Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 01-07-2016
rstephenson

::Profile::
Default how old to breed ?

At what age do tropheus start breeding ?

And a side question. I have 20 trophs in a 210g tank. Is there a "maximum" amount of males I should have or just let nature work itself out ?
Old 01-08-2016
jucaben

Keeping: Moliro,F1 Chaitika,F1 Kalambo, F1 Ikola, F1 Bulu Point

You have to look really hard because it usually happens right after puberty........

Sorry, just couldn't help myself. I don't know about "age" but in my experience I have noticed breeding at about 2 1/2" but it usually isn't very productive. I have seen them going through the motions at 2" but no eggs. At 2 1/2" I have had the females hold but no fish in the end. I guess it depends on a lot of different factors for there to be productive breeding. In regards to the 20 troph in a 210 gal question, first of all are they the only fish in there? A 210 gal is quite large for only 20 troph, I have 40+ moliro's in a 125 and they are doing great and breed. I have never vented the group but there are quite a few males in there perhaps maybe a 1:1 ratio which is not great. I have heard that 3 or 4 females to every male is very good, so if you were to keep 20 total a 1:3 ratio is 5 males and 15 females. Just curious as to what variant you are keeping and if you are planning to add more? Hopefully this answers some of your questions.
Old 01-10-2016
ms1tx

Keeping: Kalemie,Bulu Point,Lueba,Kasanga

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstephenson View Post

And a side question. I have 20 trophs in a 210g tank. Is there a "maximum" amount of males I should have or just let nature work itself out ?
My group of tropheus fry i purchased back in march 2014 are just now starting to hold longer than a couple of days and they're probably in the 3-3 1/2 inch range. They stared breeding activity probably 6 months ago but the females never held full term. If i had to guess I'd say 18 months or when they're at least 3 inches.
Old 01-10-2016
dhavalsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms1tx View Post
My group of tropheus fry i purchased back in march 2014 are just now starting to hold longer than a couple of days and they're probably in the 3-3 1/2 inch range. They stared breeding activity probably 6 months ago but the females never held full term. If i had to guess I'd say 18 months or when they're at least 3 inches.
When you say 3 inches, is this tip to tip?

I have a group which I have had for 4 months (purchased them at 1 inch)..so total age should be max 6 months...they are at 3 inch(some even bigger)...should I expect some breeding activity or they are just growing quickly and will take few more months to breed?

I see lot of dancing but I am not sure if the males are fighting or they are doing the whole breeding ritual...have not noticed the whole T position yet...
Old 01-10-2016
ms1tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstephenson View Post

And for ratio i think it matters less with larger groups as far as dealing with aggression. But for breeding purposes more times than not you're probably going to have more success with less males than females.
Old 01-11-2016
ms1tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhavalsp View Post
When you say 3 inches, is this tip to tip?

I have a group which I have had for 4 months (purchased them at 1 inch)..so total age should be max 6 months...they are at 3 inch(some even bigger)...should I expect some breeding activity or they are just growing quickly and will take few more months to breed?

I see lot of dancing but I am not sure if the males are fighting or they are doing the whole breeding ritual...have not noticed the whole T position yet...
3 inch body (not including tailfin). Probably be a little while before you see a female produce eggs. But thats a pretty good growth rate. As far as the fighting they're probably just establishing a pecking order.
Old 01-11-2016
dhavalsp

yeah, my tropheus are 3 inch- tip to tip...so they need to grow a little more...have seen good results with water changes...I come from the world of discus, so that helps.
Old 03-07-2016
rstephenson

Thanks for all the replies ! Sorry, I got side tracked remodeling a kitchen.

I got them as fry last July. They dance but I'm not sure if they are "practicing" or if it's males doing their thing.

I only have about 20 trophs and 5 calvus in there now. I'm hoping that the trophs will populate the tank a bit. ( I know I'll have to intervene a little with the Calvus in there)

They are Red Rainbow Kasanga
Old 03-13-2016
rufretic

Keeping: Kasanga, Maswa, Ulwile, Bulu point, Moops, Nkonde, Lufubu, Pemba

Out of all of the 12 colonies I've had, my kasangas took the longest to be consistent. Mine seem to breed earlier than most, 6 months is when they usually start spawning but usually don't hold to full term until a year or so and 2-3" total length. I've had some surprisingly small females produce fry. The kasangas however are just now at 2 years producing fry regularly. They started spawning about a year ago but never held long enough to get fry until a few months ago and just a few fry at a time. Some of the females are more consistent now with 5-8 fry at a time. I now have multiple females holding at a time but still about half the females will swallow the eggs. I guess you just have to be patient with these guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:
rstephenson (03-13-2016)