Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

View Poll Results: Is it worth stripping eggs from females?
Yes, strip the eggs 24 48.98%
No, let her hold until she spits 25 51.02%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2012
Dagamoth

::Profile::
Keeping: Chimba Red, Dub Maswa
Default To strip or not to strip, that is the question

I'm just curious as to how many people strip their trophs. Personally I let mine hold and spit in the tank. I have lots of texas holey rock in the tank (small / large holes) so there are plenty of places for the fry to hide and I don't believe I have lost any fry in my starting to mature chimba red group (only 2 spawns so far, 4 and 3).

Guessing I really am wondering as to peoples opinions on if it's worth it for the female to be stripped and then back in group able to feed asap.
Old 12-04-2012
kyfront33

Keeping: More then I should be

Imo, with no evidence to prove it, i believe stripping the fish hurts the Ability of the fish to hold to full term in the future, the person i bought my fish from stripped the large female i have 2 times for 19 fry. After i got her to spawn and hold i was satisfied id let her spit in tank, i got a whopping 1 fry, so either others were eaten, she swallowed them, or that was the only fertile egg. This has been my only expierence with Stripping. I know she had a mouthfull beacause i could see her tumbling them. So i think she lost the ability atleast temporarly to hold full term, she as well as 3 others are holding again as i type, im faced with same problem you are, i do beleive ill let them spit!
Old 12-04-2012
gw12269

Keeping: Polli, Murago, Lufubu

I was stripping mine at 28 days. I never tumbled eggs. I had a hard time getting rid of the fry, so now I just let them spit in the tank and whatever survives, survives.
Follow me on twitter @buckslayerwells
Old 12-04-2012
moganman

I believe it all depends on the desire and situation of the donor. If you have a small group of fish (less than 15) and the fish is rare and you want to grow the colony to a larger number, then stripping will benefit the owner if done right. If you don't really care to grow the colony and don't care to sell lots of fry then letting them spit is the way to go. I read an article where in the wild the mothers were such good mothers that they would hold the fry for up to 6 weeks and die after they spat because of the lack of nutrition. Allowing fish to hold full term does take a toll on the fish and they need time to recoup. It's all a personal preference, but the natural way is to let them spit.
Old 12-04-2012
TrophAddict

Keeping: WC Chaitika, WC Nkonde, WC Moba II

strip my trophs all the time and they have never held any less the next month or so. They do need to recoup afterwards though.
Old 12-04-2012
SunnyHouTX

There's intermediate stages between the two options you listed. I usually strip at 18 - 21 days based on how momma is behaving (if she's acting stressed out she's ready to spit) and then strip fry. I know of others who strip anywhere in between the options in the poll and have great success. Personal preference really.
Old 12-05-2012
Dagamoth

Keeping: Chimba Red, Dub Maswa

Seems like a lot of you guys strip pretty consistently, what is the best method to strip the females? I'm used to stripping peacocks and mbuna but the mouth structure on the tropheus seems like it would make stripping more difficult. Is there a best method out there?
Old 12-05-2012
SunnyHouTX

I use a toothpick to gently pry and hold open the mommas mouth and hold here head under water while the fry swim out.
Old 12-05-2012
moganman

I use the same method as Sunny but I use something like a bobby pin or hair pin because it has a soft tip.
Old 12-05-2012
cu0ngsayz

I just use a paper clip. Undo the paper clip til there's only one bend left using that bend of the paper clip it's easier to hold the mouth open.