Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 01-03-2014
Mastiffman

::Profile::

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahling View Post
I haven't had my RR Kasanga's for that long, so maybe the RR veterans can tell me if I'm on the right track in terms of colour highlights. My main pellet is Dainichi Veggie FX, fed daily. I supplement with NLS Thera+ 2-3 times a week, works out to about 15% of the pellets fed. Rounding that out are Spirulina flakes also fed daily, PE Mysis and Repashy on water change days.

So...am I on the right track for preferred RR colouring?
Ah I woukd say so! Nice!

What do they look like with the flash off?
Old 01-03-2014
dahling

Keeping: Kasanga, Mpulungu

Without the flash on my point and shooter, it's a blur, the blues on the face aren't highlighted but still not as red on John's higher % nls diet.

Old 01-03-2014
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Um...yeah. They look great!

Im lowering the NLS ASAP!

I think Ill add a LB of the FX and a couple Lbs of the low green pellets I found. I fed the sample I received back in the day and the fish ate it just fine, I just had enough of my current food at the time and hadnt thought about it since.
Old 01-03-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Without the flash on my point and shooter, it's a blur, the blues on the face aren't highlighted but still not as red on John's higher % nls diet.

Yeah there we go. Thats what will be seen looking at the tank. Nice!!!
Old 01-03-2014
TroPhish

Might be the cheapest you can find this per single pound. Free shipping for orders over $49 bucks.

http://www.gotpetsupplies.com/collec...ing-small-1-lb
Old 01-03-2014
swk

Quote:

Blue on the face looks pretty pronounced to me

The veggie fx is pretty amazing stuff
Old 01-03-2014
swk

btw - Dainichis pricing structure really rewards buying a 5lb bag. IIRC, it pretty much ends up being a free pound when you purchase a 5lb bag at once. I always try to purchase their food, and xtreme too, in as big a bag as feasible.

The true bargain is the 11lb bags of the koi feeds. Talk about CHEAP!
Old 01-03-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by swk View Post
btw - Dainichis pricing structure really rewards buying a 5lb bag. IIRC, it pretty much ends up being a free pound when you purchase a 5lb bag at once. I always try to purchase their food, and xtreme too, in as big a bag as feasible.

The true bargain is the 11lb bags of the koi feeds. Talk about CHEAP!
Thanks. Nice.
Old 01-03-2014
Pam Chin
Trophs.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
My thoughts and findings:

Something that was cost effective. Bulk, low fat, high fiber green sinking pellet. The "cheap Green Flake" of the sinking pellet world.

I think I may have found it.
Look at these pellets. http://www.yourfishstuff.com/yfs-green-supreme/ ....Pretty nice fiber and really low fat. Decent ingredients I think these might be good to blend in to my mix or to use as just a bulk staple. And the price is great too.

Hope you enjoyed my latest novel,

John
Good Shopping!!!

I also like the idea of mixing it up. I don't think you are ever going to find the "perfect" food, and I think feeding your Tropheus a variety of foods is the way to go.

The prepared fish foods available these days is unbelievable! There is so much to choose from. All of this competition has led to better foods for our fish. 10 years ago the main ingredient in fish food was bone meal, now foods are made from wild fresh salmon filets!

These foods are practically good enough for human comsumption! The issue is not the quality of these foods…. it is the over feeding of these incredibly rich foods on a daily basis.

I do like to feed flake, but there is an art to feeding it. Maybe you have to much current in your tank? Or throw too much in at one time? I never have any flake hit the bottom, if I think they are still hungry I may throw some back in, but again never to hit the bottom of the tank.

It so easy to over feed these guys, there no fish that can beg better! And for me it is watching them eat that I enjoy the most! Its hard to keep them on the hungry side, but it is better for them in the long run. It encourages them to forage and graze which is one natural behavior that we can observe in our tanks.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Old 01-04-2014
TroPhish

Pam, Could I just feed a lot less of the food I'm feeding as long as it maintained healthy weight?

Even if it meant barely feeding them any volume? And just let them burn the fat?

I have no problem doing that...and My filters like the idea.

Or do they just need to eat some volume?

It would be nice to avoid the increase in fiber based soley on filter and water desires..but Id like to get the fat down and that seems that i need to either thin it with bulk.... or would just feed way less work?

John

Ps. I thought youd like those flakes and pellets...the nutritional and price numbers are both pretty good!