Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

View Poll Results: If given a budget, would you start a colony of Tropheus with Wild Caughts or Frys?
Wild Caught 30 55.56%
Frys 24 44.44%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2012
electriceelcat
Site Advisor

::Profile::
Keeping: Wild caught chipmunks & wild Nkonde
Send a message via AIM to electriceelcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Chin View Post
I don't think there is anything more fun the raising up a young group of Tropheus! I would take fry over wild any day of the week!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
I agree Pam. Still loving my tank raised bemba and I am truly in no hurry for them to grow up every stage is something new from color to personality!
Old 09-08-2012
moganman

Growing fish from fry to adults causes an attachment with me and my fish. It's a beautiful thing.
Old 09-08-2012
pinoy

Keeping: cherry spot,duboisi,mpulungu,Ikola

here's a good example my friend. check this link.
http://trophs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23212

if you look on the date he started this thread and he said he got them 5 months ago.(almost a year now total) hope he got some update soon.

(210g) 7ft long
(240g) 8ft long

Check out my tanks and stand build.
HERE...
Old 09-08-2012
JkdJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYC View Post
If you had a budget of $300-$400, would you start a colony of tropheus with Wild Caughts or F-1 frys & why?

I know, everyone will have their preferences & their own styles of starting one, but was wondering what your thoughts or "philosophies" are on how to start one.

I'm open to the wisdom of all your experiences. Thank you in advance.
If I had the dough I'd go WILD, instant SATISFACTION and then to watch them breed up and have young possibly within the week or two...how can you beat that! Your selling fry within 6months and already getting some cash back. WILD FTW! (If I had the DOugh)
Old 09-08-2012
MYC

Keeping: Nkonde, Illangi, Lufubu, RR,

So far, there has been an overwhelming number of votes for frys from many experienced hobbyists here, & just a small handful for WC.

If this is so, then are the rookies & novices buying the WC? Who are buying the WC?

If so, then the rookies & novices are gambling with some expensive fish, aren't they?

Any thoughts on this? I, myself love the colorful specimens of the WC, but I might be leaning the other way since this discussion.

I think, this is a fascinating discussion. Thanks to all who have been participating. I'm actually learning a lot!!!

***We need some more opinions from the WC side****
Old 09-08-2012
swk

Some enjoy the challenge of keeping and breeding WC fish, which I can totally understand. I keep WC fish too.

Some think of WC fish as a status symbol. A "mine is bigger than yours" kinda deal. I find that way of thinking to be completely asinine. Someones tag on a different forum reads, "if it aint wild caught, you aint doing it right" Um, yeah....ok.....

As far as color, there is no difference. Since f1 fish are born into glass boxes, I find them to be more comfortable and show better colors quicker. Take foai, for example.

Bottom line is there's no right or wrong way of going here. If you go WC, make sure it's for the right reasons and treat them with the respect they deserve. This fish was yanked from its home for your enjoyment. Make sure you give it the care it deserves.
Old 09-08-2012
dww-law

I have WC colonies of Tropheus, Petrochromis and Moba Gibberosa. I keep these in show tanks but they breed for me also. My hobby is fish breeding as well as fish keeping. I also have F1 Petrochromis that I breed. However, I have selected F1's from different sources so the males come from a different genetic strain than the females. This ensures genetic diversity in the fish keeping hobby.

The problem I see with a lot of people in the hobby who only keep F1's is they allow multiple generations of the same family to breed. They then sell the fry as something its not. I think as hobbiest, we have an obligation to maximize the genetic diversity in our tanks to ensure the successful genetic survival of the species we keep. This can be done by getting f1's from multiple sources or buying a mix of WC and F1's. I have taken this approach with my Petrochromis Red Bulus. As of today I have 21. My males (3) are WC show specimens. I have (4) WC females. My other 14 females are F1's that I raised from 1.5 inch fry. The females came from 4 different unrelated sources. I have sold off 10 F1 males to ensure brother and sister never breed.

So what I would recommend to you is to slowly accumulate both WC and F1's. People will sell you extra WC males for dirt cheap. Then buy f1's and raised them up until you can weed out the males. This takes a lot of patience but well worth the reward.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dww-law For This Useful Post:
dahling (09-09-2012), Jimm (09-14-2012), JkdJedi (09-08-2012), jollycichlids (09-08-2012), MYC (09-08-2012), pinoy (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012
pinoy

Keeping: cherry spot,duboisi,mpulungu,Ikola

Quote:
Originally Posted by dww-law View Post
The problem I see with a lot of people in the hobby who only keep F1's is they allow multiple generations of the same family to breed. They then sell the fry as something its not. I think as hobbiest, we have an obligation to maximize the genetic diversity in our tanks to ensure the successful genetic survival of the species we keep.
Thank you Sir.
very well said.

(210g) 7ft long
(240g) 8ft long

Check out my tanks and stand build.
HERE...
Old 09-08-2012
Pam Chin
Trophs.com Ambassador

The problem I see with a lot of people in the hobby who only keep F1's is they allow multiple generations of the same family to breed. They then sell the fry as something its not. I think as hobbiest, we have an obligation to maximize the genetic diversity in our tanks to ensure the successful genetic survival of the species we keep.

Mouthbrooders are so genetically diverse that keeping a group going for years and years doesn't hinder the quality of the fish. Labidochromis caeruleus is the classic example. As long as you are breeding good stock to good stock their shouldn't be any issues. Responsible hobbyists have proven this for years. Its usually us that screw it up, by not breeding in species only tanks, feeding in sufficient foods to fry and poor water conditions. And then we blame it on genetics.

I agree these fish should be listed as TR - Tank Raised

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Old 09-08-2012
jollycichlids

I see poor genetic diversity a lot around these parts and it saddens me. I believe there is quite a few individuals out there that will sacrifice superior specimens for cheap fish. I personally only buy wild caught this ensures me that i am getting the real deal. Normally the fish breed in 3months or less and then i have fry to grow up as well to see the progression. This is a hobby but to some of us its a way of life and sometimes you have to pay to play so to speak. I bring in wilds so that i can breed the fish and others can enjoy some of the different species from lake tanganyika.
tanganicodus irascae kigoma
tropheus brichardi Ulwile
tropheus brichardi yungu
lamprologus callipterus kipili
altolamprologus comp sibwesa