Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tankmates

Notices

Tropheus Tankmates Discussion of compatible Tropheus tankmates.

Old 12-16-2013
wharfrat

::Profile::
Keeping: Ikola
Default what are possible tank mates for a 90 gallon?

I was wondering if a pair of Julidochromis Regani Kipili will work in a 90 gallon. If not would an Inkfin Calvus or Goldhead Comp work or are they too slow moving. I would really like some other tank mates for contrast. The more color the better. I would really love Cyps; however, I know this is a stretch. I would like something other than Gobie...but if so, should I get Tanganicodus or Eretmodus Cyan? Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 12-17-2013
gw12269

Keeping: Polli, Murago, Lufubu

I have kept both gobies you have listed, although they are rowdy and will eat your fry if you let your Trophs spit in the tank. I have also kept comps with my trophs. Right now I have two Telmatochromis a Syno along with a group of Petro Trewavasae in a 180 with my Trophs. The Syno has been interfering with my red rainbows breeding so he is coming out soon.
Follow me on twitter @buckslayerwells
The Following User Says Thank You to gw12269 For This Useful Post:
wharfrat (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013
CiscoKid

Keeping: Maswa, considering other colonies

I can't speak to keeping the others with Trophs because I've never done it, but I can say that I don't think keeping Calvus with them would work well. Other than the diet differences, the main problem I see is that the two eat at completely different speeds. Trophs really attack food, whereas my Calvus (in a different tank) *mostly* wait for the food to drop to them. One way to somewhat overcome that is to "dump" a larger amount of sinking food into the tank at once in different places to allow a larger area of food in the water column to allow the Calvus to compete. For the most part, this would mean larger, less-frequent feedings rather than the smaller, more frequent feedings that are better for the Trophs, and I think that would create issues long-term. Calvus are specially adapted to eat fry and younger fish - they certainly wouldn't be good if you were looking to let your Trophs spit like gw12269 mentioned.
The Following User Says Thank You to CiscoKid For This Useful Post:
wharfrat (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013
wharfrat

Would the Juli's work with the 20 ikola? How about some sort of Cyps like leptisoma?
Old 12-17-2013
Vman

Keeping: Kasanga

I disagree with Calvus and comps not being able to eat as fast as Trophs.I've got a dozen of booth and you should see them in action. No problem.At first they might be shy then they will be fine. I love the contrast between both. My Trophs are always riding the current and the Calvus and Comps hover around.I also keep 2 types of buffalo heads which are interesting to watch.I tried the Eretmodus but got rid of them due to aggression.They kept on bullying one another. I got rid of one then the one left went after the buffalo heads.
Old 12-18-2013
Mastiffman

I have to agree with respectfully Vman.

I have been keeping a Breeding pair of F1 Black Ink Fins with my Ikola for about 2 years now. They have spawned a few times as well. They are currently in a 6ft 120g tank and have learned to eat or starve in with those hogathas! They eat the same Ocean nutrition food as the Trophs and look great! I'm currently growing out around 26 fry from them.

I have Kept a breeding pair of F1 Leleupi, WC Petrochromis Trews, WC Eretmodus Cyanos all with my WC Maswa in 135g and they are All Spawning regularly.
Old 12-18-2013
wharfrat

Do you think a pair White or Inkfin Calvus or a pair of Jul. Regani Kipili would be a better fit for the 90?
Old 12-18-2013
Trophaolic

Keeping: Duboisi, Eret kigoma, Comp Chaitika, Bulu Point Leleupi

Agree with Vman and Andrew. I have a pair of yellow comp and a pair of Eret Kigoma with my trophs and they do learn to come and get it or be hungry... :-).
Old 12-18-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat View Post
Do you think a pair White or Inkfin Calvus or a pair of Jul. Regani Kipili would be a better fit for the 90?

By themselves? No way, throw them in with the Trophs once acclimated.
Old 12-18-2013
wharfrat

So both Calvus and Juli?