Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

View Poll Results: How much salt and what kind?
Instant Ocean Marine Salt 4 4.30%
Seachem Rift Lake Salt 36 38.71%
Epsom Salt 34 36.56%
None of the above, please explain. 19 20.43%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2009
dtscheung

::Profile::

changed a little in my routine:

1 teaspoon of epsom salt + 1 tablespoon of marine salt per 5 US gallons.. add reef buffer as well to increase KH.... final parameters are something around KH 15 and GH 20.
Old 07-29-2009
salaczar

Currently per 5gal: .5tsp Kosher or marine salt (depending on what I have on hand), 1tsp Epsom, & 1tsp baking soda. It all depends on your tap.
Old 07-29-2009
dtscheung

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(salaCzar @ Jul 29 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Currently per 5gal: 1tsp Kosher or marine salt (depending on what I have on hand), 2tsp Epsom, & 2tsp baking soda. It all depends on your tap.[/b]
Sounds like you also got soft water. What is the final parameters based on your dosages? My water is quite strange.. it comes with high PH like at 9.0, but KH and GH are both 0.
Old 07-30-2009
salaczar

Sorry about that. I didn't engage my brain before typing. It's actually half of that (I work in twenties and only divided by two instead of four). I'll edit my post with the proper proportions. My tank water: GH = ~16; KH = ~12; PH = ~8.2.
Old 03-07-2011
JayLar

I have weird water too ... extremely soft ... 7.8PH GH & KH around zero.
I aim for settings of <=8.4PH, 16GH, 14KH
My water change dose rates per 100Litres based on my tap water settings are (sorry for the metrics):
Seachem Cichlid salt: 28 grams (standard Tang dose)
Seachem Tang Buffer: 6 grams (about a half dose)
Epsom salts: 25 grams
Bi-carb: 37 grams
Using standard seachem rates without the epsom or bi-carb doesn't give me adequate GH or KH.
I always top up for evaporation before dosed water changes.
What I wouldn't do for Texas Tap!
Old 03-07-2011
JkdJedi

EpSOm Salt has saved me on a many occasion when the herd starts feeling or acting funny (constipation is bad for Tropheus). With new tanks I believe it to be a must as it soothes them and helps in the acclimation of their new surroundings. (vary cheap too ) i found out that the mineral, Magnesium Sulphate, is abundant in Lake Tanganyika. Epsom Salt! Once acclimated I slowly reduce the amount in the tank simply by not adding any when doing the water change.
Old 07-12-2011
WhosUrdadi

i use 3 parts of epsom salt and 1 part of baking soda, shake them in a container and i use 1 table spoon per 5 gallons.
Old 07-13-2011
Pam Chin
Trophs.com Ambassador

I think part of the confusion is the word Salt.

You have your salt that adds salinity, and then you have your "salts" that add minerals to the water that may increase your hardness and up your pH.

The main reason people add salt for salinity in their tanks is as a preventative against many things. This is a major debate between hobbyists as whether to use salt, as in salinity to their tanks. Personally I walk the fence on this issue, I don't know that it does any good, but I don't know that it hurts anything either. I don't use salt for salinity myself. Aquarium salt, kosher salt, soft water softner salt, etc, does not raise your pH.

Then you have your "salts" that aid in adding minerals to your water, which increase your TDS and can also increase your pH. You can buy these at the fish store, or make your own with house hold chemicals. It is generally a mix between baking soda and epsom salts.

Everyones water is different, so there is no set recipe how much salt or "salts" you should add to your tank to manipulate your water. Its trial and error. and your pH can crash quickly and more easily then if you are trying to raise your pH with a substrate or filter media.

I am just saying, be aware of what your adding to your tank and why.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pam Chin For This Useful Post:
flyn dutchmn (04-25-2012), Hague1982 (07-09-2012), Teemack18 (08-31-2015)
Old 07-14-2011
fishdisease

Send a message via Yahoo to fishdisease

The primary aim of all commercial products that contain salts for cichlids (Seachem, JBL, Aquatic Nature, and others), is to adjust the water hardness (KH and GH). Secondary, by their trace elements all those products trying to simulate, as much is possbile, water from African lakes.
In the past, I used a variety of such products. Gradually, I decreased the amount of used salts until my fish were familiarized with tap water.
But....i have two external canister (JBL e1500, Tetratec 1200) for each tank, filled with marble and crushed coral ...just because KH and GH in my town are very low....just 1-2 degrees.

I don't use salt (sodium chloride) against various pathogens. A "healthy" tank, with a good water and food don't need salt.
Remember...tropical fish are hyperosmotic. Accidental large amounts of salt increase the salinity of the enviroment and the fish will be "hypoosmotic", related to water osmolarity, and consequently appears shock or osmotic stress...

Last edited by fishdisease; 07-14-2011 at 02:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fishdisease For This Useful Post:
gernot (07-22-2011)
Old 08-25-2011
jaymusson1

My ph is 7.5 and I keep all wild with no prob's.All breeding at a good rate with no bloat apart from fighting.I do add Seachem salt at about 1 teaspoon to 25 gal.I don't follow the instructions for obvious reasons and only use ocean rock and coral sand/oyster shell to buffer.I change 75% water in a week over 2 changes and feed them good food regular and small amount.As little fuss as possible and good filtration.This way you will get them breeding in no time at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to jaymusson1 For This Useful Post:
Gerald (09-18-2012)