Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 04-23-2016
rufretic

::Profile::
Keeping: Kasanga, Maswa, Ulwile, Bulu point, Moops, Nkonde, Lufubu, Pemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirtypack View Post
Well it was from the same batch of fry, very similar in size. Still had egg sacks so im curious about hunger. Ive read a couple of posts from others saying they up the air flow and bounce them a little more vigorously so that they really are never still enough to damage each other. With so little fry being produced, every one counts, as im trying to increase my colony a bit, hopefully they wont be killed at introduction to the main tank? Thanks for your replies
I've had 100% success rate with introduction to the main tank at 1". Just make sure to wait until they are an inch. This is the perfect size in my opinion, too small to be comporition and too large to be a food source. Ice had them hop out of my breeder box at a smaller size and been fine but I've also had some eaten that were too small. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2016
JkdJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirtypack View Post
So I lost two fry in the tumbler today still have egg sacs. It looked like the 3 live one's were picking at the other two? Are they already showing aggression at this size? Moved three survivors to a grow out, but not sure why the other two died? Hopefully they make it. I wasn't prepared. Thought I had another week before I needed to move them. Is this common?
That'll happen, keep the air movement on the low side. how early or late do you go before stripping the fry? I find that the later side of pulling tends to have a higher survival rate, talking 2 weeks after i notice the female holding at the latest, week and a half the earliest.
Old 04-27-2016
pkut

Please make sure to use a Cobalt Aquatics Egg Rocker tumbler. It has a radius d'/contoured bottom area and works MUCH better than any other tumbler I have ever used. You can purchase it for about $35 and believe me, it's a bargain!.
I can strip any of my adult tropheus, if I choose to at two weeks holding and successfully tumble their eggs in this tumbler until the fry's eggs sacks are gone. It has proven to work MUCH better than any other tumbler and I've used them ALL. I hope this helps fellow tropheus keepers in their breeding endeavors.
Old 04-27-2016
pkut

I'm sorry, I forgot to address air flow. I have seen many articles saying not to bounce them too hard. I find that aggressive egg movement seems to work the best. I have lost partially developed eggs by not moving them enough. So much for other people telling me not to bounce them too hard!
Old 05-17-2016
Johannes

They can eat with some remains of egg sac left.
usually 21 days post fertilization no need to tumble already