Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

View Poll Results: Water Changes
Chlorine neutralizer only 149 28.76%
Chlorine neutralizer and buffer 45 8.69%
Chlorine neutralizer and salt 57 11.00%
Chlorine neutralizer and epsom salt 38 7.34%
Chlorine neutralizer, buffer and salt/epsom salt 120 23.17%
Other (please describe below) 109 21.04%
Voters: 518. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2008
Jfront

::Profile::

50% W/C weekly vacuming brown painted bottom (NO SUBSTRATE!!!!). I actually add no chlorine neutrilizers (sorry 'bout the vote on that), because I am on a well (its an awesome deal...8.6 ph out of the tap, and I don't lose any thing on the ph, even after a week in the tank!!!!!! over 300 gh). Never have had a tropheus die, or catch bloat!! The less you add to the water the better, even if you measure, its not an exact science. If your in a low ph water district, add baking soda...nothing else (I know that from friends who use it). Don't fall into the pet stores gimmicks, they say you "have to have it" because they want the sale. Most of their money is made in accessories...remember that!! I feed NLS and veggies flakes that I buy from a certain person. I am not trying to sound mean or anything like that, but this is fish keeping not rocket science. The less you add to the water the better. As for salts, they certainly don't hurt anything, I just don't use them. Epsom Salt contains a degree of medication, why would you use it unless your fish are sick or damaged (from shipping or fighting). I really don't think Lake Tanganyika has epsom salts in it.
Anyway, I really enjoy this website and all the info on it.
Thanks for letting me share my view...you guys are great...

Old 06-24-2008
Mr. Johnson

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Johnson

Jfront,

Where do you live? thats some good water you got coming out the well.

Update on my w/c routine. I been doing 50% two times a week. And I been feeding them retarded amounts of NLS. They are going faster then ever.

Old 06-25-2008
flashg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kilroy @ Jun 15 2008, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(flashg @ Jun 14 2008, 04:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quote:
I do a 30-50% weekly water change... I do not add anything to the water (I decided prime or tap conditioners are a waste of money.) On the other hand I do add epsom salt on occation when I notice my fish have really been beating on each other.[/b]
I would suggest anyone starting out that is reading this should make inquiries with their local water treatment centre to see just what they add to the water. If it is only chlorine, you can get rid of most of it simply by aerating the water for a couple of days. It they add chloramines, then I would definitely add water conditioners that treat for chloramines because there is a good chance they could kill your fish. A bit of dechlorinator is a small price to pay for peace of mind in my opinion.
[/b][/quote]

True, but the amount of chlorine in my water is minimal, I will use a little bit of API if a do a huge water change, but at 30 -50% it is redundant IMO... Never had a problem not using it. Alway better to be safe than sorry though

BTW epsom salt is a real good source of benefical electroylites and it is also a saline laxitive. I don't use it on a regular basis just when my fish tear each other up.

<a href="http://aquaticjunkies.com/" target="_blank">
</a>
Old 06-27-2008
Mr. Johnson

flashg,

"
BTW epsom salt is a real good source of benefical electroylites and it is also a saline laxitive. I don't use it on a regular basis just when my fish tear each other up."

I agree with you 100% on this one. A lot of people want to mess with the water alot. I don't believe in doing that. Some add epsom salt all the time and it is a good source of benefical electroylites. However, I too only use it when my fish tear each other up. IMO, giving them meds all then time when the don't need it may take away from how effective the meds are when they DO need it.
Old 07-04-2008
Jfront

Hi Mr. Johnson....I live near Springfield, MO...AKA limestone central....We have so many dissolved solids in our water, that when I put my TDS meter in the water, it said..."are you serious, you want me to measure this!!??" Anyway, I am fortunate, and I am planning on getting more tropheus, amoung other Tangs. soon. I have a W/C Cypho. Moba colony. Had them in the tank less than 2 weeks and 2 of my females had spawned, so my water is great!!!
Have a great day everybody and Happy Birthday America, we have our problems, but its still the greatest country in the world to live in!!!!!! Thanks to all the men and women in our Armed Forces helping it stay that way!!!
1971ls6 (12-02-2012)
Old 07-08-2008
Mr. Johnson

Sweet.....Moba colony breeding for you already. I love me some cyphos I tell you! Hope the females hold for you.
Old 07-29-2008
Mcfly

I have the same scenario as JFront. Straight out of the well with now additives. GH 15 KH 15 PH 8.2
50 % once a week. I was doing 30 % but tried 50% and they loved it, so thats what they get for now on.
Old 08-06-2008
Mr. Johnson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mcfly @ Jul 29 2008, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I have the same scenario as JFront. Straight out of the well with now additives. GH 15 KH 15 PH 8.2
50 % once a week. I was doing 30 % but tried 50% and they loved it, so thats what they get for now on.[/b]
50% plus is the way to go. I have friends doing 70-80% and the fish are doing great. They grown even faster than mine.
Old 09-15-2008
Jrbama

Keeping: Duboisi, Moorii Kasanga, Moorii chaitika, Sp. Black Ikola

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Heather @ Jan 9 2008, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Please tell us about your water change routine by voting above, and then tell us what you voted for, and why [/b]

I do weekly water changes, about 30%, and I add amquel / prime, epson salt, and baking soda.

This may be a dumb question, but how do you siphon sand. I have just recently starting using it. Occasionally, I'll disturb the sand with scraper handle to get it mixed up but I have never siphoned it due to all of the sand (I think) being siphoned up. Is there a special way to siphon sand? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2008
Mr. Johnson

A small vinyl hose works well, about the inner diameter of a garden hose. Just hook the hose up to a faucet pump and siphon up the surface detritus. You may siphon a lot of sand the first couple of tries, a little practice is all it takes. Just keep the end of the hose about " away from the sand and quickly siphon up the fish waste.