Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

View Poll Results: If given a budget, would you start a colony of Tropheus with Wild Caughts or Frys?
Wild Caught 30 55.56%
Frys 24 44.44%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2012
electriceelcat
Site Advisor

::Profile::
Keeping: Wild caught chipmunks & wild Nkonde
Send a message via AIM to electriceelcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by moganman View Post
For genetic diversity to become a problem, the fry of the fry of the fry would have to breed and have fry. Talking about F5, F6, etc. Each Wild caught fish most likely has a different DNA composition and the fry (F1) will be very diverse.
From what I have heard this it very true.
Old 09-09-2012
swk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtroph View Post
And I can sell the WC group as well easier with I am bored with them, probably at the same price I bought them for.
Have you ever resold a WC group? I've never gotten as much as I've paid for WC fish. IME, the market just does not work that way
Old 09-09-2012
kingtroph

I bought 18 red rainbows for $428. Lost one in the first days. Kept them for a little over 1 yr then sold them for $400. I was the first hand owner so I paid a premium for these guys from an importer. Buying for a hobbyist I usually pay less than from an importer. Tropheus live a long time as long as you wait for the right group you'll not see your WC group losing value that much.
Old 09-11-2012
gernot

Quote:
Originally Posted by moganman View Post
For genetic diversity to become a problem, the fry of the fry of the fry would have to breed and have fry. Talking about F5, F6, etc. Each Wild caught fish most likely has a different DNA composition and the fry (F1) will be very diverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriceelcat View Post
From what I have heard this it very true.
yep, me too.

And there's a potential risk in the aim for genetic diversity espcl beginners should be made aware of. Imagine you have a group of perfect Ilangi Yellow WC (which you donư find often these days). You can't go out and just buy 15 more Ilangis from another source. You may get the more redish/orange version of the Ilangi and all of the sudden the strain of your perfect Ilangis is watered. The same goes for many other variants like Moliro vs Chipimbi, Lufubu vs Chaitika, Nkonde vs Linangu etc...Are we really able to always tell the difference? An experienced fellow hobbyist had some amazing WC Nkonde Yellow and he never would have added fish from another Nkonde group to them.
Old 09-11-2012
Pam Chin
Trophs.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by gernot View Post
yep, me too.

And there's a potential risk in the aim for genetic diversity espcl beginners should be made aware of. Imagine you have a group of perfect Ilangi Yellow WC (which you donư find often these days). You can't go out and just buy 15 more Ilangis from another source. You may get the more redish/orange version of the Ilangi and all of the sudden the strain of your perfect Ilangis is watered. The same goes for many other variants like Moliro vs Chipimbi, Lufubu vs Chaitika, Nkonde vs Linangu etc...Are we really able to always tell the difference? An experienced fellow hobbyist had some amazing WC Nkonde Yellow and he never would have added fish from another Nkonde group to them.
This is a very good point, and I totally agree! There is a lot of variation out there.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Old 09-12-2012
moganman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtroph View Post
A lot of people want F1 for whatever reason this is why I prefer WC. Much easier to sell the fry. It just the way it is. I want to be able to sell my fry easily and make a few bucks to supplement the hobby and also I enjoy the business aspect of it as well. And I can sell the WC group as well easier with I am bored with them, probably at the same price I bought them for.

It's a gamble with WC though especially these just come into the country. For common species I don't recommend this route. Some many never make it to tank life.
I used to be that way, but if it's a fish I like, doesn't matter if it's WC or not.
Old 09-13-2012
Darth Coqui

Keeping: Petros & Trophs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dww-law View Post
I have WC colonies of Tropheus, Petrochromis and Moba Gibberosa. I keep these in show tanks but they breed for me also. My hobby is fish breeding as well as fish keeping. I also have F1 Petrochromis that I breed. However, I have selected F1's from different sources so the males come from a different genetic strain than the females. This ensures genetic diversity in the fish keeping hobby.

The problem I see with a lot of people in the hobby who only keep F1's is they allow multiple generations of the same family to breed. They then sell the fry as something its not. I think as hobbiest, we have an obligation to maximize the genetic diversity in our tanks to ensure the successful genetic survival of the species we keep. This can be done by getting f1's from multiple sources or buying a mix of WC and F1's. I have taken this approach with my Petrochromis Red Bulus. As of today I have 21. My males (3) are WC show specimens. I have (4) WC females. My other 14 females are F1's that I raised from 1.5 inch fry. The females came from 4 different unrelated sources. I have sold off 10 F1 males to ensure brother and sister never breed.

So what I would recommend to you is to slowly accumulate both WC and F1's. People will sell you extra WC males for dirt cheap. Then buy f1's and raised them up until you can weed out the males. This takes a lot of patience but well worth the reward.

Well said. Such an underrated post.
It is the culling of 3, 4, etc.. generations down.

I personally / typically trade TR (F1, F2 its all TR) with another hobbyist to get different lines of the same variant.
I will trade / experiment with my TR stock with a pond raised (know someone who has a pond and typ. throws in his WC and their frys in there) fish of the same variant.
Maybe the sun and close to their natural environment may have something to do with the generations looking, acting closely to their wild parents.

Frankie
Old 09-18-2012
new2troph

Keeping: Tropheus, petrochromis, peacocks & haps.

I am a Fri guy, I enjoy wacting the fri grow into what they will be and then sell them to LFS. I never shipped or tryed to do a private sell. Just what works for me.
90g
Assorted Male Malawi Chiclids
125g
Sp Moshi Mahale
Sp nkonde Fasciolatus Yellow
Sp blue giant petrochromis
Old 09-19-2012
raemaruk

Keeping: Tropheus Murago, Ilangi & Petrochromis Red Bulu Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYC View Post
If you had a budget of $300-$400, would you start a colony of tropheus with Wild Caughts or F-1 frys & why?

I know, everyone will have their preferences & their own styles of starting one, but was wondering what your thoughts or "philosophies" are on how to start one.

I'm open to the wisdom of all your experiences. Thank you in advance.
Great question!

A few years ago, I might have said go with the fry, as you get more fish for the money...But, as an example, this year(April) I bought about 12 adult Murago and from just 3 or 4 females in the group which have bred a few times each, I now have 60 plus fry.

If you're not in a rush and are happy to watch them grow to maturity without the hassle of having to tend to young/fry etc,,,then go with the fry.

If you want the best of both worlds,then go with an adult group.
The Following User Says Thank You to raemaruk For This Useful Post:
jollycichlids (09-19-2012)
Old 09-22-2012
gernot

Quote:
Originally Posted by raemaruk View Post
If you're not in a rush and...
not desperate to make quick money

Quote:
Originally Posted by raemaruk View Post
without the hassle of having to tend to young/fry etc...
you put them in the tank and start feeding, or? where's the hassle?