Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 07-04-2015
judyok

::Profile::
Default Male Ilangi in with Duboisi

I received my 2 pair of Ilangi yesterday and I'm thinking ahead to the eventuality of having too many males. In the future can I add the additonal male Ilangis to my Duboisi tank or will that wreak havoc with the Dubs?
Old 07-04-2015
dannyt

Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

I kept a 100 gal mixed troph's tank for 2 years before I left Australia...dubs, ikola, moliro, bembas & ilangi...was a very active, lively tank. Conspecific breeding still took place though I didn't raise the fry from that tank. The aggression was mainly territory related, not species related. I would say it would be safe to give it a go but be ready to pull them if necessary. Again though I would remove rock work before adding them in and then replace it after 5-7 days.
You may also find that all the males you have coexist anyway if you get the rock placement right, making the removal of extras unnecessary. How big is the Ilangi group and what size is there tank? I recall the initial "?aggressive behavior" vid being maybe a 55gal.
Do you have any pics/vid of the 4 new additions you received from Greg?
The Following User Says Thank You to dannyt For This Useful Post:
gw12269 (07-06-2015)
Old 07-04-2015
judyok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
I kept a 100 gal mixed troph's tank for 2 years before I left Australia...dubs, ikola, moliro, bembas & ilangi...was a very active, lively tank. Conspecific breeding still took place though I didn't raise the fry from that tank. The aggression was mainly territory related, not species related. I would say it would be safe to give it a go but be ready to pull them if necessary. Again though I would remove rock work before adding them in and then replace it after 5-7 days.
You may also find that all the males you have coexist anyway if you get the rock placement right, making the removal of extras unnecessary. How big is the Ilangi group and what size is there tank? I recall the initial "?aggressive behavior" vid being maybe a 55gal.
Do you have any pics/vid of the 4 new additions you received from Greg?
I'll try to get pics of the new Ilangi and one female is holding. The tank is a 75 gallon. So far I'm happy with the way they are behaving no lip locking, no torn fins, just chasing. I did divide the rock into 2 piles at either in of the tank.
Old 07-04-2015
dannyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyok View Post
I'll try to get pics of the new Ilangi and one female is holding. The tank is a 75 gallon. So far I'm happy with the way they are behaving no lip locking, no torn fins, just chasing. I did divide the rock into 2 piles at either in of the tank.
75 gal should be good...the extra width over a 55 helps...my bembas and ikola lip locked all the time...my dubs & moliro just chased...my ilangi were juvies 2" or so and just moved with the flow of the tank never gaining territory.
Looking forward to seeing The new additions and your rock placement. Happy dAys to have a girl holding already. Be great if the responsible male was from outside the group to add more genetic diversity. Guess no way of knowing that though...
Old 07-04-2015
judyok

Quote:
75 gal should be good...the extra width over a 55 helps...my bembas and ikola lip locked all the time...my dubs & moliro just chased...my ilangi were juvies 2" or so and just moved with the flow of the tank never gaining territory.
Looking forward to seeing The new additions and your rock placement. Happy dAys to have a girl holding already. Be great if the responsible male was from outside the group to add more genetic diversity. Guess no way of knowing that though...
I'm going to post a video of what I have and your right no genetic diversity for thisbatch of fry, but I do have 7 from a different sources. These fry are still to small so it will be some months before they reach breeding age. You'll see the difference in size in the video.
http://vid1378.photobucket.com/album...psbgx49w5z.mp4
Old 07-04-2015
judyok

Here are a few photos of the holding female.
Old 07-05-2015
dannyt

looking good!! Like the new rock placement...are you seeing any reduction in aggression?
Old 07-05-2015
judyok

Quote:
looking good!! Like the new rock placement...are you seeing any reduction in aggression?
They all seem to be doing better and they've had a couple of days to get adjusted.

Are those 2 fish in your avatar for real?
Old 07-05-2015
dannyt

Ha ha yep...that was 2 of my ikolas that lip locked on & off all day long 😀
Old 07-05-2015
judyok

Quote:
Ha ha yep...that was 2 of my ikolas that lip locked on & off all day long 😀
Beautiful!