Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 01-02-2014
Troyale

::Profile::
Keeping: WC Nkonde, F1 Red Ndole, WC/F1 Bulu Point

Which type of nls are you speaking on. Would it be the color enhancement formula? That would be great I just found about a fourth of a jar in my fish cabinet and they are the 1mm red pellets perfect for a try with my red ndole and nkonde. Also I agree with you on the omega one kelp. I found what i thought an empty container of the flake in my fish cabinet left from my frontosa fry. Gave it to my tropheus and they went nuts over it. Just ordered a large container of the kelp flakes from kens. But my frontosa also loved the kelp flakes as well as the nls when they were fry.

Oh one more question. Do most use pellets oppose to flake for water quality purposes.
Old 01-02-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyale View Post
Which type of nls are you speaking on. Would it be the color enhancement formula? That would be great I just found about a fourth of a jar in my fish cabinet and they are the 1mm red pellets perfect for a try with my red ndole and nkonde. Also I agree with you on the omega one kelp. I found what i thought an empty container of the flake in my fish cabinet left from my frontosa fry. Gave it to my tropheus and they went nuts over it. Just ordered a large container of the kelp flakes from kens. But my frontosa also loved the kelp flakes as well as the nls when they were fry.

Oh one more question. Do most use pellets oppose to flake for water quality purposes.
I think that it really depends on the amount of flake used at a time. If onky usng a little bit a time, it shoukd keep the water clearer overall. To kuch of any food can pollute the water.
Old 01-02-2014
swk

I have found the best color enhancing food to be dainichi veggie fx. And it works across the board on all colors, including blues and greens. It's basically a veggie deluxe pellet (which is a premium spirulina pellet) that is coated with cyclopseeze and another type of red algae powder. The spirulina content of this brand really makes the blue and green pop, and the addition of the cyclopseeze really blows the yellows, orange and reds out of the water as well. If I could afford to use it as a staple, I would feed this food all by itself, but it is not cheap. The veggie deluxe version works quite well too.

I mix this food 50/50 with xtreme pellets and am very very happy with the colors and health of my fish. The xtreme is very competitively priced along the lines of nls, but a better product IME.

On a side note, for large adult trophs, you can buy the koi version of veggie deluxe for about half the price as the cichlid version. Ingredients are almost identical and still has the clay, raw vitamin sources, and high grade spirulina that are featured in the cichlid veggie deluxe and fx lines. The smallest size it is available in is 3mm and floating only. Thats why I only use it for petros and very large, adult tropheus.

As far as flakes vs. pellets - IMO pellets deliver much more punch with less waste and cleaner water vs. flakes. As soon as my fish are big enough to take 1mm pellets, they see no more flake
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
brunofraga (09-19-2015), TroPhish (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014
rrraptor

Keeping: Tropheus D. Maswa, Tropheus Kasanga RR's,

I strongly agree with Mastiffman with any food, I feed my tropheus 5 times a day, but only enough to where it is all gone in well under a minute. This is the key to WASTE NOT WANT NOT and not clouding water or getting sucked up in the filter..

3-WC White Calvus (trio)
21-F1 Tropheus RR Sub-adults
19-F1 Tropheus Maswas Sub-adults
1-55gl full of F1 white Calvus juveniles
7-Cyathopharynx Foai Sibwesa
Old 01-02-2014
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExReefer View Post
Are the photos of the new stock being taken from a different tank? Or are you saying the new and old stock are in the same tank now? I only ask because the lighting and background look different in the photos.
Yes, the solo pics of the new stock are in a quarantine tank.

And then the group shots of the older stock are in a different tank with a different background.

But the final shots are of them all together.

Lighting is a little bit different in the two tanks, but that issue kinda gets resolved once they were put together and those final pics are of them together.

To be honest, it was once they were together and under the same lights that I finally noticed as the two tanks are not in the same room so I didnt look at them at the same time.

And yes the color difference is even more pronounced in the pre vs post new tank shots...but it still shows big time now that they are together.

I'll Shoot a video later and add it to this thread.

Anyway, the first thing Im going to do is continue to feed them the exact same thing that I'm feeding them to see if they even out and because its what I have at the moment.

I then plan to reduce the NLS% by either just mixing in less or by potentially mixing in an additional food that is very high in spirulina, very low in fat, and very high in fiber.

