Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 05-25-2013
m1ke715m

::Profile::

ok so basically, many things can cause bloat.. hexamita, spironucleus, or Dysbiosis all usually as a result of some stressor.. bloat is the symptom.. it makes me wonder thou if a fish gets bloat from dysbiosis if metro would even cure it or any other anti-protozoan medication.. as thats not the source of the issue..
Old 05-25-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogo View Post
Andrew is there a difference between the Pond Strength Pimafix and regular Pimafix.

Thanks
Joe
yes, it's more concentrated... So you need less do dose the same. it's meant for larger tank treatments. Like a pond... So you don't have to purchase 100 bottle of the regular just to treat a pond.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2013
PHunKyPHiShMaN

Keeping: moops

wow! such valuable information! Thanks for sharing
Old 06-12-2013
#1 Cichlids
Site Advisor

Keeping: Tangs,Malawi,Haps

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHunKyPHiShMaN View Post
wow! such valuable information! Thanks for sharing
Nice to see you here Will
Old 06-13-2013
kitana

Keeping: WC Tropheus moorii Kasanga

Happy this thread helped.

To give an update: the two fish that I was treating with antibiotic injections finally died, but they died after a week of treatment instead of dying within teh first 24 hours. I'm not sure if a week of suffering was worth it though. I've lost a few others after that and I'm now down to 17 fish from the original 28. The ones left are thriving. And I'm not buying Tropeus again ever, finally I don't appreciate their behaviors, I wish I had bought some Kilesas instead... But they are in a public place and people who come and see them love their colors and activity level.
Old 06-13-2013
Josef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitana View Post
Happy this thread helped.
And I'm not buying Tropeus again ever, finally I don't appreciate their behaviors, I wish I had bought some Kilesas instead... But they are in a public place and people who come and see them love their colors and activity level.
My sentiments exactly.

And might I add this...
I've kept Tropheus over the years and I have had successes and failures. The failures far outweighed the successes and here's why ...

The failures were costly - Tropheus are expensive.

The successes were unprofitable - I don't breed and sell fish.

My experience has shown me that keeping Tropheus is a loosing proposition.

I truly and really hope this helps someone.
Old 06-28-2013
Josef

Kitana - did any survive?
Old 06-28-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef View Post
My sentiments exactly.

And might I add this...
I've kept Tropheus over the years and I have had successes and failures. The failures far outweighed the successes and here's why ...

The failures were costly - Tropheus are expensive.

The successes were unprofitable - I don't breed and sell fish.

My experience has shown me that keeping Tropheus is a loosing proposition.

I truly and really hope this helps someone.

I'm gonna have to guess that a bit of pessimism is not really helping anyone.

Just remember josef that there is a proper choice for each persons situation. If someone isn't intending on producing F1 fry I think that the safer bet would have been F1/F2. May have been an more pleasant and easier time.

Tropheus "can" be tough to get used to as far as Care, for someone that is not completely used to the routine of care and regimen during sickness that they require. This is not to say that you couldn't have gotten used to it. but that it may not have been up your alley or that you just simply had a bad string of luck or lacked in blessings during this time. But please and politely remember while sharing your own experience, not to discourage others in the choice to keep Tropheus based off of your sole experience. There's a whole host of reasons why someone may have an unpleasant experience keeping Tropheus. Maybe not even have been their fault either.

AC

Last edited by Mastiffman; 05-28-2014 at 04:21 PM. Reason: fixed text
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
pinoy (06-28-2013), TylerB (06-28-2013)
Old 06-29-2013
kitana

Keeping: WC Tropheus moorii Kasanga

Yes Josef, 17 survived and are actually thriving. I chose WC so I could grow some F1s, not really to make money but to spread the variant around a bit (it's far from common in Québec). If I ever buy Tropheus again, I will definitely discuss the shipping conditions with the seller much more in-depths than I did, I feel like they were screwed right from the start the way they were shipped to me...

The Cyps that live with them are already breeding and adapted beautifully to these big'uns swimming with them, they even come begging for food with the Trophs at meal time, something I have never seen Cyps do!
Old 06-30-2013
Josef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitana View Post
Yes Josef, 17 survived and are actually thriving. I chose WC so I could grow some F1s, not really to make money but to spread the variant around a bit (it's far from common in Québec). If I ever buy Tropheus again, I will definitely discuss the shipping conditions with the seller much more in-depths than I did, I feel like they were screwed right from the start the way they were shipped to me...

The Cyps that live with them are already breeding and adapted beautifully to these big'uns swimming with them, they even come begging for food with the Trophs at meal time, something I have never seen Cyps do!
Glad to hear it!

I lost a whole colony of F1's Maswa Dubs after growing them from an inch. That is not my first colony but it is the first colony I ever lost - they all died similar to the way your fish died.

And I can tell you what killed them, I would drop left over baby brine shrimp into my Dub tank.

But - they did not die of Bloat. They would not bloat all. No stringy feces. No wobbly swimming pattern over the sand.

They would just stop eating, still act normal, but then a couple of days not eating they begin to discolor around the bottom flank. Then they become lethargic 24 hours before death.

The timespan for all 19 fish to die from not eating to death was about four days each.

The whole process took about a month.

I've seen trophs get bloat before - these guys did not exhibit the typical symptoms.

I treated a couple of times with Clout. I treated with Epsom salt. Nothing worked. I just let nature take it's course after that