Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 01-04-2014
Pam Chin
Trophs.com Ambassador

::Profile::

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
Pam, Could I just feed a lot less of the food I'm feeding as long as it maintained healthy weight?

Even if it meant barely feeding them any volume? And just let them burn the fat?

I have no problem doing that...and My filters like the idea.

Or do they just need to eat some volume?

It would be nice to avoid the increase in fiber based soley on filter and water desires..but Id like to get the fat down and that seems that i need to either thin it with bulk.... or would just feed way less work?

John

Ps. I thought youd like those flakes and pellets...the nutritional and price numbers are both pretty good!
If you think you are feeding too much then yes cut it back, if you aren't sure cut them back and see what happens. I do think we feed our fish too much and we are killing them with kindness! They should be cleaning up all their food in a few minutes or you are feeding too much. They should be grazing on the rocks and the back of the tank. Put those fish to work!

A good measurement is that a fishes stomach is the same size at its eye. That is not very much food!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Old 01-04-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Chin View Post
If you think you are feeding too much then yes cut it back, if you aren't sure cut them back and see what happens. I do think we feed our fish too much and we are killing them with kindness! They should be cleaning up all their food in a few minutes or you are feeding too much. They should be grazing on the rocks and the back of the tank. Put those fish to work!

A good measurement is that a fishes stomach is the same size at its eye. That is not very much food!

Cichlid Power!
Pam

Nice PC!!!

I Like this approach too. I'll be forthcoming and admit that I don't always feed my trophs everyday.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
Pam Chin (01-04-2014)
Old 01-05-2014
SilktheAbsentOne

Does anyone feed Kens Premium Tropheus Lovers Flake. Opinions?
Old 01-05-2014
gw12269

Keeping: Polli, Murago, Lufubu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilktheAbsentOne View Post
Does anyone feed Kens Premium Tropheus Lovers Flake. Opinions?
I have. My fish liked it, but it crumbled alot and I was left with very tiny pieces in the container. I also thought it was messy in the tank. Try Ken's Veggie Flake. I feed my Trophues that plus NLS Thera-A.
Follow me on twitter @buckslayerwells
Old 01-05-2014
SilktheAbsentOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw12269 View Post
I have. My fish liked it, but it crumbled alot and I was left with very tiny pieces in the container. I also thought it was messy in the tank. Try Ken's Veggie Flake. I feed my Trophues that plus NLS Thera-A.
So the veggie flake doesnt crumble as bad as the Tropheus premium. I have been using Tropheus Premium for over a year now and my colonies kill it but yes you do end up with quite a bit of crumbs towards the end of the bags. You definitely havd to handle it gently. I chose the Premium because of the higher spirulina content.
I also use NLS and Ocean Nutrition Formula II pellets.
Old 01-05-2014
JimA

Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

I have been using the ON formula 2 pellets mixed with NLS theraA I think my next batch of food I am going to cut down the percentage of NLS and keep more of the Ocean Nutrition in the mix. Prolly find some veggie FX as well.

Great thread! And thx for the PM trophish.
Old 01-05-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw12269 View Post
Hey, that would make a perfect fry feed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimA View Post
I have been using the ON formula 2 pellets mixed with NLS theraA I think my next batch of food I am going to cut down the percentage of NLS and keep more of the Ocean Nutrition in the mix. Prolly find some veggie FX as well.

Great thread! And thx for the PM trophish.
Yeah I have a few cans left of the ONF2 that I have been using and just got 3lbs of O1SCKS Pellets (Omega 1 Super Color Kelp Sinking) and 2 lbs. of Veggie Deluxe and 1lbs of Veggie FX that I'm gonna start feeding... Ever since all of this food discussion, I'm really rethinking the way I feed my guys and gals. So thanks to all of those that have contributed to this process for me.

We often times get into routine whether it's the best routine or not and it can be a little uneasy when acknowledging that it's time for change.

I might have to get a biggger pellet for the Petros though.

Anyone have a Suggestion in the Dainichi Line?
Old 01-05-2014
rhickman

Keeping: Currently DRY :'(

Omega one is a solid food I love it. Gonna try some dainichi as well, it's steep price wise though.

Andrew I would think the koi pellets would be big enough for Petros I believe that's what SWK uses
Old 01-05-2014
swk

dainichi koi is available in 3, 5, and 7mm I believe.

I use the 3mm for adult trophs and 5mm for adult large petro species that are 8+ inches

My longola spawned like crazy after I added the koi formula. The larger pellets really help to keep weight on large Petros as well.
Old 01-05-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhickman View Post
Omega one is a solid food I love it. Gonna try some dainichi as well, it's steep price wise though.

Andrew I would think the koi pellets would be big enough for Petros I believe that's what SWK uses

This is the least expensive price that I've seen so far and where I ordered from.

Got Pet Supplies website

I think that I saw that. Thanks!