Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

View Poll Results: Water Changes
Chlorine neutralizer only 149 28.76%
Chlorine neutralizer and buffer 45 8.69%
Chlorine neutralizer and salt 57 11.00%
Chlorine neutralizer and epsom salt 38 7.34%
Chlorine neutralizer, buffer and salt/epsom salt 120 23.17%
Other (please describe below) 109 21.04%
Voters: 518. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2008
24Tropheus

::Profile::

Well I guess its changed a lot over the years.
Bred em fine using untreated tap water 50% per week, pH unmontiored, no buffers, no pre warming, no substrate cleaning, no rock moving, no chlorine/chloramine removal.
These days though I do a lot more.
Sadly not as much as I think would be best for the fish other thing pressing more for my time I guess.
One day hope to have an automatic system so I can spend my time doing things which are a little more fun.
Next set up in fact.
Old 03-28-2008
yanyon

50% weekly water changes with gravel siphoning.
i use one cap full of prime everytime.
Old 03-29-2008
gump

I do 30% weekly wc & I gravel vac every week. I also use the cichlid buffer recipie.
I am on a well with my tap water having a PH of 5.8, with no hardness to speak of.
Essentially I gravel vac into buckets, usually three does my gravel vaccuming. The remaing 20 or so gallons I syphon into the basement set tub with my water hose. Once I syphon out what I want, I hook the hose up & fill the tank. I add my buffers by mixing in a seperate small container, & add it to the flow of the water entering the tank.
Pierre
Old 03-31-2008
Captain Obvious

I usually do 30% weekly, sometimes a bit more often if I have the time.
Don't add anything other than Prime, tap here is around 8.2 so don't mess with it.
Nearly always vacuum the substrate(sand in most of my tanks).
Old 04-04-2008
MarcoITR

Normally I do a Weekly water change about 30-40 % 2 or 3 times a week I sifon dirt from the sand and only use de-chlorator...Mind U, this is how I do it Now with my other Tanganyika's (fronts , comps, ellipsifers and syno's ) But result are great...so I think trophs will do fine just like that...

Grtz Marco
Old 04-06-2008
lynnb

Send a message via AIM to lynnb

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Heather @ Jan 9 2008, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Please tell us about your water change routine by voting above, and then tell us what you voted for, and why [/b]

I voted for the weekly water changes, I vacuum my gravel and replace the water that is syphoned away, which is about 1/3. I add salts to my water, no chlorine stuff because I have a well. I have natural rocks in my tanks, which are limestone which help to make the water harder naturally. I keep many differint kinds of african cichlids and have 3 - 55 gallon tanks, a 30, a 40, and 2 10's and a 25. I have just been getting into the tropheus and have kaisers. These fish are so cute, I think of them as parrots! I've been feeding mine gold fish flake food and spirulia. I haven't had any problems (yet) with bloat, but I have noticed that these little guys like to eat alot and have been curbing this limiting how much I feed them.
Old 04-21-2008
jml512

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DDaquaria @ Jan 9 2008, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I have 4-120 gallon tropheus tanks and 1-70 quarantine tank. The primary tanks usually get a water change every week, but I'm trying to start stretching it to 2 weeks. The typical change is about 40% but sometimes as much as 50 or 60%. I rarely vacuum the sand but I do try to disturb it when filling the tank back up with a hose. Also besides declor (prime), I use a cichlid salt homemade mix that includes Topic Marin, epson salt and baking soda.[/b]
I've been looking at the Tropic Marin lately. Can you tell me the amounts of each that you use? Have you noticed an difference from using this homemade mix?
Old 06-13-2008
flashg

I do a 30-50% weekly water change... I do not add anything to the water (I decided prime or tap conditioners are a waste of money.) On the other hand I do add epsom salt on occation when I notice my fish have really been beating on each other.

<a href="http://aquaticjunkies.com/" target="_blank">
</a>
Old 06-15-2008
kilroy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(flashg @ Jun 14 2008, 04:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I do a 30-50% weekly water change... I do not add anything to the water (I decided prime or tap conditioners are a waste of money.) On the other hand I do add epsom salt on occation when I notice my fish have really been beating on each other.[/b]
I would suggest anyone starting out that is reading this should make inquiries with their local water treatment centre to see just what they add to the water. If it is only chlorine, you can get rid of most of it simply by aerating the water for a couple of days. It they add chloramines, then I would definitely add water conditioners that treat for chloramines because there is a good chance they could kill your fish. A bit of dechlorinator is a small price to pay for peace of mind in my opinion.
Old 06-19-2008
Boby_

I think that sea salt is a very bad idea for African Rift Lake tank and especially for tropheus. All it does is to increase the ammount of sodium iones and to increase the conductivity of the water. This results only in more stress for the fish. No added value. Period.

I add baking soda and magnesium sulphate directly in the tank with every water change - the ammount is not enough to change the GH, KH and pH too fast and is safe for the fish,.