Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 02-14-2014
Mastiffman

::Profile::
Default Using Thomas Labs Dewomer with...

Drip Method.

As I've used before, the drip method is a great way to embed medications into the food that you feed your fish.

It's a Pretty simple process. Just Measure out the food according to the directions and base the total amount of food to be treated to the closest fraction of a measurement to the medication.

In this Case one packet equals treatment of 4oz of food. So being light feedings, I decided to go with 1 tablespoon of food. Which equates out to just about 1/8 of 4oz and the same for the packet of medication.

I didn't have a gram scale. So I decided to pour the meds on a piece of glass and cut it as close as I could with a razor blade. Never tried that before so it was new for me and seemed to be fine for the fish. I may use again in a month to make sure effective.

Check out the videos if you'd like. They are nothing special but sometimes it helps for people to get a have a visual.

Just wanted to give credit where credit is due. John (TroPhish) Recommended the medication. Thanks John.

Video 1-Treatment and talking.

Video 2-Explanation of quick prep and medicated food.

Here is a link to the Conversion Calculator Website that I used...

http://www.onlineconversion.com/
Old 02-14-2014
Hungvanvo

Keeping: Red Rainbow, Lufubu, ILangi. Blue Rainbow, Ujiji.

Great information video, Thank Andrew. I have done some like you did on video that I use garlic powder and med soak in water and spray on the food but I don't let the food dry out or save the med food for later. The fish will love the food soft and help them easy digest food that mean fish will get med into body faster. So I make food for my fish every day in close container to keep the food moisture for the rest of the day.
Andrew, I have a long way learn from you and another member of the site. again thank you for sharing video.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hungvanvo For This Useful Post:
brunofraga (08-05-2015), Mastiffman (02-14-2014), MrFlow (02-14-2014)
Old 02-14-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungvanvo View Post
Great information video, Thank Andrew. I have done some like you did on video that I use garlic powder and med soak in water and spray on the food but I don't let the food dry out or save the med food for later. The fish will love the food soft and help them easy digest food that mean fish will get med into body faster. So I make food for my fish every day in close container to keep the food moisture for the rest of the day.
Andrew, I have a long way learn from you and another member of the site. again thank you for sharing video.
I'm very glad that you found it helpful as this is exactly the point.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
brunofraga (08-05-2015), Hungvanvo (02-14-2014)
Old 04-05-2014
TX2112

Keeping: Tanzania Star Sapphire Malawi's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
I'm very glad that you found it helpful as this is exactly the point.
Andrew what was the out come of treating your wild caught fish. Have you seen any change. I recently aquired some wild caught fish and one of the males seems a little different in body shape. ( little sunken stomach)

Thinking about treating by this method you have described.

Thanks for the info.
Greg
Old 04-05-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX2112 View Post
Andrew what was the out come of treating your wild caught fish. Have you seen any change. I recently aquired some wild caught fish and one of the males seems a little different in body shape. ( little sunken stomach)

Thinking about treating by this method you have described.

Thanks for the info.
Greg
Unfortunately exlerinced some other issues. But for an eating but skinny WC fish, Otherwose healthy except for weight, I would use a wormer in their food. Probably something more along the lines of paracide-x though.
Old 04-05-2014
TX2112

Quote:
Unfortunately exlerinced some other issues. But for an eating but skinny WC fish, Otherwose healthy except for weight, I would use a wormer in their food. Probably something more along the lines of paracide-x though.

OK thanks for the advice, only had the fish for a couple of weeks. The fish I was referring to seems to be gaining weight.
Did not know with wild caught if it was a common practice to treat.

I saw the other thread with the problem you are experiencing.

that sucks
Old 04-08-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
OK thanks for the advice, only had the fish for a couple of weeks. The fish I was referring to seems to be gaining weight.
Did not know with wild caught if it was a common practice to treat.

I saw the other thread with the problem you are experiencing.

that sucks
I would say that the two most common issues with Wild Caught are going to be Internal worms and internal bacterial infections from overstocking which can cause chronic illness if not addressed right from the get go.

So using something like Parcide-X mixed with water and sprayed into flakes on tin foil or wax paper and let to dry then fed for a good few days for Worms. And then something like Kanamycin use in the same manner described above for 7-10 days. Lots of the time Antibiotics aren't used for a long enough duration or at the appropriate dosage which causes chronic issues.

Last edited by Mastiffman; 04-08-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-08-2014
TX2112

Quote:
I would say that the two most common issues with Wild Caught are going to be Internal worms and internal bacterial infections from overstocking which can cause chronic illness if not addressed right from the get go.

So using something like Parcide-X mixed with water and sprayed into flakes on tin foil or wax paper and let to dry then fed for a good few days for Worms. And then something like Kanamycin use in the same manner described above for 7-10 days. Lots of time Antibiotics are used for a long enough duration or at the appropriate dosage which causes chronic issues.
Thanks, going to do a goggle search and purchase some and treat as a preventive.
Old 04-08-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Thanks, going to do a goggle search and purchase some and treat as a preventive.
Sounds good. I've heard a from people that if you use antibiotics to much it cause resistant strain of bacteria.

That never made complete sense to me and I researched it and found, as I suspected, that if there are no bacteria present to be exposed to the antibiotic, if used appropriately it will do no hard to the fish. Better safe than sorry in my case.

BUT, if there are bacteria present, then it will kill them off and also be good. BUT the antibiotic has to be used in the appropriate dosage AND for the proper length of Duration.

Only if bacteria are present and an antibiotic is used in less than the required dosage and under the minimum appropriate duration can it cause antibiotic resistant bacteria. And it's Only for that specific antibiotic.

This is why Metro is best used 3 times a day and a minimum of 7 days is needed if using in the water. otherwise two feedings a day with metro treated food, preferably every 12 hours for 7 days is best.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
TX2112 (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014
TX2112

Thanks for the information, great to learn about this as a preventive.

Appreciate your time and effort passing along the procedures.