Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-04-2015
judyok
Status: Offline
Junior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Male Ilangi in with Duboisi

I received my 2 pair of Ilangi yesterday and I'm thinking ahead to the eventuality of having too many males. In the future can I add the additonal male Ilangis to my Duboisi tank or will that wreak havoc with the Dubs?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-04-2015
dannyt's Avatar
dannyt
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Australian living in Toledo OH
Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!
Posts: 708
Thanks: 228
Thanked 156 Times in 135 Posts
Default

I kept a 100 gal mixed troph's tank for 2 years before I left Australia...dubs, ikola, moliro, bembas & ilangi...was a very active, lively tank. Conspecific breeding still took place though I didn't raise the fry from that tank. The aggression was mainly territory related, not species related. I would say it would be safe to give it a go but be ready to pull them if necessary. Again though I would remove rock work before adding them in and then replace it after 5-7 days.
You may also find that all the males you have coexist anyway if you get the rock placement right, making the removal of extras unnecessary. How big is the Ilangi group and what size is there tank? I recall the initial "?aggressive behavior" vid being maybe a 55gal.
Do you have any pics/vid of the 4 new additions you received from Greg?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dannyt For This Useful Post:
gw12269 (07-06-2015)
  #3  
Old 07-04-2015
judyok
Status: Offline
Junior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
I kept a 100 gal mixed troph's tank for 2 years before I left Australia...dubs, ikola, moliro, bembas & ilangi...was a very active, lively tank. Conspecific breeding still took place though I didn't raise the fry from that tank. The aggression was mainly territory related, not species related. I would say it would be safe to give it a go but be ready to pull them if necessary. Again though I would remove rock work before adding them in and then replace it after 5-7 days.
You may also find that all the males you have coexist anyway if you get the rock placement right, making the removal of extras unnecessary. How big is the Ilangi group and what size is there tank? I recall the initial "?aggressive behavior" vid being maybe a 55gal.
Do you have any pics/vid of the 4 new additions you received from Greg?
I'll try to get pics of the new Ilangi and one female is holding. The tank is a 75 gallon. So far I'm happy with the way they are behaving no lip locking, no torn fins, just chasing. I did divide the rock into 2 piles at either in of the tank.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-04-2015
dannyt's Avatar
dannyt
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Australian living in Toledo OH
Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!
Posts: 708
Thanks: 228
Thanked 156 Times in 135 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyok View Post
I'll try to get pics of the new Ilangi and one female is holding. The tank is a 75 gallon. So far I'm happy with the way they are behaving no lip locking, no torn fins, just chasing. I did divide the rock into 2 piles at either in of the tank.
75 gal should be good...the extra width over a 55 helps...my bembas and ikola lip locked all the time...my dubs & moliro just chased...my ilangi were juvies 2" or so and just moved with the flow of the tank never gaining territory.
Looking forward to seeing The new additions and your rock placement. Happy dAys to have a girl holding already. Be great if the responsible male was from outside the group to add more genetic diversity. Guess no way of knowing that though...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-04-2015
judyok
Status: Offline
Junior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
75 gal should be good...the extra width over a 55 helps...my bembas and ikola lip locked all the time...my dubs & moliro just chased...my ilangi were juvies 2" or so and just moved with the flow of the tank never gaining territory.
Looking forward to seeing The new additions and your rock placement. Happy dAys to have a girl holding already. Be great if the responsible male was from outside the group to add more genetic diversity. Guess no way of knowing that though...
I'm going to post a video of what I have and your right no genetic diversity for thisbatch of fry, but I do have 7 from a different sources. These fry are still to small so it will be some months before they reach breeding age. You'll see the difference in size in the video.
http://vid1378.photobucket.com/album...psbgx49w5z.mp4
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-04-2015
judyok
Status: Offline
Junior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Here are a few photos of the holding female.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-05-2015
dannyt's Avatar
dannyt
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Australian living in Toledo OH
Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!
Posts: 708
Thanks: 228
Thanked 156 Times in 135 Posts
Default

looking good!! Like the new rock placement...are you seeing any reduction in aggression?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-05-2015
judyok
Status: Offline
Junior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
looking good!! Like the new rock placement...are you seeing any reduction in aggression?
They all seem to be doing better and they've had a couple of days to get adjusted.

Are those 2 fish in your avatar for real?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-05-2015
dannyt's Avatar
dannyt
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Australian living in Toledo OH
Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!
Posts: 708
Thanks: 228
Thanked 156 Times in 135 Posts
Default

Ha ha yep...that was 2 of my ikolas that lip locked on & off all day long 😀
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-05-2015
judyok
Status: Offline
Junior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
Ha ha yep...that was 2 of my ikolas that lip locked on & off all day long 😀
Beautiful!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
duboisi, ilangi, male

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: WC Ilangi Male Tropheus26 Buy, Sell & Trade 1 09-17-2014 03:23 AM
20+ Ilangi and around 9 duboisi for sale btreut Buy, Sell & Trade 9 04-11-2012 07:53 PM
Male Petro Longola Male for sale (Show quality) dww-law Buy, Sell & Trade 2 03-06-2011 11:11 PM
T. Duboisi Male behavior Jrbama Tropheus Talk 2 10-25-2010 07:10 PM
Pictures of my xanthic subadult male Ilangi Fish Geek Tropheus Species & Variants 8 09-16-2009 11:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.