Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 08-04-2015
JimA

::Profile::
Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house
Default A problem maybe?

Lights came on this morning and when I went to feed the herd of 70 noticed one with bulging eyes and the shape of a Tom Brady football not deflated and wobbling like a Peyton Manning pass. (sorry couldn't help it) I'm a Hawks fan.

Anyway I was able to get him out, he had a bit of damage to him, and I decided to let him go. All the others look fine and are eating well when I feed them. I hit their food/tank with a does of Metro so will see how it goes. No white stringy poop, everyone is active and swimming following me back and forth across the tank so hopefully they will be good.

Any thoughts on something other than bloat or what I should maybe watch for other than the obvious signs of bloat, which I am not sure it is?

Thanks, Jim
Old 08-04-2015
jucaben

Keeping: Moliro,F1 Chaitika,F1 Kalambo, F1 Ikola, F1 Bulu Point

Sorry to hear that. I have been battling that same issue with my Moliro's. I first noticed 1 with the bulging eyes, pulled it out and put it in a hospital tank. A few days later (maybe close to a week) I noticed a second one with the same issue, put it in with the other one and within a few days the second one was gone not the first one though(?). I have since then pulled a couple more and have lost them also but the first one seems ok, I have not wanted to put it back in the main tank. I remember there was a post on here that someone was talking about the bulging eyes, but I couldn't find it. I treated with Clout but I am waiting for some Metro. I also treated the main tank with Clout and haven't seen any more issues, I would suggest treating the tank but it would be up to you what to go with as I feel that what I believe has worked for me may not work for you. Hope this helps.

Juan
The Following User Says Thank You to jucaben For This Useful Post:
JimA (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015
JimA

Well if it's bloat it's my first case in six plus years since I got them. Hopefully it's not and just a loner case. I am not set up for a hospital tank, but if I see more of this I may have to. I didn't want to cull him, but I also didn't want to just leave him in there either. Water perams all good, only feeding small amounts twice a day. With the heat we have been having here in the PNW any chance that could set something off? I have A/C but only running it after I get home, water sitting in the high 70s to say 81 little warmer than usual but who knows?
Old 08-04-2015
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Were the scales protruding off of his bloated body? like a pine cone?

Could be dropsy. And easy fix with Maracyn-Two if caught early and put in a hospital tank.

John
Old 08-04-2015
jucaben

Keeping: Moliro,F1 Chaitika,F1 Kalambo, F1 Ikola, F1 Bulu Point

I wouldn't think water temp in that range would be a cause. I have had my Moliro's for about 4 years and haven't had any issues aside from losing a couple to aggression, I have about 50 adults in a 125. Mine came out of nowhere also, water parameters are good so I tend to think that it may be something with the water company. Did you recently do a water change?
Old 08-04-2015
JimA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
Were the scales protruding off of his bloated body? like a pine cone?

Could be dropsy. And easy fix with Maracyn-Two if caught early and put in a hospital tank.

John
No not at all, looked like a triploid trout. I watched him for a while before pulling him and they were defiantly picking on him quite a bit, he was pretty easy to catch in the 8ft tank less than 30 seconds.
Old 08-04-2015
JimA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jucaben View Post
I wouldn't think water temp in that range would be a cause. I have had my Moliro's for about 4 years and haven't had any issues aside from losing a couple to aggression, I have about 50 adults in a 125. Mine came out of nowhere also, water parameters are good so I tend to think that it may be something with the water company. Did you recently do a water change?
Last water change was less than a week ago. I did one this morning before treating with metro. Right now they all look fine and still very active. I am surprised I didn't notice this guy sooner, I am diligent at checking them out everyday when I feed them. He may have been hiding behind rocks or the background I have. I am on a well so shouldn't be water issues.
Old 08-04-2015
1971ls6

Keeping: Ikola, kasanga, Maswa

I was just in the same exact situation, same eyes and belly, it was beaten up by 2 other males, it was getting better and then they started beating on it again, time to cull it.

I did my normal WC on Saturday, changed the carbon and all is good.
JimA (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015
JimA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971ls6 View Post
I was just in the same exact situation, same eyes and belly, it was beaten up by 2 other males, it was getting better and then they started beating on it again, time to cull it.

I did my normal WC on Saturday, changed the carbon and all is good.
Good to hear! I have another does of metro I will give them in the am didn't feed them tonight. So far all still look really active and hungry.
Old 08-05-2015
Troyale

Keeping: WC Nkonde, F1 Red Ndole, WC/F1 Bulu Point

Ive had similar symptoms before with the bulging eyes and slightly sunken belly. I treated three in a 10g with metro and kanamycin for 7-10 days. Two made a full recovery and one died. I think it was too far gone as the symptoms were more severe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Troyale For This Useful Post:
JimA (08-05-2015)