Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 04-16-2010
billansor

::Profile::
Send a message via Yahoo to billansor

Excellent video

Very very good process... how long does it take for you to make yours now?

Where did you get the spirulinia powder??

Again.. Excellent job!!

Bill
Old 04-17-2010
Pali

@buba It's good that your slowly getting them used to the shrimp mix, my W/C group also had a little time to adjust and they are getting more and more crazy about it.

I made a feeding video -
I don't know if they go crazy, but they seem to like it.

Nice to know it's easy to follow, Im not fluent enough in english when I speak to the cam. It's not my native tounge, so it's IMO eayer to do with text instead of all my ummm's and broken english.

@billansor Thanx mate

I got the spirulina from a big LFS/petshop, it's the only place I have been able to for a desent price. The health food stores here did'nt have it, they had to order it home in small containers and it rasied the price.

This time around it did'nt take very long, but I only made 3 lbs this time as I still have alot of the first mix. It took me about a hour, I had about 60 minutes of film when I was done.

Im all new to the vidoe makeing, but it's a lot of fun when it works. Sucks when my labtop shuts down, it's not build for video editing I guess. Takes a lot of time to compile the video projects, a few days ago it broke down and deleted several hours work :blink:
Old 04-17-2010
JkdJedi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pali @ Apr 16 2010, 04:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Im happy others can use this and that bill was so nice to give me the recipe.

Anyway I have been playing around a little and made a little changes to the recipe, adding agar to the shrimp mix so it ends up as a "jell-o" fishfood

The Agar mix don't mess up the tank nearly as much as the regula mix, the fish takes longer to eat the cubes but this way they eat most of the food. The other mix is spred out the tank a lot, messing the look of up some time after each feeding.

I added 16 grams of agar to 250 ml of water, added it to a 3 lb shrimp mix and it's good. So 45-50 grams of agar for the whole 9 lb recipe.

Here is a DIY video of the agar mix I made yesterday - Homemade Shrimp mix with Agar

Also it was sooo much easyer to deal with, cutting the shrimp mix in cubes before it's frozen.

Have a nice day[/b]
Nice! Thank You.
Old 10-28-2010
katmandu

i bought today all ingridients.

big job tomorrow morning.i hope that my fish will like it

regards

Tom

http://cichlidrules.blogspot.com/

450 L-South american Geophaginae family(Guianacara,GeophagusT.maculipinis)
http://www.oddballexpress.net/forums...php?albumid=59
http://www.oddballexpress.net/forums....php?albumid=9
450 L-Tanganiyka setup(currently Tropheus moori green Murago x 3,Tropheus duboisi x 10,3 x Synodontis petricola,on the look out for Petrochromis
100 L-Tropheus sp.black kaiser x 4
few plecs as well
Old 10-28-2010
raemaruk

Keeping: Tropheus Murago, Ilangi & Petrochromis Red Bulu Point

Okay, I have been feeding shrimp mix to my fish for the last two years. You can use gelatine for vegetarians but I have also used mammalian gelatine with no ill effects. So use whichever you are able to get hold of as a binding agent.

Secondly,I use the whole shrimp shell and tail. I also include pumpkin, spinach(loads!!), carrots, apples,pears, kiwi fruit, gala melon, pak choi etc etc

The use of pumpkin, carrots and melon are especially essential for fish with red colouration. Also, the shell of the shrimp contains minerals that will aid the 'red' colouration.

I'm a strong advocate of shrimp mix, as I believe that no dry food can be more beneficial than freshly frozed food. It's just impossible.

NB I have a pre-filter in my aquarium, this mix will contaminate your water a lot faster than feeding flakes/pellets so you will need to step-up on water changes or just feed on ,the two/three days leading up to your water change.
Old 01-23-2012
cichlidguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pali View Post
Im happy others can use this and that bill was so nice to give me the recipe.

Anyway I have been playing around a little and made a little changes to the recipe, adding agar to the shrimp mix so it ends up as a "jell-o" fishfood

The Agar mix don't mess up the tank nearly as much as the regula mix, the fish takes longer to eat the cubes but this way they eat most of the food. The other mix is spred out the tank a lot, messing the look of up some time after each feeding.

I added 16 grams of agar to 250 ml of water, added it to a 3 lb shrimp mix and it's good. So 45-50 grams of agar for the whole 9 lb recipe.

Here is a DIY video of the agar mix I made yesterday - Homemade Shrimp mix with Agar

Also it was sooo much easyer to deal with, cutting the shrimp mix in cubes before it's frozen.

Have a nice day
where do you buy agar?
Old 01-24-2012
gonefishingaquatics

I had to order that online

Troph mpimbwe, namansi reef, duboisi maswa, malasa island

cyprichromis leptosoma kitumba, Cyatopharynx foai Mbita, callochromis melanostigma, benthochromis tricoti, cyphotilapia gibberosa moba, Placidochromis Phenochilus Tanzania, gnathochromis perximillaris

Tanks: 360, 150, 135, 125, 125, 90(reef), 55, 55, 20, 20
Old 09-29-2012
Vorup

Keeping: Ilangi, Kalambo

My trophs also love shrimpmix and i have used it for several years and for many different variants.

Recently i have bought a large group of wc Ilangi. Will the mix misscolor the fish?
The shrimps and the paprika improves the red on eg bemba, will it do the same here?

If yes, what is the alternative if you want to keep and improve the yellow colors on the Ilangi? Any dry food improving yellow?
Old 09-29-2012
tangjim

Just wondering if anyone has ever considered using frozen krill instead of shrimp.
Old 12-11-2012
MpimbwePete

Keeping: duboisi, "firefox"
Default Shrimp mix

Very interested in your recipe - curious about the paprika - I have mixed in 2 crushed multi-vitamin tablets - they seem to thrive on the frozen food mix.
My recipe uses 3 teaspoons of concentrated spirulina
The Following User Says Thank You to MpimbwePete For This Useful Post:
Jrbama (12-27-2013)