Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

View Poll Results: What decor have you had the most success with in fry release tank setups?
Tanks with specific rock formations for protecting fry. 8 61.54%
Tanks with specific plant formations for protecting fry. 0 0%
Tanks with specific rock and plant formations for protecting fry. 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2015
Mastiffman

::Profile::
Default What is the best tank setup for released Fry Rearing. [Member Contributed]

Hey everyone.

I wanted to start a thread in the hopes that we can make this one a future sticky in the Breeding Section for those that want to allow fry to be released into the tank and grown out successfully with larger yields than one or two fry every few months. . Since this has been a popular topic touched on many times over the years and I'm sure it will continue to be brought up... We may as well get one going....

Anyone and everyone that has had success or not should definitely try to chime in and share your experiences either way. Might end up being a pretty nice amount of collected knowledge for all to gain from.

Pictures and video are welcome for sure!

I myself have only seen a few fry survive within the parent colonies environment. Of course, each time it always seemed to be in a heavily protected area but occasionally there were some just simply hiding under a rock.

What have you seen the most success with Rock Piles or Plants and why?

Last edited by Mastiffman; 03-04-2015 at 02:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
JimA (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015
emeraldtroph

Keeping: Kapampa and Lufubu currently, have kept Ikola and Bulu Point

In the parents tank I've seen the fry survival rate be zero, and I've seen it be 3-4 fry hiding under rocks in different parts of the tank. I think you need a Pam Chin castle....seriously. However, the fry that survived in the parents tank eventually became ultra confident, just greater vitality than my other-tank raised fry. Tumbling, and release into their own tank has been my only bigger-numbers success.
The Following User Says Thank You to emeraldtroph For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (03-07-2015)
Old 03-05-2015
Mastiffman

I'm think that something like this might be a good choice for a fry release tank setup...

Old 03-05-2015
Mastiffman

Anyone have any video or photos of the fry release tank setups that work well?
Old 03-06-2015
JimA

Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

I ended up letting the 7 fry I had in the breeder net go last night while the lights were off, this morning I looked and saw 3 which is a good sign. I didn't have much time to look around for the others and I just got home 9pm and the lights are off. Will look and see if I can find the others in the AM. I am pretty sure one of the smaller fry won't make it, he had a nip in his back from one of the other fry, and his back end was turning black. Jeez they are maybe an inch long if that and picking on the smallest one he was maybe a half inch. Never know though.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimA For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (03-07-2015)
Old 03-06-2015
mrbartman3

Keeping: bulu points,red moliro,lufubu,chaitika,calvuswightchaitika,gold muzi,front kigomas
Cool

I have had some Sussexes with this and I really like look of the tank.the first time was with a group kirnza kisers in a 125 6 ft tank.had rocks from one end to the outher two to three high with lots of places to hide I would get groups of babies swimming in schools in and out of the rocks that were tight to the gravel neat seeing fish from 1/4 to 4'" sharing the same tank. the second time is with my cherry spots started with 16 fish and now im up to around 50 fish and growing all the time,the same set up. but this does not always work. could not get my ilangi to breed with that set up had to strip them if I wanted fry. the grass worked great for my blue flash floating on the top but could work fine for trophs will look for pic when I get back to my home puter good luck it is a realy nice look
Old 03-06-2015
ZeeZee

I currently have one fry in from my tank . I actually purchased some low artificial plants, but it was a waste of money. The little guy likes hiding in the small holes of dead coral rock.

Last edited by ZeeZee; 03-06-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-06-2015
ExReefer

I have seen a local tank filled with Texas holey rock. This tank had multiple generations of Ikola all originating from the wild caught colony. The fry hide in the holes within the rock quite well.
The Following User Says Thank You to ExReefer For This Useful Post:
JkdJedi (03-08-2015)
Old 03-07-2015
dannyt

Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

I bought Pemba from a local breeder in Australia when I lived there. He had 40-50 adults in a 180 with a very dense pile of holey rock at each end and the rest of the tank open water. Every 4-6 months he would drain the tank 50% remove the rocks and net out his offspring...usually 60-80...this number would presume reasonable loss from a large colony that is female heavy...but that is how he did it =)
I have always stripped my girls between day 21-25 to maximize numbers
The Following User Says Thank You to dannyt For This Useful Post:
JkdJedi (03-08-2015)
Old 03-07-2015
JimA

Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

So far I have seen 4 of the 7 fry in the tank with the larger ones not paying any attention to them. The ones that do chase them are the smaller to mid size guys, but more or less just get out of my space thing. I think the biggest thing with moms spitting in the tank is where and whens she does it. If done at night I am sure the survival rate would be higher. If daytime with lights on, it would be less. Again depending on where in the tank she does it. If in an open space probably not much chance if others are around. If down by a group of rocks the odds of fry survival would go up. One would think the fry would naturally hide around rocks or say the low or high planted area. But I have 1 hiding up in a corner behind the filter at water level. One in hanging out in a corner midway up with no cover and the others are in two different rock groups.

Least that's my theory for now..

Gotta add I am a bit disappointed. I think this is a great thread and could be very informative, it's too bad "more" here don't participate. Plenty of views at 306 now, but only ten 10 replies and only 7 votes. Pretty sad really!

Thanks though Andrew for trying to get something going..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimA For This Useful Post:
dannyt (03-07-2015), Mastiffman (03-07-2015)