Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2015
Troyale

::Profile::
Keeping: WC Nkonde, F1 Red Ndole, WC/F1 Bulu Point
Default Wc Troph bulu dying

About a week and a half ago i received 12 wc troph bulu point to add to my existing colony. Four of the twelve came in not eating. I tried different foods for three days, and then started meds. I did my normal quarantine treatment process of metro and kanamycin for 7 days and now on my 2nd day of paraguard. 7 days after receiving them, i lost one of the four and lost another one last nite. I have them in a 75g alone. The non eating fish would/are just hover in the corners. Im thinking of taking the last two non eating ones and treat them seperately in a 10g and place the other 8 in a 40g. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-30-2015
dannyt

Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

I have no experience with quarantining WC fish Troy...unfortunately I cannot be of assistance except to say sorry for the challenge you are facing...
Did you contact the supplier to see how long they have been in the country and if they were eating prior to shipping? How were they quarantined upon entry to the US? Seems like if they were not eating upon arrival that perhaps they were sick prior to shipping...
Old 08-30-2015
AJ437

Keeping: WC Ikola,WC Bulu Point,WC V. Moorii,WC Congo Calvus,WC Red Cheeks

I'm having the same problem, but I have had mines for weeks. It's not bloat mines are getting skinny and not eating. Don't know what it is.
Old 08-30-2015
dannyt

AJ437 are yours WC Bulu's as well? Have you had deaths? Skinny & not bloating sounds like an internal parasite that needs treating.

I'm wondering if you both purchased from the same supplier and/or if these groups were all from the same import shipment? There was a really bad infection/infestation that came in on a shipment from Africa early last year. Lots of deaths and even passing death onto perfectly healthy preexisting stock. Even very experienced keepers had losses and difficulty developing an effective treatment plan.

Troy it does seem to make sense to separate the 2 that are not eating from the rest. Are the other 8 eating? Are they active & healthy or do they seem off to you as well?
Old 08-30-2015
Mastiffman

Troy, have you tried some live artemia for food? They can handle a little bit of this to get them eating.

The most common cause illness in African cichlds, especially wild ones is Hexamita. Which, externally, metronidazole will take care of but would not be that great for internal. The best chance is doing daily water changes, using a full or even double dose of metro dissolved in heated tank water (6-8oz @ 100power for 60secs in MW) every 8 hours. I would definitely skip using any type of Epsom salt or Magnesium Sulfate as that will draw water out of the them. The blood purification process and cell water balance will be greatly hindered if using ES/ MS.

Getting metro into their system would be best. Maybe try soaking the Artemia in metro for a few before feeding it to them.

If you do use Metronidazole, Use Nitrofurazone with it as the two together have a synergistic effect. Better than used alone. heck you could even soak the artemia in nitrofurazone before feeding it to them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
AJ437 (08-30-2015)
Old 08-30-2015
Troyale

I have tried live brine saoked in metro and kanamycin, but they wont touch it. This has always worked in the past when one wont eat, but not this time. It doesn't even spark their interest. I have lowered the water level half the tank to use less meds and create more oxygen. I want to remove the 8 healthy ones but fear they could possibly picked up the germ so to speak.
Old 08-30-2015
Mastiffman

Have you seen the non eating graze at all? If so, you could make some algae rocks by putting them in a ten gallon and sitting it ink the sun after dechlorinating the water.

If you haven't seen them eat then I don't know. They may just be doomed. Another trick is blend up some thawed krill in to fine particles and put a tiny bit of that in there. The meds may have made the artemia unattractive to them as well. Did you try it without meds?

You definitely want to keep the lights of and tank partially covered if possible to keep stress levels low.

Sometimes meds can just push their health over the edge and just letting them stabilize out can do the trick. Water changes and meds can stress them out even more.

Last edited by Mastiffman; 08-31-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-31-2015
Troyale

Well another one bites the dust. This really sucks, i hate when fish perish in my care. The good thing is there is only one more left that wasnt eating. Going to try a bit of spirulina tonight and see if he eats. Im going to hold out until tomorrow to remove the last non eater. I have been in contact with the importer and we are trying to come up with a solution to the deaths, so we will see what happens.
Old 08-31-2015
dannyt

Really sorry to hear that mate...not much you can do really Troy when they're sick upon arrival...still sucks big time...makes it more sucky actually cause it is a rare thing that the supplier would take responsibility for fish that survive the "live arrival" guarantee but are actually "sick on arrival"...it should be an "alive & well arrival" guarantee with a 48 hour window to let the stress of transportation subside so the behavior & feeding of the fish can be observed...we all know they shouldn't be fed day 1 and everyone knows a troph not eating is a sick troph...
anyway end of rant...sorry you have to go through this mate
The Following User Says Thank You to dannyt For This Useful Post:
Troyale (08-31-2015)
Old 08-31-2015
Mastiffman

Unfortunate but also good to hear. Keep us update if you could Troy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
Troyale (08-31-2015)
Closed Thread