Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 09-20-2015
Mastiffman

::Profile::

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCT View Post
Black spot also call lake mark, usually caused by bacteria in the lake, even recover will still remain stain, they used to have on wild caught fish, but recently found on pond raised off spring as well. Nothing serious i think my tropheus has them as well.
By chance, do you the article that this was found in?
Old 09-20-2015
CCT

Keeping: Red Rainbow, Polli, Ikola, Moliro, Chimba, Canary Cheek, Red Cheek, Duboisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
By chance, do you the article that this was found in?
Sorry i remember reading from somewhere months ago but cant find them.
Old 09-20-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCT View Post
Sorry i remember reading from somewhere months ago but cant find them.
Yeah, same here. Was hoping to get it saved for future reading and reference.
Old 09-20-2015
LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Trophs.com Owner Sponsor And Admin

Keeping: A lot
Send a message via MSN to LittleAfricaAquatics.com

What I have noticed over the years is you are starting to see black (lake spots) spots in young like with wild caught. Most of us have seen the lake spots with wilds for decades and there really hasn't been much in the way of clear cut reasons why. Some of the reasons I have heard are so bizarre. They use to say it was a parasite, but I know people that have had one fish in a group of fish for a decade and no spread of it or harm to the fish. Use to hear it was from the hard travel conditions from the lake and the high ammonia that caused it. I myself think it is just injured scales, when in the wild fish are food and constantly are injured when escaping for their lives or by parasites attaching. Not sure if im right, just another educated guess really. Now we are seeing it in small fish, pond raised. I know fish being breed lake side or in ponds in Burundi are showing it, maybe from the same thing causing it in the wild. I don't think you will see it in tank raised fish just fish in the wild or grown outside. One trick you can do is use your finger nail to gently scrape the black scales off. Only do a few at a time as it can be stressful, but the black scales will come right off easily and should grow back as regular scales. Just my observation over the years.
Old 09-21-2015
Mastiffman

I was under the impression at first that it was possibly some type of genetic mutation of sorts, obviously not that great. This would explain a lot of "OB" Cichlids that are in the hobby. Being that the color of any given fish is based, not off the scales, which are actually translucent, but off of their actual skin which has cells called chromatophores. But then after reading that article that CCT and I are referring to, that it can be caused from bacteria infections that leave behind a type of scare that turns the chromatophores off and ultimately black causing the black spots to show through the scales.

But you're saying that it's possible to pop the scales off and that they will be black instead translucent? Interesting. I've never tried this. Would be cool to see it documented through photos or even on video.
Old 09-21-2015
LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Trophs.com Owner Sponsor And Admin

Keeping: A lot
Send a message via MSN to LittleAfricaAquatics.com

100%, I have done it a ton of ton of times when a fish only had a few. I scrape the black scales off they come off easily. Its nothing to do with genetics, I have seen it over 2 decades. I have had fish just like RAZZO from Cyphos who's top male has lake spots which he likes and it isn't passed on to the fry at all. Its pretty easy, take a fish showing it and scrape a couple scales with your finger nail, the black scales come right off and it isn't black underneath at all.
Old 09-21-2015
Mastiffman

Yeah I've never seen it in fry either from the wild Tropheus that I've had that had reproduced.

That's cool. I never really thought it was much to worry about anyhow. Good to know. Maybe it is from a healed past disease and only affects the Scales. It could be a way for the end product of healing from a focused disease to be released from the actual skin into the scale.

If anyone pops these scales off, post a photo of them if you get a chance.