Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 08-30-2015
rufretic

::Profile::
Keeping: Kasanga, Maswa, Ulwile, Bulu point, Moops, Nkonde, Lufubu, Pemba
Default What's the best way to prep a running tank that had sickness for new fish.

I have a 125 mixed mbuna tank that I lost about half the fish to some kind of sickness or possibly aggression. I've been treating the tank with metro for a few days but still have some that look like they are not going to make it. I've decided to separate the survivors into species only tanks and turn this tank into a community tang tank.

After the fish are removed, is there any way to make sure the tank is healthy and ready for new fish without killing the cycle and starting over? My water has tested perfect for the last year so it has a nice strong cycle and I'd hate to have to start over.

My normal practice for changing fish is to do a huge water change, ~90%, and clean out the canisters then just add the new fish in a day or two. Knowing there was something going on in this tank, I'm not confident that would be enough. Is there any treatment I could run through the system before adding the fish? I do have a few plecos and synos that I plan to keep in there so the treatment cant be too harsh.

Or is there a certain time frame to let the tank just run and balance on its own? The bottom feeders would keep the cycle strong if I decide to just let the tank run for a while. Those and a few species of mbuna were completely unaffected by whatever killed the other fish so I'm not even sure if the new tangs could get it, to be honest it could even be aggression related, I've just never seen so many fish wiped out so fast from aggression. I suspect something bacterial so now I'm just paranoid about losing a bunch of nice new fish.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-30-2015
dannyt

Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

Can you you tell us what the visible symptoms of the dead fish were? Any lifting of scales, bulging eyes, white filmy coat, swollen abdomen??
When considering a treatment plan it would help to get some kind of idea whether it was an internal or external problem (if not aggression related). Malawi's are susceptible to bloat just the same as tangs...in fact when I first kept cichlids in the early 80's it was called "Malawi Bloat"...it's always a challenge when the existing water parameters are all normal for a cycled tank...
Old 08-30-2015
rufretic

Yep, that's exactly why I didn't want to say bloat, the signs just were not there but there were actually a lot of different symptoms so very confusing. It all started when I added a group of demasoni. One by one they died and I just put it off to aggression but then others started dying. Most fish showed no symptems, just started hiding or laying on the bottom. One of the groups got very anorexic looking and died one by one like that. none of the others looked like this. Only other symptom is on the last surviving demasoni and he has bulging eyes, he didnt have it when he was killing the rest, he just developed it in the last day. This is what made me suspect bacteria. I think the problem started with aggression and then with stressed fish, rotting fish that I didn't find quick enough, and then the bad bacteria spiraled out of control :-(
Old 08-30-2015
Mastiffman

You could hit the tank with Parasite Guard or Nitrofuracin Green. Parasite Guard is easier to attain and is a bit less expensive though.
Old 08-31-2015
rufretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
You could hit the tank with Parasite Guard or Nitrofuracin Green. Parasite Guard is easier to attain and is a bit less expensive though.
Thanks. Does the parasite guard help with the bad bacteria or is it just to knock out any bugs that may have possibly been the cause of the problem? I've never had to treat for parasites before, I've only dealt with bloat and possibly other bacteria issues but metroplex has always cleared up my issues.
Old 08-31-2015
Mastiffman

Parasite Guard has Acriflavinium in it which is an antiseptic. But it also has Praziquantel (Worms), Dflubenzuron (insecticide) and Metronidazole (Anti-bacterial/ Anti-protozoan).

Nitrofuracin Green has Nitrofurazone (anti-bacterial Gm+/-), Sulfathizole Sodium (Topical Anti-microbial), Methylene Blue (anti-fungal) and Sodium Chloride (salt)

Bi-Furin is Nitrofurazone (80%) and Furazolidone (Gm+/- antibacterial and anti sporozoan) and together they have a synergistic effect as well. It creates a bacteriostatic, bacteriocidal and antimicrobial effect useful for bacterial and sporozoan diseases.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
rufretic (09-08-2015)