Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 07-03-2015
dannyt

::Profile::
Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

Greg I tend to agree with Andrew's hypothesis re tap water. I did a routine wc on Tuesday. Same as always. 20 mins later my fish were listless and gasping on the bottom. Same thing happened last year after the city of Toledo started messing with the water supply after the water crisis last year. I needed to use 5 times the regular dose of Prime to ensure adequate dechlorination.

Funny thing with my fish (Malawi's atm) was that the acei were hit hardest, the peacocks & EB were bad but not as bad as the acei, and my blue dolphins didn't seem affected at all. It seems the different species have different tolerances to impurities in the water. Perhaps your Polli have a higher tolerance to whatever caused the crisis.

When I noticed my fish were struggling I dosedthe extra 4 doses of Prime immediately. I also threw a big bag of fresh charcoal in my sump and 30 mins later everything was fine again.

Andrew also wisely suggest running my town water though an inline charcoal filter when doing top ups or wc's. I will adopt that strategy as I am going to be stocking F1 Mups here in the next month or so and need to ensure there safety from Toledo's crap water.

All that to say is maybe it was a water issue...does your city get its water from Lake Erie like ours? Perhaps your city changed there water treatment regime? How quickly did the onset of sickness occur?

Cheers mate,

Danny