer either...especially if things noticed aren't right from the get go...I have never kept WC fish so I am not able to comment on quarantine, feeding & acclimation for WC fish...ok so you don't feed for a week...it is still true that a troph that won't eat is a sick troph...so what do you expect of the supplier if the ones shipped to you don't eat and start to die within a week or 2 of receiving them?
Old 08-31-2015
LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Trophs.com Owner Sponsor And Admin

Keeping: A lot
Send a message via MSN to LittleAfricaAquatics.com

Just thought I would step in as this post seems to be getting off topic. As most of you know I don't shy away from anything so even though Troy wasn't naming me you can know the fish came from me. I do however want to give all the facts so we can discuss properly and not just speculate. I shipped Troy a wild group of trophs and cyps about 3 weeks ago. I just heard about any issues about 3 days ago. Prior to me shipping the Bulu they came in amazing and were QTed and here for over 3 weeks before shipping out. Fish eat well and never showed any signs of anything but great health. Were properly QTed with Nitro Green, Metro and Parasite tabs. No one worth their salt would send out a sick fish to deceive someone, if they did it would be a short sighted business move because a lot of fish in poor shape wouldn't even make the trip as even when shipping is done perfect its still stressful. I have been in contact since I heard of any issues from Troy a few days back and have tried to figure it out. One thing left out of the discussion was these fish were put on a direct flight and then rerouted to spend a extra night somewhere out of the blue. Now while most of you know I pack for any unforeseen issues you just never know where the fish sit. Sometimes they will leave them on the tarmac in the heat for a upcoming flight, you just never know. Could this cause stress, of course, but you just don't know. Its all I could think of and since weeks went by and I hadn't heard from Troy I just assumed all was well. Not sure why 8 are great and 4 not eating, but its wild trophs and I have seen it all at this point. All I can say is they came in really well and did great here for a decent amount of time. As importers that's about all we can do, import them, QT them, treat them and observe them. We cant keep them for a year and dip them in uranium. Some people have got in a couple boxes of fish domestically and think they could easily import 40-50 boxes with no issues, its easy to be a Monday morning quarter back, trust me. In the end you don't see this with Cyphos most of the time, fronts not acting right, or usually lamps it always comes back to herbivores. Its been like this since I remember and while we do our best sometimes some of them don't act right or do then don't.
Old 08-31-2015
dannyt

Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleAfricaAquatics.com View Post
One thing left out of the discussion was these fish were put on a direct flight and then rerouted to spend a extra night somewhere out of the blue.
Thanks for chiming in Greg...one HUGE thing left out...holy cow...I guess the airlines take no responsibility even though it was supposed to be a direct flight...is there any precious cargo insurance that would cover this kind of unexpected circumstance?
All things considered we take risks everyday as we seek to make the most of life...some pay off...some don't...trusting others is a big challenge in the world today
Old 09-01-2015
Mastiffman

[QUOTE=LittleAfricaAquatics.com;223871]One thing left out of the discussion was these fish were put on a direct flight and then rerouted to spend a extra night somewhere out of the blue. Now while most of you know I pack for any unforeseen issues you just never know where the fish sit. [/Quote ]

So it wasn't 1.5week, it was 3 weeks? I'm confused. lol

Well whatever it was, if they wouldn't eat anything from the get go, I would say that they had to have been fighting something. But, like you told me before Greg, it's hard to see three or four Tropheus not eating in a tank full of swarming hungry Tropheus. I just think that shipping is usually the "Algae on the rock" (i.e. Icing on the cake) that did them in for good.

Simple fix would just be to credit the dead ones being that they weren't eating from the beginning I guess. It's only a few thank the Lord.

Quote:
its easy to be a Monday morning quarter back, trust me.
They'll be enough of that stuff seen soon too!

"He fades back.... And launches a deep one!"
Old 09-01-2015
LittleAfricaAquatics.com

[QUOTE=Mastiffman;223873]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleAfricaAquatics.com View Post
One thing left out of the discussion was these fish were put on a direct flight and then rerouted to spend a extra night somewhere out of the blue. Now while most of you know I pack for any unforeseen issues you just never know where the fish sit. [/Quote ]

So it wasn't 1.5week, it was 3 weeks? I'm confused. lol

Well whatever it was, if they wouldn't eat anything from the get go, I would say that they had to have been fighting something. But, like you told me before Greg, it's hard to see three or four Tropheus not eating in a tank full of swarming hungry Tropheus. I just think that shipping is usually the "Algae on the rock" (i.e. Icing on the cake) that did them in for good.

Simple fix would just be to credit the dead ones being that they weren't eating from the beginning I guess. It's only a few thank the Lord.

They'll be enough of that stuff seen soon too!

"He fades back.... And launches a deep one!"
Im not Steven Hawkings but fish shipped Aug. 11th and its the 31st, so about 3 weeks I think. Troy might have got off on his time table not sure, but I have the invoice and AWB. Anyway what you don't know is a good deal and I have been in contact through pms with Troy the whole time and already made a offer to him to help out. Like I said when I haven't heard anything since Aug. 11th until now im not a mind reader and always here to help and never abandon anyone. You pmed me saying this matter should be between Toy and I but you seem to be keeping it going, not sure why? Not even sure what your comment T"hey'll be enough of that stuff seen soon too!" even means?
Old 09-01-2015
LittleAfricaAquatics.com

Should have arrived the 11th, I have never got there and put a box on a direct flight to have it not go on that flight. Not sure if they had mechanical troubles or what, but anyway heres a copy of the AWB showing time if any doubts.

Shipper Consignee LITTLE AFRICA AQUATICS
LOUISVILLE,KY

Origin:Louisville (SDF)
Tender Time:04:39 PM
Tender Date:08/11/2015
TROY *****
Destination: ********* ********** *****
Service:FREIGHT
Statusicked Up

Total Shipment Contents

*Chargeable weight used for shipping cost.
Content Description Pieces Actual Weight Length Width Height Dimensional Weight LIVE TROPICAL FISH 1 71 24 16 14 28 Total: 1 71* 28
Lot Tracking Information

Lot Lot Status Delivery Information Pieces Actual Weight Airline Code Flight Origin Dest Scheduled
Departure Estimated
Departure Scheduled
Arrival Estimated
Arrival 1 Picked Up Received:08/12/2015 09:37 AM
Picked Up:08/12/2015 10:33 AM
Signed by: ******
1 71 WN 333 SDF MDW 08/11/2015
08:05 PM 08/11/2015
07:57 PM 08/11/2015
08:20 PM 08/11/2015
08:13 PM 0 MDW 08/11/2015
10:31 PM
N/A 08/11/2015
10:31 PM
N/A WN 932 MDW BWI 08/12/2015
06:10 AM 08/12/2015
06:14 AM 08/12/2015
08:55 AM 08/12/2015
08:57 AM

Last edited by Mastiffman; 09-01-2015 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Sensored sensitive info.
Closed Thread