I may blend in a bag of Dianchi Veggie FX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyale View Post

This was NLS Thera A fed at 30% (by weight) of their diet.

And yes, I feed pellets because of water clarity and filter maintenance reasons as well as ease of measuring etc.
When you feed a 100% diet of flake or shrimp mix to a really huge colony, they make a really big mess.

When you feed pellets...as soon as the pellets vanish from the water...the water is instantly clear again.

This colony of 60 RR is currently eating 1 tsp of pellets, twice a day, equaling 2 tsp.

However, I may go to 3/4 x twice a day or 1/2 tsp, 3 times a day totaling only 1.5 teaspoons.

Or 1/2, 3/4, 1/2 - 1.75teaspoons.

By the way, a teaspoon of my pellets weighs 3 grams. But I would have to throw a lot of flake in their to get to that weight, so the flake just makes more of a mess.

As I said above, Im thinking of adding in a high spirulina, low fat, high fiber food and in that case I would lean towards only 1/2 teaspoon of my mixed pellets per day.

I can tell you that I like pellets so much that I would be much quicker to jump at some of these suggested high fiber foods if they were available in a pellet form.

Breaking away from flake was the best thing ever...and Im not going back.

For me, pellets are just "the way"

However, I am willing to blend in something to my mix to make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
I think that it really depends on the amount of flake used at a time. If only using a little bit a time, it should keep the water clearer overall. To much of any food can pollute the water.
Yup. Same with the pellets. Food instructions say feed only what can be eaten in 2 minutes or something along those lines!

Id have to time it, but the amount that I feed per meal is normally gone in what seems like 10....maybe 15 seconds max! and about 30 seconds later, when you look a t the tank, the water is so crunchy high def clear...endorphins squish from your brain like water from a sponge filter...just by looking at it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swk View Post
I have found the best color enhancing food to be dainichi veggie fx. And it works across the board on all colors, including blues and greens. It's basically a veggie deluxe pellet (which is a premium spirulina pellet) that is coated with cyclopseeze and another type of red algae powder. The spirulina content of this brand really makes the blue and green pop, and the addition of the cyclopseeze really blows the yellows, orange and reds out of the water as well. If I could afford to use it as a staple, I would feed this food all by itself, but it is not cheap. The veggie deluxe version works quite well too.

I mix this food 50/50 with xtreme pellets and am very very happy with the colors and health of my fish. The xtreme is very competitively priced along the lines of nls, but a better product IME.

On a side note, for large adult trophs, you can buy the koi version of veggie deluxe for about half the price as the cichlid version. Ingredients are almost identical and still has the clay, raw vitamin sources, and high grade spirulina that are featured in the cichlid veggie deluxe and fx lines. The smallest size it is available in is 3mm and floating only. Thats why I only use it for petros and very large, adult tropheus.

As far as flakes vs. pellets - IMO pellets deliver much more punch with less waste and cleaner water vs. flakes. As soon as my fish are big enough to take 1mm pellets, they see no more flake

Thanks Sean, Im just going to have to break down and try the dainichi veggie fx.

At the price, I dont think Ill feed it exclusively. But I dont see a problem in blending a pound of it in with my current mix.

I appreciate you chiming in with your experience. Its those other colors that you mentioned that can get neglected. REd seems to be the easy one to enhance.

Oh, And Iv even started occasionally letting fry eat on pellets like the are mini algae wafers. Works pretty good.

John
Old 01-02-2014
TroPhish

Quote:
Originally Posted by swk View Post

Have you seen the Veggie FX Reef? Whats your thoughts on this food?

And what have you found a a good source for the FX? And the fat level is pretty low too on the Regular Veggie FX...Hmmm...this may work
Old 01-02-2014
rrraptor

Keeping: Tropheus D. Maswa, Tropheus Kasanga RR's,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
Have you seen the Veggie FX Reef? Whats your thoughts on this food?

And what have you found a a good source for the FX? And the fat level is pretty low too on the Regular Veggie FX...Hmmm...this may work

http://www.roxiespetden.com/Aquarium..._40#googlebase
usually has it but seems to be out.

