Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 01-08-2007
Gerry

::Profile::

With all due respect, wouldn't you get tremendous algae growth just leaving your lights on 24/7?
Old 01-08-2007
cowchick

I don't seem to get that good green algae, I get more brown algae and the stuff that is hard on the glass! No fun at all, I'm hoping this might help. If it doesn't I'm switching to the aquarium T8 bulbs and doing the same experiment, and yes I've left lights on 24/7 for a week at a time !
Old 01-09-2007
Pam Chin
Trophs.com Ambassador

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NorthShore @ Jan 8 2007, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
With all due respect, wouldn't you get tremendous algae growth just leaving your lights on 24/7?[/b]
Hi NorthShore,

I just think it makes the algae greener, and lusher and the fish seem to love it more. I don't get this green lush algae when I leave my lights on 24/7 unless I add the spirulina powder, so I am convinced I need it, to get a good green lush algae growing.

Tropheus Power!
Pam
Old 01-09-2007
Heather

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(COWCHICK @ Jan 8 2007, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I don't seem to get that good green algae, I get more brown algae and the stuff that is hard on the glass! No fun at all, I'm hoping this might help. If it doesn't I'm switching to the aquarium T8 bulbs and doing the same experiment, and yes I've left lights on 24/7 for a week at a time ![/b]
Steph gal, I feel for ya! I have the same problem.. brown algae everywhere!!
Have you tested your water for phosphates and nitrates? Both of these can contribute to brown algae growth... my water is high in phosphates straight from the tap!

Pam, thank you for posting this excellent information... I'm going to buy some spirulina powder today!
Old 01-09-2007
Gerry

I have the brown algae on some new limestone in my moops tank. It's not from nitrates but more than likely phosphates from the tap and the tang buffer I use. Nerite snails love the stuff. I've got a few snails I move from tank to tank for that sort of problem.
Old 01-10-2007
fishfreak2407

Well< I went GNC and picked up a bottle of pure hawwain spiralina capsules. I added 1 table spoon to my 100 gall. Man what a pea soup mess , but after watching my fish(and me) freak out for a little while the tank started to clear a little, I was really tempted to do a partiall water change, but after a little bit it started to look a little better after the filters started to do their thing, soooo after all that we will wait and see if the algae kicks in?I run my lights for 12 hrs on a timer.
should I dose again, I think I will pre mix and do smaller amounts at a time so its not such a huge green mess.

Pam,do you just add it like I did, or is there a method to the maddnes

thnx Fishfreak2407
Old 01-10-2007
cowchick

I was wondering the same thing but I'm patiently awaiting!

I've never tested for phosphates, I'm assuming they must be high, but no clue!
Old 01-11-2007
Pam Chin
Trophs.com Ambassador

Fishfreak,

Yes, there is a bit of a pea soup going on! And it floats on the top of the water, but as it sink down and mixes in with your water, some of it is sticking to the back of your tank and on your rocks etc. I have capsules right now, so I am just opening these up and pouring them in to the tank. If I had loose powder I would do just like you have.

Yes, if you want to get it going good and faster then the fish can eat it, then you need to continue adding it. I am leaving my lights on 24/7 to get it going then back to a more reasonable lenth of time.
Old 01-27-2007
Heather

Thumbs up

So, those of you who have decided to try this..... any update? How's it going?
Old 01-27-2007
fishfreak2407

well I dosed it one more time and each time I do the trophs get all freaked out.so for the time being Im going to leave it alone ,plus I cant leave the light on 24/7 because the tanks in my bedroom and I think it would stress them out, and being that they are young Im just trying to get them stable . But in the future i might try it again?....... anyone else have any feedback??