Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

View Poll Results: with what did you feed your fish and bloat them?
slowly sinking granules - had bloat 1 3.85%
slowly sinking granules - hadn't bloat 6 23.08%
flakes - had bloat 7 26.92%
flakes - hadn't bloat 8 30.77%
pellets - had bloat 6 23.08%
pellets - hadn't bloat 6 23.08%
live food - frozen or not (shrimps, worms) - had bloat 2 7.69%
live food - frozen or not (shrimps, worms) - hadn't bloat 0 0%
my own "DIY" food (mix of vegetables, crustaceans, vitamins) - had bloat 0 0%
my own "DIY" food (mix of vegetables, crustaceans, vitamins) - hadn't bloat 1 3.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2014
JimA

::Profile::
Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Chin View Post
I think a variety of foods are best. Tropheus forage in the wild, they never know what they are going to find along the way. If you could see what they eat in the wild, you would scratch your head and wonder how it could be. Also there are some blooms of different bugs, and shrimp that only happen once year, and you know they are stuffing themselves when this happens.

I primarily feed a cheap green flake high in fiber, and then offer "treats" of other richer foods occassionally, maybe weekly, maybe monthly.

I think they are many good foods out there, but generally speaking I think we have a tendancy to over feed our fish. Its easy to do, they are such good beggars and will eat anything offered.

Remember food is something that YOU have total control over.

In the wild they are lean and mean, and that is what I am striving for.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Great post and info!
The Following User Says Thank You to JimA For This Useful Post:
troph56 (09-14-2014)
Old 08-17-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaswaKeeper View Post
Andrew,
Are you solely feeding Ocean Nutrition: Formula Two pellets or do you use something else also? I am currently using just spirulina flake and I am wondering if I should switch to or add something new.

Thanks
I don't even use Ocean Nutrition any longer.

I use 4 Different foods. Cobalt Spirulina Flake with probiotics (I can get it moderately cheap and easily accessed), Omega One Super Color Kelp sinking pellets, Dainichi Veggie FX and Veggie Deluxe.

I don't feed any treats or anything of that sort to the WC as of yet. I was feeding my F1 colonies a mix of occasional carrots apples and Fresh Baby Leaf Spinach. So I will try that soon... Most likely over the winter once I can focus on it a bit more.

The thing that I think is most important is getting the right healthy combination of food/ ingredients and sticking to it. Switching food If necessary, should be done Very slowly so as not to cause stress.

All living bodies need the right amount of vitamins and minerals in their diet for the proper function of internal processes. Without that they will eventually develop deficiency diseases. If you can get to the point where you are feeding at least a couple of foods with proper complimentary ingredients with some added fresh veggies of some sort you'll support the best health and longevity for any fish.

I do agree with Pam and the others that support multiple foods. Also in the aspect that many new tropheus fry owners want to start stuffing their new fish with food, even if it's good food, it's Still not a good idea. Slow and steady with trophs, IMO, is your best bet.
Old 08-17-2014
1971ls6

Keeping: Ikola, kasanga, Maswa

Andrew, do you make a mixture of all of your pellets and feed that every day? Or do you just grab a different jar each time you feed.

Has anybody used the new nls algeamax food? The numbers look good.
Old 08-17-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971ls6 View Post
Andrew, do you make a mixture of all of your pellets and feed that every day? Or do you just grab a different jar each time you feed.

Has anybody used the new nls algeamax food? The numbers look good.
Good question.

I just measure and add the mix all together in one can and mix well. then also a quick shake each time I feed.
Old 08-17-2014
Thirtypack

Keeping: F1 Kabimba Canary, Malawi Haps and Peacocks

Been reading along here and wondering if any of you use New Era? Im feeding my Malawi tank a mixture of this and NLS pellet. Once I get the trophs set up I plan on feeding a mix of New Era rift lake green, and NLS. Wondering if anyone has any experience with it. It is a very moist pellet. You can actually form it into a ball and stick it to a rock and watch the fish forage off of it. My malawis love it. Ive had good results with NLS, but my lfs started carrying New Era, and told me how great it is. So I tried it. It also has very good reviews, and is used in some very well known public aquariums through out the world. I dont like using flake, it just seems a little messy for me, and pellets never get into the filter.
Old 09-14-2014
tropheus of leeds

