Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 09-08-2015
Mantvis

::Profile::
Default Have I failed as a Tropheus keeper? (with pictures)

I have got my Tropheus Ikola on 2013.01 and to this day, they are still not full grown. They have reached about 11cm (4,5") if measured from head to tail.

80 gal tank (288ltr)
Eheim 1500XL filter.
Temperature at about 26-27C

Feeding spirulina based food (36-38% spirulina, min. 40% protein)

Will they still grow? or did I do something wrong?

I am that desperate, because my friend kept Tropheus Duboisi which he acquired at the same time I did and his reached full size about 18 months after. And he kept them in a 50 gal tank. Sad thing is they all died due to bloat.

We fed them same food. We changed water at the same interval, we used same water.

I kept them since they were babies after just loosing their sac. At the beginning I fed them cyclops.

Here is few most recent photos:

Dominant male:

Tank overview:
Old 09-08-2015
dannyt

Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

You passed with flying colors. Your ikola look great. They are approaching max size and therefore the rate of growth slows down considerably. Duboisi grow bigger than Moorii variants. Keep doing what you're doing. Your tank & fish look great
The Following User Says Thank You to dannyt For This Useful Post:
Mantvis (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015
Mantvis

Does Moorii variants reach the maximum of 6" or they grow smaller? When should they reach full size?

They are all F2. If that makes any difference.

I think I have about 5-6 males and the rest are females, but I am not really sure. This is by looking at who was the whitest lips from fighting.
Old 09-08-2015
Mastiffman

Hey there,

I definitely think that they look good. Although they would display a bit brighter in a brighter tank. Something along the lines of a blue background and brighter rockwork.

But other than that, condition wise they look good. You are doing a great job so far and the adult tends to slow down around the size that yours are now. Their growth becomes less noticeable when they are approaching their full size. I wouldn't worry about it all.

I myself have not seen Tropheus bigger than what I have here at my place which coincidently are Ikola. I have some females that are easily 5.5"... I have heard of people making the claim of 6"+ on some Tropheus. But not all people are completely familiar with accurate sizing without a tape measure and I believe that this is the source of most of the stories heard with "Monstor Tropheus"...
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
Mantvis (09-09-2015)
Old 09-08-2015
baby puffer

Keeping: Cyprichromis, Paracyps, Electric Yellows, Guppies, Tropheus Mpulungu, cyp kigoma

WOW! Amazing fish! I dont know alot about tropheus yet, but if mine grow to be like that i would be very happy. And your photo is excellent!!!!
Mantvis (09-09-2015)
Old 09-14-2015
CCT

Keeping: Red Rainbow, Polli, Ikola, Moliro, Chimba, Canary Cheek, Red Cheek, Duboisi

Although i cant see the picture but as a fellow trophs keeper as long as they are healthy size really doesn't matter.