Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 12-06-2013
jrock

::Profile::
Keeping: WC Chilanga, F1 Illangi, ikola, Duboisi, Bemba
Default Fluval 405 media setup

hi i am looking for a little help here. i have a used fluval 405 cannister and i want to add it to my 90g troph tank. Currently the tank is using 2 ac 110 hob and a rena xp2. I had this 405 laying around and want to put it to use until i can get my 2 xp4s for this tank and remove the HOBs.
My question is what should i put in the 4 baskets? The media i curently have are: eheim brown rocks and ehiem ceramic tubes i also have bio balls and filter floss. I already know where the fluval foam goes. and i have a pack of purigen to put in as well. any help woould be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 12-06-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
hi i am looking for a little help here. i have a used fluval 405 cannister and i want to add it to my 90g troph tank. Currently the tank is using 2 ac 110 hob and a rena xp2. I had this 405 laying around and want to put it to use until i can get my 2 xp4s for this tank and remove the HOBs.
My question is what should i put in the 4 baskets? The media i curently have are: eheim brown rocks and ehiem ceramic tubes i also have bio balls and filter floss. I already know where the fluval foam goes. and i have a pack of purigen to put in as well. any help woould be greatly appreciated.

thanks
I have a 404 and that all sounds good.

being that the 404 water flows up through the baskets, I would put the Fluval Bio-Foam in the Bottom Basket and then bio media in the other 3 baskets. you should be good to go then. Filter floss will clog quickly but will make the tank crystal clear if you just leave that 404 for polishing purposes..
Old 12-06-2013
jrock

Keeping: WC Chilanga, F1 Illangi, ikola, Duboisi, Bemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
I have a 404 and that all sounds good.

being that the 404 water flows up through the baskets, I would put the Fluval Bio-Foam in the Bottom Basket and then bio media in the other 3 baskets. you should be good to go then. Filter floss will clog quickly but will make the tank crystal clear if you just leave that 404 for polishing purposes..
and the purigen pack where should that go
Old 12-06-2013
dahling

Keeping: Kasanga, Mpulungu

I put my Purigen after the coarse mechanical and biological media. Under the floss or over doesn't matter. You don't want coarse debris clogging up the Purigen bag.
Old 12-06-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
and the purigen pack where should that go
Dead last, IMO. On top of the Top Tray! lol

Reason being is that 180 micron welded bags that SeaChem makes and recommends might get clogged faster if they are placed sooner than dead last in the order of flow...

Anyone feel free to chime in if I'm mistaken. I love to learn.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
h.anderson54 (03-29-2014)
Old 12-06-2013
1971ls6

Keeping: Ikola, kasanga, Maswa

Agree on the purgen , that's why my 406 dumps into a 5 micron sock with the purigen sitting on two of the 406 foam blocks. I replace the 5 micron sock about every 3-4 weeks and recharge the purigen. I keep 2 sets of purigen and 5 socks in rotation. When dirty, I use the 50/50 bleach mix and soak the purigen for an hour, then rinse it and soak it in safe and water for 24 hours, repeat the next day, I use 3 capfuls in 1 gallon of soak water. With the bleach water still clean, I soak the 5 micron sock for 24 hours, rinse real good and then soak in the prime. I leave the bleach and rinse buckets in the garage while doing it, no idea if the cold soak this winter is better than room temp?
Mastiffman (12-07-2013)
Old 12-06-2013
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Where do you get 5 micron socks?

BTW...K1 filter is running! Just tweeking it a bit and Ill start a thread.
Old 12-07-2013
CiscoKid

Keeping: Maswa, considering other colonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971ls6 View Post
Agree on the purgen , that's why my 406 dumps into a 5 micron sock with the purigen sitting on two of the 406 foam blocks.
Not sure I'm following this. The Purigen is inside the canister, or do you have a sock with the Purigen wrapped around the output tube? The "dumps onto" is throwing me for some reason. The reason I ask is if you have it wrapped around the output tube that would be pretty different and I'm always interested in different ways to do things

I would have also voted "dead last" on the flow order placement - I keep mine just before the final polishing pads in my canisters. The only reason I don't keep it after the final pad is JIC a bag rips open - the final floss pad should prevent the possibility of a "Purigen snowstorm" in the unlikely event that should happen.
Old 12-07-2013
1971ls6

Keeping: Ikola, kasanga, Maswa

5 micron socks are on eBay for like $5 delivered

I have the out put of the 406 dump into the 5 micron sock. I want the purigen above the water line in. The dump, hence I use the 2-406 foam on it long Alix and rest the purgen on top, then the out flow floods over the purigen, as the socks plugs up, the water level in the sock rises and submerges the purgen. When the water level nears the top, I put in the 2nd set of purigen and sock.
CiscoKid (12-07-2013)
Old 12-07-2013
CiscoKid

Keeping: Maswa, considering other colonies
Puppydogeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971ls6 View Post
5 micron socks are on eBay for like $5 delivered

I have the out put of the 406 dump into the 5 micron sock. I want the purigen above the water line in. The dump, hence I use the 2-406 foam on it long Alix and rest the purgen on top, then the out flow floods over the purigen, as the socks plugs up, the water level in the sock rises and submerges the purgen. When the water level nears the top, I put in the 2nd set of purigen and sock.
Interesting - that sounds very different. How do you attach the sock to the output tube? Can you post a pic? I don't think I'd use that type of system on my canister returns, but something like that might work very well on the over-tank filter I'm currently building.