Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 06-08-2010
JkdJedi

::Profile::

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ralph Delafe @ Jun 8 2010, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I like the idea of cultivating it outdoors in a controlled environment like in tubs of water or a pond. This would be the fastest way to do it, every saltwater aquarist knows that nothing grows green algae better than direct sunlight.
As far as parasites and pathogens in the water go; wouldn't soaking the rocks in tap water for 30 min take care of it. Tap water is treated to kill most microorganisms but it shouldn't harm the algae if it is only in for a short period. After the rocks soaked in tap for 30-45 min adding a dechlorinator would remove all the chlorine so it would be safe to add to the aquarium. I would like to try this and see how it works. It may be a new trend "tropheus live rock".
I personally don't like the look of a green algae covered aquarium. I would rather swap out one or two heavily covered rocks than have it cover the aquarium.[/b]
I've taken a empty tank and turned it into a rock garden sort of speak. Just leave the lights on for 10 hours or so a day. Seed it with a rock from an existing tank (or just throw in a teaspoon of Spirulina powder) w/ a little water movement in there and your good to go. When you got a good layer of algae on the rocks just drop, I mean, just lay one in the main tank and watch the show. Salad bar is open!

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/ER047/ItemDetail?n=0
Old 06-09-2010
delafe1

Send a message via AIM to delafe1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JkdJedi @ Jun 8 2010, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ralph Delafe @ Jun 8 2010, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quote:
I like the idea of cultivating it outdoors in a controlled environment like in tubs of water or a pond. This would be the fastest way to do it, every saltwater aquarist knows that nothing grows green algae better than direct sunlight.
As far as parasites and pathogens in the water go; wouldn't soaking the rocks in tap water for 30 min take care of it. Tap water is treated to kill most microorganisms but it shouldn't harm the algae if it is only in for a short period. After the rocks soaked in tap for 30-45 min adding a dechlorinator would remove all the chlorine so it would be safe to add to the aquarium. I would like to try this and see how it works. It may be a new trend "tropheus live rock".
I personally don't like the look of a green algae covered aquarium. I would rather swap out one or two heavily covered rocks than have it cover the aquarium.[/b]
I've taken a empty tank and turned it into a rock garden sort of speak. Just leave the lights on for 10 hours or so a day. Seed it with a rock from an existing tank (or just throw in a teaspoon of Spirulina powder) w/ a little water movement in there and your good to go. When you got a good layer of algae on the rocks just drop, I mean, just lay one in the main tank and watch the show. Salad bar is open!

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/ER047/ItemDetail?n=0
[/b][/quote]
Old 06-09-2010
delafe1

Send a message via AIM to delafe1

Awesome! I'm going to try it.
Old 09-10-2011
JkdJedi

Default Inspired by Pam Chin, NAtural Algae

An algae solution I do on the weekends! I'd do a larger bucket but for 2 tanks this small 10 gallon tank is holding its own.

Old 10-29-2011
#1 Cichlids
Site Advisor

Keeping: Tangs,Malawi,Haps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JkdJedi View Post
An algae solution I do on the weekends! I'd do a larger bucket but for 2 tanks this small 10 gallon tank is holding its own.

wow JkdJedi,nice way of getting alge,im in,ill try it
Old 03-15-2014
jakescichlids

Keeping: F1 Green Muragos, F1 Kiriza, WC Red Rainbows

Found a little read in regards to algae for the aquarium.

http://cichlidworld.net/algae.htm