Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Photo Gallery Discussion

Notices

Tropheus Photo Gallery Discussion Share and discuss pictures of your Tropheus and aquariums.

Old 02-08-2013
tiller25

::Profile::
Keeping: T. Duboisi Maswa, T. Moorii Kasanga, T. Black "bulu point"
Default New duboisi tank set-up

Hey everyone. Here are some pics of my new duboisi tank as a few members requested in my "hello from NC" post. This is a 40b grow out tank for now until I set-up the main display tank after a short moving coming up. The tank is filtered by a Emperor 400 biowheel and a very well established sponge filter hooked up to a maxi-jet powerhead for extra flow. The lighting is powered by a compact florescent fixture with 1 65w 6,500K bulb (thats why some pics are more yellow then in person). Right now I have 11 Tropheus Duboisi Maswa juvies in there that are all 1" and some java fern I am trying to attach to rocks.

I apologize for the bad pics in advance. First as most of you know, these guys are hard to snap a good pic because these little guys never stop moving, lol! Very active little buggers, I love it. Second, This tank is in a narrow corner so I cannot get a full tank shot from the front, but here they are anyway.

Also I am an experienced tanganyikan keeper, BUT this is my first troph tank. I welcome any and all comments and suggestions/improvements of this tank and/or my future tanks.

A quick side note about the piece of driftwood I used, the fish LOVE IT! At any one time I can find about half the group swimming and "playing" around the wood. It has been in some of my past tanks so there are no more tannins leaching into the water and I threw it in the tank since it was laying around and it looks interesting (I also like natural looking displays). So if anyone was questioning about using some driftwood in their tank, IMO go for it.

Full tank shot

Some pics of the juvies

Old 02-08-2013
playtime

Keeping: moori mbita'ikola'illangi'
Send a message via MSN to playtime Send a message via Yahoo to playtime

I like the setup but if I might add a suggestion dubs look k better on a blue backgroung nice tank
tho acrilic tanks sometimes come with black already but great job
Old 02-08-2013
Matt

Keeping: Bemba "Orange Flame"

nice setup.

Those dubs are FAT. Clearly healthy and eating well haha
Old 02-08-2013
tiller25

Playtime- I agree with the black bodies of the dubs their color does show better against blue. This tank however came with a black back round and I had it sitting around as well as the sand until I decided to get these guys, so...it works for now. The main display will either be a stone or blue back round. I could never stand bright white rocks in my other tanganyikan tanks (always used darker river rock) but I have to say that these guys just pop with them. They have great blue hues to their spots around the head area that just look amazing over the white rock.

Matt- These guys are little pigs! I got them from a local breeder only after seeing every one of his fish, plus the parents of these juvies, are in great health. I continued feeding them what they were being fed tat the breeders but I am going to introduce them to a new spirulina flake soon. Thats a great looking Bemba in your avatar, its quickly becoming on of my favorite trophs!

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 02-08-2013
electriceelcat
Site Advisor

Keeping: Wild caught chipmunks & wild Nkonde
Send a message via AIM to electriceelcat

They are too fat. Be very careful. Do you have any meds on hand?
Old 02-08-2013
moganman

Why would he need meds? That over feeding causing bloat is a lie. If he power feeds and does adequate amounts of water changes I don't see anything wrong with the way the fish look.
Old 02-08-2013
Matt

I'm no expert on power feeding. I'm sure it's fantastic for their growth rate, but just for my own curiosity, is there a risk of deforming or stretching their stomachs when they are so full?

As an aside (unrelated to whether or not your fish are going to get sick in the immediate fututre) it is always good to have meds on hand just incase. I like to keep at least enough to treat my tank for 4-5 days on a heavy dose, just to buy me enough time to order more... Although if you have a LFS that reliably has metro (or your choice of med) in stock, it might not be necessary... The only places I can get metro locally don't always have it (and they charge ~$12 for a 5g vial), so I keep some on hand.
Old 02-08-2013
moganman

The highest and only risk of deformation IMO happens at birth and in the egg stage. I agree, it is imperative to have meds in case something happens. Even the experts have their days. I wouldn't recommend anyone keep tropheus without having meds to treat. But I do think the fish are fine. I know people who feed shrimp to their fish with no issues. It's all about the water changes and feeding fresh foods.
Old 02-08-2013
Matt

interesting. I have also only ever noticed deformation in fry, but I've also never had fish quite so full... I would assume their stomachs are probably quite elastic, but I would be hesitant filling up my fish any more than tiller has them now. From a physiology perspective, I would think that there is probably a point at which the elasticity is maxed out, and going past that you would cause permanent stretching or even damage to the tissue. But I could be wrong about that... I don't have an Ichthyology degree...yet.
Old 02-08-2013
tiller25

wow, I didnt know that they were too fat. I feed 2x a day and it has been on the light side (or so I thought). Is the concern bloat? I do have some metro on order with some food I mentioned above. Thanks for telling me guys! I will pull back the food amounts and monitor health. Tomorrow will mark one week in the tank so I am doing a 25% water change.