Keeping: Brichardi, Kachese, Murago
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirtypack View Post
Been reading along here and wondering if any of you use New Era? Im feeding my Malawi tank a mixture of this and NLS pellet. Once I get the trophs set up I plan on feeding a mix of New Era rift lake green, and NLS. Wondering if anyone has any experience with it. It is a very moist pellet. You can actually form it into a ball and stick it to a rock and watch the fish forage off of it. My malawis love it. Ive had good results with NLS, but my lfs started carrying New Era, and told me how great it is. So I tried it. It also has very good reviews, and is used in some very well known public aquariums through out the world. I dont like using flake, it just seems a little messy for me, and pellets never get into the filter.
Im based in west yorkshire which is only an hour drive from new era factory:-)
Tbh its not bad but I found more you mix better they go.
I use Sera flora, Tropical Spirulina Forte 36% and Ocean Nutrition 2 flake formula.i have all mixed in 1 jar.
I have tried new era, but they werent interested.
Although I feed fresh lettuce and peas like twice a week.
I only use organic or home grown veggies.i bought some in asda
caused a lot of problem, incl.bloat.when my friend checked one of the dead fish under microscope, turn out there was a lot of chemicals in tissue, mostly used for agriculture

Atm my wife only goes to farm shops to buy fresh lettuce for "her" kasangas.
No problems with food from that sort of the shop what so ever.
1 Tropheus sp. Ikola
8 Petrochromis orthognatus Ikola
5 Lethrinops sp. "red cap" Mdoka
1 Petrochromis famula
5 Enantiopius melanogenys
2 males Cyprichromis leptosoma(not sure which variant)
3 Haplochromis sp.flameback
3 Xenotilapia bathyphilus
2 Gnatochromis permaxillaris
Old 12-07-2014
JkdJedi

I use to be anal on the right way to feed Tropheus, how little they should eat and what types of natural food they should eat..all that went out the window when I noticed my fish were still getting bloat now and then. What I've found, by accident really, is that if you feed these guys, I mean really feed them, they will be happy. I use to do the pinch a tank and that's it, leave em hungry for more. Not anymore, I feed these guys up to 4-5 pinches of food now, and have NEVER had a bout with bloat since then. A HAPPY STOMACH IS A HAPPY TROPH.
Old 12-07-2014
supadave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JkdJedi View Post
I use to be anal on the right way to feed Tropheus, how little they should eat and what types of natural food they should eat..all that went out the window when I noticed my fish were still getting bloat now and then. What I've found, by accident really, is that if you feed these guys, I mean really feed them, they will be happy. I use to do the pinch a tank and that's it, leave em hungry for more. Not anymore, I feed these guys up to 4-5 pinches of food now, and have NEVER had a bout with bloat since then. A HAPPY STOMACH IS A HAPPY TROPH.
I agree 100% Jedi . Here in Houston we feed Trophs alot and we very rarely see Bloat .
Old 12-07-2014
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

I pretty much agree as well. Not to say that you cant over feed a tropheus, because you can. I guess what I agree with is that I don't baby them or worry too much about the food thing. I just get to know my colonies and learn the amounts to feed by easing into it and watching their behavior. After some time, you should be able to tell what an over fed tropheus looks and swims like. I guess I feed by eye...or the force!

I feed my tropheus a mix of pellets. Never any flake. This is because through personal experience, I have found that tropheus are not overly sensitive to pellets vs flake. I feel that the improvements in water quality from feeding pellets offer a greater benefit to the tropheus than any benefits that the flake may provide. Flake is dirty and there is no denying that.

One thing that I do think tropheus benefit from is several meals throughout the day if possible in comparison to one large meal. In the wild, they never go from a full tank to an empty tank back to a full tank. They eat constantly. I try to recreate that.

It just seems that if you throw a heavy load on a empty and lightly used system, a clog may be more likely. You will see fish swimming sluggish and wobbly if you feed heavy and only once a day.

I try to keep my tropheus lightly fed and processing food through out the day... never letting the machine wind down. My tropheus behave and swim like they are empty all the time. Never overly bogged down with food. But fed at all times.

I also think Tropheus are pretty tough fish and I don't baby them all that much. Fry as well. I think thats been key to my lack of problems.

Basically, I feed a solid amount of mixed pellets spread over frequent feedings throughout the day when I can and I do very large weekly water changes right out of the tap and mix all my salts/buffers and dechlorinators right in the tank as the water fills.

I also really dont feed flake to fry anymore either. I feed fry a mix of NLS grow(50% protein) blended in equal part with Omega One Super Kelp micro pellets. The water stays nice and clean for a long time and the fry grow well on it.

My adult mix contains NLS Thera A and Omega One Sinking pellets, so any fry I keep transition right onto the adult mix with zero effort.

Anyway, that's my experience and it works for me.

John
Old 06-11-2017
JkdJedi

Regular water changes and filter rinsing is the ONLY thing that's prevented bloat for me, no matter what Tropheus specific food I feed.