Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 03-31-2010
Pali

::Profile::

Howdy fellow troph keepers, here is a step by step recipe to homemade Shrimp mix.
First a big thank you to billansor for the recipe for 9 lb of shrimp mix.

ALL INGEDIENTS SHOULD BE FRESH AND WASHED SEVERAL TIMES!
I prefer to use organic grown veggies, as they are free of additives. If you can't get fresh veggies, frozen will do the job out of season.
Ingredients:
1 lb spinach
1 lb mustard greens (I use kale, as mustard greens isn't available here)
1 whole garlic
1 lb natural peas
1 lb natural green beans
42 oz frozen shrimp
4 to 6 heaping tablespoon of Spirulinia powder
Small can of Paprika
Tools:
Blender
Food processor / veggie shredder
Freezer

Other stuff (you should find in most kitchens):
Large kitchen knife
Long wooden spoon
Large bowel or pot
Soup spoon
Freezer Zip-lock bags or Ice trays
Work time approximately 3 hours incl. cleaning.

Step #1
I removed the shrimp tails quick under cold running water, as I'm going to freeze them again and it's not safe to freeze shrimps again after they have been defrosted. So back into the freezer with them as soon as possible

Step #2
Wash your veggies, I also was the frozen peas and green beans, getting them ready to use in different bowls. Peal the whole garlic I use Egyptian garlic, the cloves are not covered with skin, so it's a lot easier to peal then regular garlic.

Step #3
Blend the peas, beans along with a little water, I add cup of water for the peas and cup for the beans give or take. It's better to use a little too much water then to little, as your blender will heat up and you risk killing it. Chop the spinach with a big kitchen knife and blend it with the garlic and mix in pea and bean puree or make it into puree with a food processor, then mix the whole deal together in the big bowel.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pali For This Useful Post:
new2troph (09-29-2012)
Old 03-31-2010
Pali

Step #4
Shredding the frozen kale and shrimps, this is why the shrimps were returned to the freezer. The kale have been removed from the stalk, chopped and frozen in small balls, they are not as good as fresh kale but a lot easier to work with. The shrimps need to be frozen solid to be shredded, but it's a very easy job done.

Step #5
Everything should be blended and mixed together in the large bowel or pot, now you add the paprika and the spirulina. Stir a little, till it's no longer dusty.

Step #6
Now we are almost done, last before I bagged it all I gave it a last run thru the food processor. Smoothing the kale and shrimp out, mixing the spirulina and paprika well into the whole deal.
Last I pourd the mixture into zip-lock freezer bags, sucked the air out of the bag and flattened it before I put them in the freezer. You can use ice cube trays if you like

Step #7
After 5-6 hours freezing time, give it a feel once in a while as every freezer is different. The bags shouldn't be solid frozen yet but getting there and you can easily cut the sheets into squares, put them in a zip bag and in to the freezer and the next day it's ready to feed with.

Good advice clean up as you go from step to step! Everything is very easy to wipe up and clean up when you spill it, but once it's dry it sticks like glue.

I have ordered some agar home as gelatin isn't good for trophs, agar is gelling agent made from red algae and should be okay to feed the fish. With this I hope I will be able to make it into a gel that I can cut in squares and freeze, and that way jump step #7.

Hope sombody out there can use this
Old 03-31-2010
dwillingm

Thanks for putting this recipe together. Nice pictures too.

I have read in other recipes to leave the tail on, and use whole shrimps with the head still on. Something about the shells being good for the trophs?

What do you think about this?

Old 03-31-2010
Pali

@dwillingm Hi there first of I did'nt put the recipe together, but thank you - I got it from billansoranother user on this forum.

I did put this DIY together and take my own pic's, bill have one to on another forum - very simular to this one. Maybe he will upload it, his have some nice pictures too.

I have read the same thing about leaving the tails on, I don't think id makes much difference. The shell is high in calcium, so it's prolly not bad for them. The reason why I remove it is my own made up idea, that the shrimps I use are much bigger then what they might find in nature, in fresh water. The shell is much harder on this shrimps and I don't know how they will "go down", so I remove them in case the fish have trouble eating them and passing them thru there system.
Old 03-31-2010
1711FM

I agree with dwillingm, I saw on every website they recommend the whole shrimp with shell presumably it's high protein and good for the trophs. I haven't tried to make it yet, but thanks for the step by steps pictures.

Our greatest glory is not in never failing but in rising every time we fall
Old 03-31-2010
Kosmo

I feed Shrimp mix to my Trophs all the time. The only part of the shrimp not used for my mix is the shell behind the head, do to it seem thick. Head, tail, shell, and all go into the mix, the nutritional value is greater this way, and I've read that the shell helps the digestion.
I've always used non flavovored gelitan mix in my batches of shrimp mix. The only thing I've read is that it is not good if your gelitan mix has clumps in it. All that is needed to prevent this is to stir the gelitan completely.
Food for thought. LOL I really was not even trying, kinda funny.
Old 03-31-2010
JkdJedi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1711FM @ Mar 31 2010, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I agree with dwillingm, I saw on every website they recommend the whole shrimp with shell presumably it's high protein and good for the trophs. I haven't tried to make it yet, but thanks for the step by steps pictures.[/b]
I've read somewhere that the shells when grinded down act as fiber.
Old 03-31-2010
Heather

Excellent thread, great job walking us through it.

Our newest sticky....
Old 04-16-2010
Pali

Im happy others can use this and that bill was so nice to give me the recipe.

Anyway I have been playing around a little and made a little changes to the recipe, adding agar to the shrimp mix so it ends up as a "jell-o" fishfood

The Agar mix don't mess up the tank nearly as much as the regula mix, the fish takes longer to eat the cubes but this way they eat most of the food. The other mix is spred out the tank a lot, messing the look of up some time after each feeding.

I added 16 grams of agar to 250 ml of water, added it to a 3 lb shrimp mix and it's good. So 45-50 grams of agar for the whole 9 lb recipe.

Here is a DIY video of the agar mix I made yesterday - Homemade Shrimp mix with Agar

Also it was sooo much easyer to deal with, cutting the shrimp mix in cubes before it's frozen.

Have a nice day
Old 04-16-2010
buba

Keeping: Ikola, Kasakalawe, Duboisi, Golden Kazumba

Great looking video, it explains everything
I did it similar, just haven't warm up shrimp mix before adding agar.
My trophs eat shrimp mix for last month or so. I'm slowly giving them more
and more. Now they are getting it every 4 days.
How are your trophs reacting on food? Must say that while they are jumping
on every other food, when they get shrimpmix they dont get crazy.
Guess, they have to try a little more.

buba
The Following User Says Thank You to buba For This Useful Post:
Jrbama (12-27-2013)