Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tankmates

Notices

Tropheus Tankmates Discussion of compatible Tropheus tankmates.

Old 12-18-2013
CiscoKid

::Profile::
Keeping: Maswa, considering other colonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
I have to agree with respectfully Vman.

I have been keeping a Breeding pair of F1 Black Ink Fins with my Ikola for about 2 years now. They have spawned a few times as well. They are currently in a 6ft 120g tank and have learned to eat or starve in with those hogathas! They eat the same Ocean nutrition food as the Trophs and look great! I'm currently growing out around 26 fry from them.

I have Kept a breeding pair of F1 Leleupi, WC Petrochromis Trews, WC Eretmodus Cyanos all with my WC Maswa in 135g and they are All Spawning regularly.
It's actually good to get this new perspective. The (Inkfin) Calvus that I have that aren't rushing in for food are very small, so that may be why my experiences with them have been different. Calvus have quickly become one of my favorite fish, and I've been trying to think of a way to keep more of them without getting another tank. With this new info, I actually might start to consider getting a larger pair or 2 for the Troph tank.

I'm guessing that if I did add the Calvus I'd pretty much have to strip and raise the (Maswa) fry separately, right?
Old 12-18-2013
ExReefer

I have kept various shell dwellers with trophs as well. They keep to themselves and don't require much of the tank space to thrive.
Old 12-18-2013
Troyale

Keeping: WC Nkonde, F1 Red Ndole, WC/F1 Bulu Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat View Post
So both Calvus and Juli?
I would say go for both with the trophs. A few of each would work nicely in a 90 with trophs. I have some Julie regani in with my trophs and petros in a 135 and they get along great. I'm currently setting up a 180 and plan to put 47 trophs, 4-5 julie regani, 4 yellow comps, 1 black calvus & 1gold head. I have a 55g with with the comps & calvus and I feed them the same food as my trophs and they gobble it down aggressively.
Old 12-18-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat View Post
So both Calvus and Juli?
SHouldn't be a problem as long as theres proper scaping. Might do better in a 6ft tank and at least fins will all look better more frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiscoKid View Post
It's actually good to get this new perspective. The (Inkfin) Calvus that I have that aren't rushing in for food are very small, so that may be why my experiences with them have been different. Calvus have quickly become one of my favorite fish, and I've been trying to think of a way to keep more of them without getting another tank. With this new info, I actually might start to consider getting a larger pair or 2 for the Troph tank.

I'm guessing that if I did add the Calvus I'd pretty much have to strip and raise the (Maswa) fry separately, right?
Probably be better, but I wouldn't say that it's impossible to have fry survive successfully in a tank with Altos.. They are designed to get into tight vertical places to retreve fry with the "Compressed" bodies. BUT, if you have a pile of rocks that only fry could get into, then you might better off. Shoot at the point that Mother feels comfortable, the fry might be big enough that the Altos don't even think about trying to get them. It's worth a try either way and if you don't see any fry after a female holds full term and then spits.... Then you might want to start stripping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExReefer View Post
I have kept various shell dwellers with trophs as well. They keep to themselves and don't require much of the tank space to thrive.
I agree. Most pairing Africans that I have will typically stay within a genreal parameter of the tank with occasional ventures across the tank or with feedings.
Old 12-21-2013
wharfrat

Keeping: Ikola

Well I think I have decided on a pair of Julidochromis Regani Kipili; however, I was wondering if any lamprologines will work other than Altos?

Last edited by wharfrat; 12-21-2013 at 11:34 PM.