Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 09-27-2015
rstephenson

::Profile::
Default another sump pump thread (sorry)

Not sure where to start so I apologize if I ramble

Just set up a 210g with built in overflown. 2 drains and 2 returns. Each return has 2 outlets.

I would rather not put anything in the tank to create more current. (Sorry but I like the "clean" look)

I currently have a Danner Mag pump. I can not remember the model and the label is gone ! It seemed ok when it was on a smaller tank. NOW it seems to be somewhat underpowered. This tank is larger and has at least an extra foot in height.

SO,,,
What GPH pump would you recommend ?
Make/model ?
Should I stay with a submersible pump or switch to an external pump ?

I would LOVE to have a quiet pump. My goal is to have the entire system as quiet as possible.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-27-2015
Mastiffman

Jebao DC 9000!

I have DC6000 and its an Amazing pump. check them out.

Danner are crap compared to these in my opinion.
Old 09-27-2015
rstephenson

Honestly, my Danner is AT LEAST 10 years old !! Still runs strong but I just don't think it's enough.

Think I need the DC 9000 for a 210g tank ?? Or is it just to give it some "extra" circulation and current ??
Old 09-27-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstephenson View Post
Honestly, my Danner is AT LEAST 10 years old !! Still runs strong but I just don't think it's enough.

Think I need the DC 9000 for a 210g tank ?? Or is it just to give it some "extra" circulation and current ??

Sorry. I should been more clear as to why I think that these are better.

You have to take head height into account and use the rated GPH at what specific head height you'll be using it at (I'm guessing around 5ft-5.5ft [1.5-1.7meters] mark).... Then Compare the two pumps at the same price range (danner/PM vs. Jebao) for rated GPH at the height you'll be using the pump at. Then look at the rated wattage usage and reliability and overall manufacturing quality and ease of use, maintenance and repair is needed. Then you can look at any bells and whistles, if any apply.

The Jebao DC series pumps are ran off of 24 volt DC that is transformed from 120vAC from an outlet. So you will be using less wattage overall right there from the get go. 70 watt max rating.

The DC9000 (i.e. 9000 is liters/h) pumps 2,377GPH at Zero feet of head. Looking at Jebaos charts for head height performance, at 1.5m (5ft) to 1.70 (5.5ft) the DC9000 will pump 5,700lit/hr (1,518gph) at 1.5m (5ft) to 5,250 lit/hr (1,395gph) @1.70 (5.5ft).

A Danner Mag-drive 18 is 1800gph at Zero feet of head height. At 5ft it goes down to 1,100gph and about 1,080gph at 5.5ft of head. it would be running near 145 watts (running at that height). The Mag Drive 18 costs a few dollars more than the Jebao DC9000.

Here's the Cool part. The Jebao DC line comes with a 6 speed controller that allows you to lower the Gph and Wattage by 16.67% with each reduction in speed setting. So if you are at 5ft of head and pumping 1,518gph @ 70 watts and you click the speed down from speed 6 (full output speed) down to speed 5. You'd go down to about 1,253 gph and only pulling about 60watts.

So for the Comparison: Paying few dollars less for the Jebao, you'd get and 270gph (speed 5) -540gph (Full speed 6) and you'd be using 75-85 watts less per hour.

Icing on the cake, the Jebao pumps have a soft start feature that is a slow start and ramps up to full speed over the course of 60 seconds or so and also has a 10 minute feed that does that but way slower. Not fully sure what that would be used for but could hold some potential value to someone.

The quality of the Jabeo pumps is very nice. No Twist and lock like the Sicce Silent pump line and it also comes with a few twist on barbs. The ports for the Jebao are both 1.25" but it comes with screw on barbs. It has built in rubber feet as well but I hang mine from the underside of my cabinet with Airline. With the Extra power you get from the Jabeo with half the power usage, you can literally get rid of any dead spots in water flow in the tank.

I use the controller before bed to cut the flow of the tank in half overnight, using only about 25watts on my 120g for 8-9hr while I sleep and flip it back to full output during the day..

So I hope this clears up what I meant. I purchased one and will one day covert all of my breeder tanks over to them.

Final Thought:

I think that you need the Jebao DC9000 for that 210g. Or at least the DC6000.
Old 09-27-2015
rstephenson

Dang.
That's a ton of useful information all wrapped up in one !!

I've been checking out info on the Jebaos. I'm digging some of the features. I like the higher flow rate (of the 9000) and I'm usually one of those "more has got to be better" guys,,,,, but I really appreciate you going into such detail !!!

Seems to be a no-brainer !
Old 09-27-2015
Mastiffman

Glad to help and glad you found it useful.

I don't think that you'll be disappointed at all. I wasn't sure when I ordered and don't know anyone else with them on the net that I've seen or heard. They are awesome Pumps! There are different version of them that are grey also. So I don't think that Jebao had fully locked the patent down for them.

But yeah, exactly! A No Brainer, really.
Old 09-27-2015
rstephenson

The only thing I've been looking at is that I found on a forum someone claimed they were a "knock-off" of an Eco-Tech (I believe). Wait..... maybe a Wave-Live

I can't find what they claim to be the original and honestly, at the price of the Jebao, even if it is basically disposable, it's probably worth the $.

And you actually field testing it helps ease my mind.
I try to learn from other's mistakes as well as their positives

Last edited by rstephenson; 09-27-2015 at 08:29 PM. Reason: added information
Old 09-27-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstephenson View Post
The only thing I've been looking at is that I found on a forum someone claimed they were a "knock-off" of an Eco-Tech (I believe). Wait..... maybe a Wave-Live

I can't find what they claim to be the original and honestly, at the price of the Jebao, even if it is basically disposable, it's probably worth the $.

And you actually field testing it helps ease my mind.
I try to learn from other's mistakes as well as their positives
No, I think that its the other way around. Eco tech seems to be the knok off IMO. Its all grey and no stickers.

But yes, Im running it on my 120g Ulwile tank and have been for months no without one issue. Im going to get more of them for sure.
Old 09-27-2015
rstephenson

Well,,,,,,,, a Jebao DC 9000 has been ordered.

Guess that settles that. LOL

Thanks again for the suggestion and info
Old 09-27-2015
Mastiffman

NICE!

My Pleasure. Keep us posted on the install.

OH Forgot to mention that with other pumps there can be issues with improperly balanced impeller magnets, causing more vibration and hum than there should be.

But not with these. They seem like they are precision balanced or something. The least amount of vibration I've felt in a return pump. I've owned Rio, Danner/ Pond Master, Sicce and these. And this is by far the best one to date.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
rstephenson (09-27-2015)