You can find it on ebay as well and try not to pay more than $15. for the 8.8 oz.
I found some locally on sale for $11.50 and bought the last two packages a few months ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAINICHI-CIC...item27dc8ebb26

it seems the prices have gone up on the 8.8oz package, and you can get the 1.1lbs package for around $26.00

3-WC White Calvus (trio)
21-F1 Tropheus RR Sub-adults
19-F1 Tropheus Maswas Sub-adults
1-55gl full of F1 white Calvus juveniles
7-Cyathopharynx Foai Sibwesa
Old 01-02-2014
swk

Check with Alison. She has the best prices around when she has it in stock
Old 01-03-2014
TroPhish

My thoughts and findings:

From what Im gathering through Pams suggested flakes, combined with her decade long term care of various tropheus colonies... and my own experience with feeding low fiber foods, its not the fiber that is as big of a concern as is the fat content. It cant be the fiber that's worth losing sleep over. I just don't get blockages.

Sure, zero fiber would be bad...and sure, a little higher fiber wouldn't hurt but I don't have any problems with blockages occurring from what I'm currently feeding. So any higher % is good.and I will take it..but no need to shoot the moon! My needs and filter load/ maintenance are of importance too. Its about balance. I like the tropheus to be healthy..but I also like clean water.

So I'm all for raising the fiber content of my mix a lil..but no need to go crazy.

It seems that Pam also doesnt get overly concerned with double digit fiber levels either...Based on most of her flake suggestions that only had around 4% fiber.

She stressed that fat was of greater concern.

That I can agree with and was wiling to explore.

Too high a fat content...seems fat would be a silent killer. Even though I may not keep my tropheus for as long as Some keepers, I still dont want to pass on a colony thats long term health was compromised due to my keeping. So I am all for lowering that as much as possible....in pellet form. Remember, My needs as a keep are an important consideration.

Also, I dont want to lower the fat to ultra low levels, as I enjoy breeding the crap out of tropheus. I want healthy balance.

Now Dainichi veggie fx seems to fit the bill as far as the fat numbers are concerned, but the price is a bit prohibitive for it to be used as a staple for us feeding a lot of mouths. But Im sure Ill end up running some of it through some tropheus to see if I like how they look on it. It might end up as a troph treat.

So, what I realized I needed was a food that was at my current level of fiber....or higher would also of course be acceptable and certainly beneficial. But I did not want the fiber to be to double as I just see no need.

So what I needed was a veggie based pellets that the main focus was a reduced Fat%.

Something that was cost effective. Bulk, low fat, high fiber green sinking pellet. The "cheap Green Flake" of the sinking pellet world.

I think I may have found it.
Look at these pellets. http://www.yourfishstuff.com/yfs-green-supreme/ ....Pretty nice fiber and really low fat. Decent ingredients I think these might be good to blend in to my mix or to use as just a bulk staple. And the price is great too.

Blended with Omega One at a 50/50 split, the fiber,fat, and Protein % look good. If my math comes out right it would be:

Min. Crude Protein….36%
Min. Crude Fat………6.5%
Max. Crude Fiber…….6%
Max. Moisture about 9%

And the blended cost would be less than 10 per pound.

Of course you could blend it heavier towards the green supreme side and that would lower the fat even furthur....and raise the fiber levels

And things like NLS, Dainichi veggie fx, krill, wafers etc could be used as a treat or also blended in.

And these flakes look pretty good for those of you that feed flake...Pam the price as well as nutritional info seems comparable to what you suggested and the owner of this company has sent me free samples of the pellets. Seems like a nice guy.

http://www.yourfishstuff.com/yfs-very-veggie-flakes/

http://www.yourfishstuff.com/yfs-spirulina-flakes/

http://www.yourfishstuff.com/yfs-sup...rulina-flakes/

http://www.yourfishstuff.com/yfs-super-veggie-flakes/

Hope you enjoyed my latest novel,

John
The Following User Says Thank You to TroPhish For This Useful Post:
dahling (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014
dahling

Keeping: Kasanga, Mpulungu

I haven't had my RR Kasanga's for that long, so maybe the RR veterans can tell me if I'm on the right track in terms of colour highlights. My main pellet is Dainichi Veggie FX, fed daily. I supplement with NLS Thera+ 2-3 times a week, works out to about 15% of the pellets fed. Rounding that out are Spirulina flakes also fed daily, PE Mysis and Repashy on water change days.

So...am I on the right track for preferred RR colouring?
The Following User Says Thank You to dahling For This Useful Post:
Michael (01-04-2014)